SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 02:21 AM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and btw comes with ecu harrness and has vvti. So ull be set. Got the auto tranny as well for another 100 if u want it. But I doubt it. And yes it will bolt up to ur manual np.
Old 03-03-11, 02:51 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

z
Originally Posted by coolewong
the mechanic said since i've already got 230k miles, it's not a good idea to change head gasket only..
I agree with your mechanic.

My personal recommendation would be to find a local salvage yard with a SC300 2JZ-GE. The other option is a JDM importers. JDM import engines will almost always be in a lower mileage and better condition than domestic salvage yards but they also lack an EGR.
Originally Posted by FatBrian81
1WILLY1, the problem with the 1j in California is that since that engine was never sold in the US it wasn't CARB certified and therefore can't pass California emissions. CARB is the California Air Resources Board and certifies that products meet Californias strict emissions standards. If you look at intake or exhaust parts you will see notes that state whether an item is CARB certified to be legal in California or not. Thats why SCs originally sold in California have two catalytic converters, CARB mandates stricter standards than the rest of the country.

To the OP, swap in a lower mileage ge motor, check the classifieds here for great deals. The board has a huge Cali contingent so there should be someone close to you.
Officially this is correct but in practice only affects OBD-II cars and later. The issue with JDM engines and CA smog is the JDM computer can not interface with the smog machine. Only OBD-II vehicles are required to electronically communicate with the smog machine.

The JDM Supra GTEs I have also come with two catalytic converters.
Old 03-03-11, 12:11 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Down for a meet up of pullin the 2jz out, I may need to do the same soon!
Old 03-03-11, 05:13 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get your ideas flowing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-03-11, 05:40 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
this's sick! money would be a problem thou... and more importantly I'm scared of bad labor/ not reliable engine... can anyone answer me will 2jzgte be less reliable than 2jzge or 1jzge since it's an engine with turbo?
Old 03-03-11, 06:00 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tackling a gte swap doesnt seem like something you need to try. i say just swap in another ge esp since you said your still in school.

im in school and all i can do is save because i gotta get from a to b reliably.
Old 03-03-11, 06:38 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
im liking the mileage on this motor------but the price is no joke.
Old 03-03-11, 11:37 PM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

Dude I can get u my swap and gonna be reliable as it gets and only got 50000 miles. Its a pretty good deal if u ask me
Old 03-05-11, 08:51 AM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by vipsoarer2
Dude I can get u my swap and gonna be reliable as it gets and only got 50000 miles. Its a pretty good deal if u ask me
I always have a big question mark when it comes to miles... Is there any way a seller can prove the miles they claim? Or is it up to them?
Vipsoarer is your engine a 2jzge with vvti? or not with vvti?

Also, if I plan to get a 1jzge or 1jzgte or 2jzge with vvti, do I need to get a new transmission/ ecu?
Old 03-05-11, 09:28 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by coolewong
I always have a big question mark when it comes to miles... Is there any way a seller can prove the miles they claim? Or is it up to them?
Vipsoarer is your engine a 2jzge with vvti? or not with vvti?

Also, if I plan to get a 1jzge or 1jzgte or 2jzge with vvti, do I need to get a new transmission/ ecu?
there is no way for anyone to prove the mileage on a used engine like this.

But if you let a mechanic look at the engine he can tell you if the mileage sounds right or not------they have ways of checking--im sure they are not foul proof---but they can give u a good idea.
Old 03-05-11, 10:47 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should bring the ashore to tv court I hear they pay well. Win and go crazy with a swap
Old 03-05-11, 11:02 AM
singleslam
Driver School Candidate

Damn man, this is a hard lesson learned. Where are you at in CA bro, i'm in West L.A. and would definitely be down to help you with this car. I also work for a machine shop and have this motor rebuilt, guaranteed to pass smog, 1 year warranty, if the engine fails mechanically we take it back and fix it, you never have to touch it. Over 30 years at the same location, i've been there for goin on 3 years now.

I have 5 years experience in machining and every tool we would need to get this engine out. I'd definitely be able to help you out with this, and i'm sure we could work something out if you're a little tight on cash. I'm not greedy. Just hate to hear stories like these.

I'll pm you my cell number and you get a hold of me and we'll chat.
Old 03-05-11, 11:12 AM
singleslam
Driver School Candidate

Whoops sorry, just read that you're livin in an apartment. But no worries, we can always work on this car at my place. I got plenty of room!
Old 03-05-11, 12:14 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

don't even think about a rebuild in your situation. Yank your old engine out and swap a good low mileage engine in. It really isn't that big a deal to pull out a engine. I watch them do it all the time at the junk yards and they can pull a Lexus straight six out in one or two hours (2 guys with a hoist). Most junk yards will mark the mileage on the engine (at least here in Hou) and good ge's go for about $600 any day of the week. Check/call ALL your local junk yards and see what you can find locally so as to save on shipping cost and then you can always do a visual check on the engine before purchasing.Prior to install, ALWAYS replace front and back engine seals, cam seals, water pump, and timing belt, spark plugs and valve cover gaskets. Clean the throttle body as well. To NOT do this, is just being cheap/lazy/foolish and Stupid. It's a shame you can't do this yourself because it really is'nt as a big of deal as you may think. Don't get me wrong, it is still work, just unbolting stuff and re-bolting stuff back up. Whatever your choice..... Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-05-11, 05:23 PM
adam8103
Pole Position

Hey buddy, sorry for what happened. just for your information any kind of swap that is involving something else than a 2jzge non VVTI will require wiring modification. not to be mean but i think you are not at this point yet unless you want to learn and if you already have good knoledge with wiring. If you go with the 2jzge you can buy engine only with no wiring harness, keep your wiring harness and put it on like this you can use a 2jzge non vvti engine that came out of a stick shift or an automatic. you can find it also in lexus gs300. good luck.

Quick Reply: Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret