SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 12:48 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about the vvti swap. I can tell you this. I currently own a 98 SC 6cy(4yrs) with the vvti and I use to own a 92 SC 6cy non vvti for 13 years. Both engines are wonderful with very little overall performance difference. It is honestly very hard for me to tell the difference performance wise. Perhaps you need to find someone on the forums that has actually upgraded to the vvti and find out what all was involved time, price, and expertise wise. Also just read up on the specs between the two engines and you will find that they are almost the same. Remember....KISS
Old 03-08-11, 12:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Coolewong......since you said your new to "all this stuff" AND because of the situation you find yourself in with your current car purchase, AND with the fact that you live in Calif AND you don't want to get yourself WAY over your head on a swap (many inexperienced people do all the time! and it ain't purdy) money wise, then I would advise to practice the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid. You could really end up being way "upside down" money wise(and mental anguish) on this project if your not careful. To me it's a no brainer......find a DUPICATE "plug and play" good quality used engine locally from a SC or GS, find a good indy shop that works on Toyota products, get a WRITTEN REALISTIC estimate on the swap(add 20% for good measure). Shop around on indy shops (ask locals, forum guys in the area) and get her done. You can always use good bits off your old engine to help dress up the replacement engine, save the old stuff for back-up and/or sell it off to recoup some expenses. I say around 2 to 2 1/2 grand tops for the engine and the swap to "get-er-done". The other option is engine work on your existing engine.......it's your car, it's your call......best of luck and be smart.Your not the first person in the world that has faced this type of situation nor the last. Use your head before your wallet.
Yes this is sound advice.

I actually get frustrated hearing so many people talk about swapping engines like they are swapping tires.

Ive never done it but im quite sure it is not as easy as said by some.

Get an exact engine to the one you already have seems to be the smartest thing to do.

Sound advice
Old 03-08-11, 01:35 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Yes this is sound advice.

I actually get frustrated hearing so many people talk about swapping engines like they are swapping tires.

Ive never done it but im quite sure it is not as easy as said by some.

Get an exact engine to the one you already have seems to be the smartest thing to do.

Sound advice
Its not for the feint of heart thats for certain.
Old 04-10-11, 11:34 PM
coolewong
Driver

Hi guys, got back my car this weekend... Swapped in a 2jzge with ~110,000 miles, fully maintained with oem parts(water pump, timing belt etc) and installed in a mechanic that I trust. $2700 total. Finally I can drive my sc!
Old 04-10-11, 11:38 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats good! Time to enjoy the life! Should of went with a GTE though while you were at it!
Old 04-11-11, 09:41 AM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Thats good! Time to enjoy the life! Should of went with a GTE though while you were at it!
money money money... give me money, in the big men's world
Just got some axis matrix 19x8 wheels last weekend, then purchased viper 5701 and Pioneer double din navigation last night... Does SC catch thieves' eyeballs easily?
Old 04-11-11, 01:26 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolewong
Just got some axis matrix 19x8 wheels last weekend, then purchased viper 5701 and Pioneer double din navigation last night... Does SC catch thieves' eyeballs easily?
LOL You cudda just not bought wheels the viper and the double din and you probably would of had enough for the GTE....they only cost about 1300
Old 04-11-11, 04:37 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

hmmmmmmm. smdh
Old 04-11-11, 04:46 PM
510sc
Pole Position

Slap a ls1 motor if you gonna buy a new one
Old 04-11-11, 06:13 PM
coolewong
Driver

haha anyway i'm happy with what I've got now will post pics after my project starts!
Old 04-13-11, 01:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi guys, got back my car this weekend... Swapped in a 2jzge with ~110,000 miles, fully maintained with oem parts(water pump, timing belt etc) and installed in a mechanic that I trust. $2700 total. Finally I can drive my sc!
Hmmmmmmm, dont mean to be negative again but I dont feel like you did very well on your engine purchase either.

110 000 miles is not too high but it definitely isnt too low either, could of almost bought another sc with that sort of cash.

haha anyway i'm happy with what I've got now will post pics after my project starts!
Well as long as your happy is all that matters--hope everything works out for you.

Good luck
Old 04-13-11, 01:24 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Maybe, since there a thread about double din and every one posting pics. Maybe it is an eye catcher. I dont think anyone will try to steal ur car since they not worth as much unless u got heavy mods or wheels.
Old 04-13-11, 08:49 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad everything worked out for you...I'm not going to beat you up, that's already be done again, and again...take your time, enjoy...bring your SC back from the dead, make it a reason to reckon with-you should think about NA-T. this will hold you for a while, until the "more boost" syndrom kicks in...lol

GL & thanks for sharing!