SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 06:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
1WILLY1, the problem with the 1j in California is that since that engine was never sold in the US it wasn't CARB certified and therefore can't pass California emissions. CARB is the California Air Resources Board and certifies that products meet Californias strict emissions standards. If you look at intake or exhaust parts you will see notes that state whether an item is CARB certified to be legal in California or not. Thats why SCs originally sold in California have two catalytic converters, CARB mandates stricter standards than the rest of the country.

To the OP, swap in a lower mileage ge motor, check the classifieds here for great deals. The board has a huge Cali contingent so there should be someone close to you.
you know what--now that I think of it yes-----I remember when i needed to buy an ecu for my sc there was ecu's from cali that had different part nuymbers but were the same part basiclaly--i asked the mechanic why and he said the same thing---cali has strict guidleines on emissions.

That sucks for any of you that are in cali---but on the other hand u got all those nicebeaches and nice weather----so in the end u still come out winners

Originally Posted by coolewong
Just got it back from the mechanic... he told me the engine is mixed of oil and water now... and he strongly recommended me to rebuild it as it's hard to look for a decent engine now...
don't know what else can I do now..
yes he wants you to go ahead with the rebuild for probabl;y a couple of reasons---for one he gets to make a good amount of money at a price of $7700.

For 2 he probably doesnt know where to source a quality used engine and is worried that it may become a complicated matter if the used engine needs work as well.

Your only choice here if you want to swap the engine is to find a mechanic that has done swaps b4---particularly in sc's----most mechanics dont regularly swap engines in and out of cars---especially foreign luxury cars.

the mechanic said since i've already got 230k miles, it's not a good idea to change head gasket only..
Hes got a point there-------I dont know what it would cost to replace a head gasket but im sure it isnt cheap at all---im thinking $1500? as a guestimate. To go spend that sort fo money on an engine with so many miles is not a wise thing to do-----either find a place that can rebuild the engine for a resonable price---or swap out like people are saying----------personally if you can find a buyer for this car--even if you lose a thousand bucks or so---just go ahead and take it-------take your loss and re group for your next move.

This mechanic may not have your best interest at heart

Maybe you should get your car out of there and find another shop---do some research and ask around the forum here for a reputable place---there has to be some around.
Old 03-02-11, 07:05 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on your mechanic being a moron. Changing the head gasket is just a stop gap measure until you find a suitable donor engine. If you can do most of the work yourself it an be done cheap and you will be able to drive the car until the engine swap.
Old 03-02-11, 07:10 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's my fault that I shouldn't have trusted the seller easily...
basically... ^This.
Old 03-02-11, 07:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
+1 on your mechanic being a moron. Changing the head gasket is just a stop gap measure until you find a suitable donor engine. If you can do most of the work yourself it an be done cheap and you will be able to drive the car until the engine swap.
what do u think a headgasket job wouyld typically go for?

Is my guess of $1500 acurate?

I dont mean to be rude but I highly doubt this person can do the job themself.
Old 03-02-11, 07:33 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think $1500 is high but it depends on where you get it done. The huge majority of the cost will be labor, the gaskets are fairly cheap.
Old 03-02-11, 08:37 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Gasket is like 120$, it just happens to be sandwiched between the block and the head. So essentially you have to completely disasemble the engine to change out a gasket 500-750$ is a good estimate.
Old 03-02-11, 08:40 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got straight hustled....Is this the first time you bought a car or anything with a motor?
Old 03-02-11, 08:44 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Is this the first time you bought a car or anything with a motor?
Lol, his first four stroke?
Old 03-02-11, 09:49 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

+1 infinity screw you mechanic.. That is a ridiculous charge.. Might as well take it to the dealer.. Ibtl
Old 03-02-11, 11:04 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry this happened but it sounds like just like what happened to me with my recent LS400 purchase. I got owned by the seller. It's a hit or miss with a old cheap cars.
Old 03-02-11, 11:16 PM
coolewong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
IF you can do it yourself.

If you do not want to rebuild engine, your best bet is either to.

1. Part out the car
2. Swap the motor
3. Meet some cool CL people who will help you swap the motor
haha that would be too great! but nah i don't wanna take advantage of others... especially when everyone's helping me out
Old 03-02-11, 11:24 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

haha that would be too great! but nah i don't wanna take advantage of others... especially when everyone's helping me out
Not taking advantage. Hell i'd be interested in learning to tear down a engine, you just provide the place drinks and food and you'll be done.
Old 03-03-11, 12:03 AM
coolewong
Driver

And the problem is I don't have a garage...haha. I live in an apartment, so doing it myself/ at my place isn't an option
with all these said, I think i'll go for an engine swap... thank you so much guys!
Oh few more questions: can I install an engine that came from an automatic to my stick-shift sc300? Will there be extra modifications? how about 2jzge with vvti?
Also, which engine, among the jz-family( 1jz/2jz/ge/gte/vvti/non-vvti etc), is the most reliable? Turbos are cool but I always have a feeling that they have a shorter lifespan and more maintenances are required...
Also, has anyone tried to do an engine swap and failed? How many engines did you install before installing it correctly? The mechanic told me that engine-swapping is very unreliable and one of his customers has been swapping the 3rd engine into his car as the two previous ones failed.
*Please pm me if you have a decent engine for sell, also please pm me if you have a place/shop in north cal to do the engine swap - quote me a price too!
Old 03-03-11, 12:09 AM
coolewong
Driver

After all these replies I'm feeling less sad and I appreciate everyone's help!! I will post my car here once I go on the engine swap

Oh p.s. please also give me some reliable stores/ websites that sell engines... are the ones on ebay reliable?! And how can I know how many miles does the engine have? by trusting the seller?
Thanks adl16v for http://www.attarco.com , anyone else heard of it?
Old 03-03-11, 02:16 AM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

If ur not in a hurry to swap in a 2jzge I'm pulling mine next month for the gte and can sell to u for 700 plus shipping. I know its quite a bit but its complete and outta my soarer with only 100000 kilometers (60000 miles) I know it'll pass emissions bc it passed my emissions in canada. So let me know with a pm dude.

Sry to here what happened to u btw dude

Quick Reply: Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret