SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 01:21 PM
coolewong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8103
Hey buddy, sorry for what happened. just for your information any kind of swap that is involving something else than a 2jzge non VVTI will require wiring modification. not to be mean but i think you are not at this point yet unless you want to learn and if you already have good knoledge with wiring. If you go with the 2jzge you can buy engine only with no wiring harness, keep your wiring harness and put it on like this you can use a 2jzge non vvti engine that came out of a stick shift or an automatic. you can find it also in lexus gs300. good luck.
I'm not going to do the engine swap myself so I was thinking of an upgrade(which I planned to do in the future anyway)... would it cost me a lot more for the labor cost if I'll install 1jzgte or 2jzge-vvti?
Old 03-06-11, 01:41 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Sad but I just bought a ge motor for $180 so keep your head up
Old 03-06-11, 01:57 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Sad but I just bought a ge motor for $180 so keep your head up
what!?$180 for a motor?seriously? where?
Old 03-06-11, 09:08 PM
coolewong
Driver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...ht_9543wt_1025
i'm thinking of getting this, I just need an ecu and i'm good to go right?
Old 03-07-11, 11:28 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

mileaage on that engine seems right----but i think your going to need more than just an ECU.
Old 03-07-11, 11:43 AM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
mileaage on that engine seems right----but i think your going to need more than just an ECU.
what else? Do I need a new transmission? (I've got a 5speed manual transmission now)
btw I found some AUTOMATIC 1jzgte engines that comes with automatic transmission and automatic ecu... do I need another ecu if I want to continue to use my 5speed transmission now?
Old 03-07-11, 11:46 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure about the tranny and what ecu works or doesnt work but I can pretty much guarantee that your going to need to purchase a few more things for this engine---at the very least you need a serpentine belt.

Im sure there will be more. Not trying to put the engine down just trying to be realistic about it.
Old 03-07-11, 11:52 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

but the mileage and price on that engine seems good to me.

I would go for it .
Old 03-07-11, 01:11 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

I'd just spend more to get everything at once. Plus that ones rusty.
Old 03-07-11, 04:24 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

That engine looks like it's been sitting in someone's backyard for a few years.
Old 03-07-11, 10:40 PM
coolewong
Driver

Sorry guys I'm new to this... So I need a MT ecu, engine, and harness to be a complete set? can i use my old transmission?
http://www.attarco.com/index.php?mai...a32cf1744ace74 is this a complete set?
Old 03-08-11, 03:10 AM
MidloSC
Driver

Originally Posted by coolewong
Sorry guys I'm new to this... So I need a MT ecu, engine, and harness to be a complete set? can i use my old transmission?
http://www.attarco.com/index.php?mai...a32cf1744ace74 is this a complete set?
If you look close, that ECU is for an A/T.
Old 03-08-11, 06:36 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Your in California, you should have absolutely no problems finding an engine. As others have said though, make sure you have a plan for the California Smog test. I hear they are ****'s out there about it.
Old 03-08-11, 08:32 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Coolewong......since you said your new to "all this stuff" AND because of the situation you find yourself in with your current car purchase, AND with the fact that you live in Calif AND you don't want to get yourself WAY over your head on a swap (many inexperienced people do all the time! and it ain't purdy) money wise, then I would advise to practice the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid. You could really end up being way "upside down" money wise(and mental anguish) on this project if your not careful. To me it's a no brainer......find a DUPICATE "plug and play" good quality used engine locally from a SC or GS, find a good indy shop that works on Toyota products, get a WRITTEN REALISTIC estimate on the swap(add 20% for good measure). Shop around on indy shops (ask locals, forum guys in the area) and get her done. You can always use good bits off your old engine to help dress up the replacement engine, save the old stuff for back-up and/or sell it off to recoup some expenses. I say around 2 to 2 1/2 grand tops for the engine and the swap to "get-er-done". The other option is engine work on your existing engine.......it's your car, it's your call......best of luck and be smart.Your not the first person in the world that has faced this type of situation nor the last. Use your head before your wallet.
Old 03-08-11, 10:06 AM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Coolewong......since you said your new to "all this stuff" AND because of the situation you find yourself in with your current car purchase, AND with the fact that you live in Calif AND you don't want to get yourself WAY over your head on a swap (many inexperienced people do all the time! and it ain't purdy) money wise, then I would advise to practice the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid. You could really end up being way "upside down" money wise(and mental anguish) on this project if your not careful. To me it's a no brainer......find a DUPICATE "plug and play" good quality used engine locally from a SC or GS, find a good indy shop that works on Toyota products, get a WRITTEN REALISTIC estimate on the swap(add 20% for good measure). Shop around on indy shops (ask locals, forum guys in the area) and get her done. You can always use good bits off your old engine to help dress up the replacement engine, save the old stuff for back-up and/or sell it off to recoup some expenses. I say around 2 to 2 1/2 grand tops for the engine and the swap to "get-er-done". The other option is engine work on your existing engine.......it's your car, it's your call......best of luck and be smart.Your not the first person in the world that has faced this type of situation nor the last. Use your head before your wallet.
Sad but true... So is 2jzge vvti direct plug and play? or only 2jzge non-vvti is?
Thanks so much man

Quick Reply: Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret