SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

LexusFTW's Quest for More Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 10:02 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LexusFTW's Quest for More Horsepower

My journey began with a 1997 SC400 that I picked up from Chris at Science of Speed in Arizona a few years ago. After seeing the car listed on Clublexus, I flew out to pick it up and made the ~18 hour trip back home in 2 days.

I drove the car for a couple weeks and the initial tear down began. 9 months later, I had a 2jz-gte V160 monster. After Justin Nenni got it dialed in, the car made 748 whp on C16. I was having severe boost creep issues so I couldn't make any more than 25 psi on a weak wastegate spring. On pump + meth, the car made 662 whp. Later, I decided to increase the meth injection and boost and put down 720 whp.

Now, the car sits in the garage on 4 jack stands awaiting it's next series of upgrades. I decided to ditch the open scroll manifold in favor of a twin scroll with a 1.15 housing (previously a 0.96) and I ditched the Tial 44mm for a Precision 46mm wastegate. I installed FIC 2150cc injectors and I literally just completed plumbing for the new Magnafuel 750 fuel pump (previously running dual Walbros intank).

I'll update this thread as things progress but ufortunately, the car won't be ready for TX2K11

Here are pictures of the new fuel system mounted in the spare tire well.

Old 03-01-11, 10:15 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is WOW! nice numbers
Old 03-01-11, 10:23 PM
Strokergsr
Driver

2 thumbs up for Fuel Injector Clinic
Old 03-01-11, 10:27 PM
BigSticks
Lead Lap

how did you have your dual walbro's set up? stock hanger or a mount?
Old 03-02-11, 05:16 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy gas sucking monster
Old 03-02-11, 07:58 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigSticks
how did you have your dual walbro's set up? stock hanger or a mount?
They were run on the stock hanger and I modified the fuel cover for 2 -6AN fittings and ran one to each pump. On the outside of the cover, I ran two -6AN lines to each end of the fuel rail with inline filters.
Old 03-02-11, 09:11 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Always a pleasure to see this car.
Old 03-02-11, 09:21 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Aww man you're going to be busy no more black ops ha ha. Your new setup looks good. I need to look up that MagnaFuel pump, right now I have an intank Walbro feeding in-line Bosch 044with -8 feed to 1600's.
Old 03-02-11, 09:36 AM
nlc
Pole Position

whats the price tag on this upgrade from the dual pump setup? im guessing your still running the -6 to the fuel rail on both ends still right? Im thinking about doing something similar to this setup for my e85 project. I jus dont know if it will be enough or if id have to make scratch the dual setup n run my aeromotive a1000 pump instead. I want to run e85 full time. this setup is in a daily driven 500whp tsx but u get the idea.

Last edited by nlc; 03-02-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-02-11, 09:49 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

well alot of what you said was a foriegn language to me as im not very knowledgable in turbos and all the fixings, but those hp numbers speak loud and clear-------would love to see a vid if possible
Old 03-02-11, 11:27 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

^ youtube lexusftw

OP, nice numbers and shame that it won't be done by TX2K11, I was planning on going for the first time :x

Good luck either way!
Old 03-02-11, 11:50 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
Aww man you're going to be busy no more black ops ha ha. Your new setup looks good. I need to look up that MagnaFuel pump, right now I have an intank Walbro feeding in-line Bosch 044with -8 feed to 1600's.
LOL I know man. I haven't been on in a few days

You're definitely going to want to upgrade to dual Bosch in parallel or a single pump. I chose single pump for simplicity because the SC tank is dumb.

Originally Posted by nlc
whats the price tag on this upgrade from the dual pump setup? im guessing your still running the -6 to the fuel rail on both ends still right? Im thinking about doing something similar to this setup for my e85 project. I jus dont know if it will be enough or if id have to make scratch the dual setup n run my aeromotive a1000 pump instead. I want to run e85 full time. this setup is in a daily driven 500whp tsx but u get the idea.
That looks like a killer setup. The upgrade has been more expensive than I imagined. By the time it's all said and done, I'll probably have close to $1k in it. Too bad I didn't go this way the first time...

Yes, I'm running a -12 feed out the bottom of the tank and it Y's into dual -6 lines in front of the rear subframe. I also welded a -6 on the tank for the return. I'm not sure how much the a1000 will support on e85 but if you're going to upgrade, I'd look at their eliminator pump.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well alot of what you said was a foriegn language to me as im not very knowledgable in turbos and all the fixings, but those hp numbers speak loud and clear-------would love to see a vid if possible
LOL here's the latest video from Aug 2010 from out little get together.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/okla...et_2048917.htm

Originally Posted by vietunit
^ youtube lexusftw

OP, nice numbers and shame that it won't be done by TX2K11, I was planning on going for the first time :x

Good luck either way!
Dude, I know! Oh well, I'll be still be there so give me a shout if you see me around. I'm sure Cherplex and I will be hanging out together some of the time.
Old 05-09-11, 08:53 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw that video you posted looks like some pretty sweet fun and not to far from us TX folk. I think I saw your car at TX2k10 but that was the last time I went as well.

I'm also in the market for doing a fuel system hopefully this summer sometime if you wouldn't mind posting some details about how you did your setup. Im really interested in how you did that drain fitting and if you had to remove the tank to do it. By the looks of it I'd say you put the pump there to be lower than the tank any other reason why you put it there.

I found that setup that nlc mentioned on some evo forum where they ran the stock feed with a walbro to a fuel sump tank with an a1000, they also modify the return to come there and I'm not sure what the other line is for. I know the walbro would fill that sump pretty quick with a pressure drop but I kind of wonder how it would perform on a long hwy pull, cause you don't want to loose fuel during high boost on the hwy.

Figure I might as well ask questions before I do mine and do something I end up regretting. If I'm thread jacking my apologies but send me a pm if you got some info either way I'm subscribing.
Old 05-09-11, 11:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing this monster in action next time we have a meet.

You must have the fastest SC in the whole state?
Old 05-10-11, 06:21 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shonuff53
I saw that video you posted looks like some pretty sweet fun and not to far from us TX folk. I think I saw your car at TX2k10 but that was the last time I went as well.

I'm also in the market for doing a fuel system hopefully this summer sometime if you wouldn't mind posting some details about how you did your setup. Im really interested in how you did that drain fitting and if you had to remove the tank to do it. By the looks of it I'd say you put the pump there to be lower than the tank any other reason why you put it there.

I found that setup that nlc mentioned on some evo forum where they ran the stock feed with a walbro to a fuel sump tank with an a1000, they also modify the return to come there and I'm not sure what the other line is for. I know the walbro would fill that sump pretty quick with a pressure drop but I kind of wonder how it would perform on a long hwy pull, cause you don't want to loose fuel during high boost on the hwy.

Figure I might as well ask questions before I do mine and do something I end up regretting. If I'm thread jacking my apologies but send me a pm if you got some info either way I'm subscribing.
Yes sir, that was my car at TX2K10.

The fuel setup was pretty simple but it took some trial and error to get it right.

I removed the fuel tank and drilled out the stock fuel feed and return lines. The feed line was drilled out with a 1" bit and the return line was drilled out with a 1/2" bit. Only do this after you completely wash the inside of the tank to get all the remaining hydrocarbons out. I used water and dawn to wash it out.
Next I welded a -12AN bung for the feed and a -6AN bung for the return. When I installed the fuel tank and filled it with fuel, I found a leak around the area where the bungs were welded. The stock lines have a rubber boot to seal an area that was stamped when the tank was assembled. Since I got rid of the rubber boot, the stamped area was leaking. I had to remove the tank and have that area welded after washing it again. Just an FYI.

The setup you describe is a surge tank. It's a common setup and definitely the way to go but I decided not to run it for a couple reasons:

1. The surge tank requires a fuel pump to pump into the surge tank. After calculating the amount of E85 needed for 1000whp, I would have to feed the surge tank with 2 bosch 044 or similar fuel pumps to keep up with the amount of fuel needed during back to back highway pulls.

2. The reason I went with the Magnafuel is because I wanted to eliminate multiple pumps. If I went with a surge tank setup it would defeat the purpose of getting rid of multiple failure points.

I put the Magnafuel pump there because it does sit lower than the fuel tank and the pump works best when it is gravity fed rather than pulling fuel. Some people have pulled fuel with these pumps and haven't had a problem but I decided to go this route because I had the chance to. I even had a custom fuel pickup tube made that I'm trying to sell that would work perfect for dual Bosch pumps or any external pump setup if you're interested.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-17-11 at 09:08 AM. Reason: check pm

Quick Reply: LexusFTW's Quest for More Horsepower