YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn 7700 u can get a 6-speed 2JZgte and have it swapped in and all wtf lol
Old 03-02-11, 01:55 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

first off sorry to hear... 3900 aint bad... sucks it didnt have the rebuilt engine as they stated. how is the rest of the car?

secondly, they are raping you for 7700 for a rebuild like everyone said, buy a used motor and have another shop drop it on for you.
Old 03-02-11, 01:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
the first engine posted here has 130 000 miles? that would be a very unwise purchase.

The second two dont say how many miles---i would be weary with them also.

I hope I never need to purchase a used engine-------its a roll of the dice everytime unfortunately

although the pricing seems right at least
Old 03-02-11, 02:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by vietunit
1WILLY1, Nazifornia is pretty damn strict about modded cars. Smog is always issue but not that bad as long as you "know" someone. I have a few friends that have swapped cars and honestly its not that bad as long as you drive responsibly.

Tabaka, can't wait for it too haha!
interesting-------will they not pass your car unless it has the original engine?

And to the op------didnt you buy this car off someone that claimed to be a friend of the owner?

Cant you do the same thing if u decided to sell?

It might be wise to seell this car for what you can get, maybe 2 grand if everything is in good shape ---or more who knows-----this engine swapping thing is not as easy as some people will have u believe----can be VERY costly--especially if things dont go perfectly.
Old 03-02-11, 02:57 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

California sucks because they have a stupid number of laws mainly aimed at preventing people from modifying their vehicles. (And owning guns, but don't get me started on that)

Yet you can open a store and sell marijuana out of it even though that's a federal crime and not one California police officer will prevent you.

Let me out it this way: a ticket for tint is alot harsher than a ticket for weed
Old 03-02-11, 05:36 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your car somewhere else and get a second opinion! That mechanic is a nut job.
Old 03-02-11, 06:03 PM
coolewong
Driver

Just got it back from the mechanic... he told me the engine is mixed of oil and water now... and he strongly recommended me to rebuild it as it's hard to look for a decent engine now...
don't know what else can I do now..
Old 03-02-11, 06:07 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

plently of places in norcal for a engine call atarco in San Jose they have engines for days\\http://www.attarco.com/index.php?mai...&sort=1&page=1
Old 03-02-11, 06:10 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

1WILLY1, the problem with the 1j in California is that since that engine was never sold in the US it wasn't CARB certified and therefore can't pass California emissions. CARB is the California Air Resources Board and certifies that products meet Californias strict emissions standards. If you look at intake or exhaust parts you will see notes that state whether an item is CARB certified to be legal in California or not. Thats why SCs originally sold in California have two catalytic converters, CARB mandates stricter standards than the rest of the country.

To the OP, swap in a lower mileage ge motor, check the classifieds here for great deals. The board has a huge Cali contingent so there should be someone close to you.
Old 03-02-11, 06:11 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U can still sale the vehicle even tho its not registered under your name. As long as you have the title, and a bill of sale you can transfer that over to the new owner.

I did this a few years back when I had bought a lemon. Got rid of it immediately after I found out all the problems it had.
Old 03-02-11, 06:14 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by coolewong
Just got it back from the mechanic... he told me the engine is mixed of oil and water now... and he strongly recommended me to rebuild it as it's hard to look for a decent engine now...
don't know what else can I do now..
If its just a blown head gasket it shouldn't be very expensive, especially if you can do the work yourself. Doing that would keep you going until you can find a good engine to swap.
Old 03-02-11, 06:16 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
If its just a blown head gasket it shouldn't be very expensive, especially if you can do the work yourself. Doing that would keep you going until you can find a good engine to swap.
IF you can do it yourself.

If you do not want to rebuild engine, your best bet is either to.

1. Part out the car
2. Swap the motor
3. Meet some cool CL people who will help you swap the motor
Old 03-02-11, 06:25 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
the mechanic said since i've already got 230k miles, it's not a good idea to change head gasket only..
Old 03-02-11, 06:33 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Your mechanic is a moron, I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

Change the HG, timing belt, and water pump and move on. Should cost you 200$ or so in parts and it should run fine after that for a while until you have more money.
Old 03-02-11, 06:39 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about what happened to you.
I didnt have time to read over the thread, but if you want to save the car you can swap in another 2jzge. They are cheap and reliable once you get a good one.

Your SC should be loads of fun with a stick. Good Luck dude!

Quick Reply: Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret