Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 12:13 PM
coolewong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret

Hello everyone..

I got a sc300 last week at the President's day, $3900 for a red 1993 sc300 stick-shift... The price wasn't cheap but I was told by the seller that it has a rebuilt engine last year with ~20000miles only. That's why I bought it.
After I've bought it, the more I drove it, the more problems I've found out. Bad idle, problem with the o2 sensor, overheating engine etc..

Hence I brought it to an auto repair shop and had a checking on it. The answer is that it has a blown head gasket... and the repair guy told me that I was being lied and the engine wasn't rebuilt... and it has 230,000 miles on it now. He quoted me ~$4k for an engine rebuilding as he said just replacing the blown head gasket can't help much.. I bought the car with my own savings and how can a poor student like me being able to pay that 4k

I know it's my fault that I shouldn't have trusted the seller easily... anyway do you guys know what can I do? Do you think I can sue the seller for providing fake information on the car!? Is there any laws protecting private selling like these?

Thanks for reading everyone...
Old 03-02-11, 12:23 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

The only law in private seller is "AS-IS" it is all you, you have to do all the checking and stuff before you buy. Unless you got it document saying it is rebuild and etc... Any evidence then you might have a chance. With 4k, might as well buy a 2jzgtte.
Old 03-02-11, 12:26 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Anything under $5k .. goes to small claims court.. You could sue but its an amount thats not worth the extra court fees. At the same time it is also your fault for not getting the car checked out first before buying it. This goes with any car not just an sc300. Im sorry you had a bad experiance with the car.

I would go back to the seller and demand him to take a look at the car "IF" HE picks up his calls or you know where he lives. Maybe he is reasonable to work with you, but if was looking to scam you I think your screwed. You didnt test drive the car? Shouldnt you have noticed a weird idle and stuff like that?

Again sorry for your bad experiance. I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-02-11, 12:28 PM
coolewong
Driver

even if the seller provided false information?
I also asked about swapping engine but the guy told me he said that would involve a lot of risks.. as I can't be sure about the quality of the engine
Old 03-02-11, 12:29 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is tax time and everyone will be swapping their ge out for gte you can pick up a nice ge for a good deal.
Don't let the mechanic tell you to rebuild it, just swap the motor and be done with it i know it's cheaper, at 230k miles even if he rebuild the head and replace the HG the block still has 230k miles the botton end will also need to be tighten up just like the top end.
Old 03-02-11, 12:32 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolewong
even if the seller provided false information?
I also asked about swapping engine but the guy told me he said that would involve a lot of risks.. as I can't be sure about the quality of the engine
Do Not rebuild the engine just buy a decent used engine drop it in and be done with it.
Old 03-02-11, 12:34 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Anything under $5k .. goes to small claims court.. You could sue but its an amount thats not worth the extra court fees. At the same time it is also your fault for not getting the car checked out first before buying it. This goes with any car not just an sc300. Im sorry you had a bad experiance with the car.

I would go back to the seller and demand him to take a look at the car "IF" HE picks up his calls or you know where he lives. Maybe he is reasonable to work with you, but if was looking to scam you I think your screwed. You didnt test drive the car? Shouldnt you have noticed a weird idle and stuff like that?

Again sorry for your bad experiance. I hope it works out for you.
The pink slip has the owner's address... but I didn't meet the owner, his friend was selling for him ( that's what he said)
when I and my friend test drove the car we didn't find out any problems... and the car could travel on freeway for an hour without the overheating problem when we were coming back home... then the problems occurred once I got it back here

yea I still like the sc300 a lot, I know this **** can happen on every cars.
How much would the court fee be?
Old 03-02-11, 12:35 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok to be all honest, sounds like you bought a used car...regardless if the seller was completely honest or not, a used car is going to have some issues, and from what your describing, is NOT $4k to repair. Yes small claims court is an option, but you need to be-able to prove that you were told the engine was rebuilt, and if you were given a bill of sale that states "sold as is", your up a creek.

You can find a decent mileage 2JZ-GE for about $500, spend another $150 for a hoist, swap it yourself. Or at worst, a 1JZ swap is always an option and is still less than $4k with having the JDM turbo's rebuilt or replaced.

Bottom line is dont get discouraged, and dont listen and hang on every word your "mechanic" says, cause frankly he will say anything to make a buck. You have several options at this point, and I can think of 5 that would cost 1/2 of what you were quoted.

Do some research, buy some tools and get your hands dirty.
Old 03-02-11, 12:36 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Do Not rebuild the engine just buy a decent used engine drop it in and be done with it.
Where can I find a reputable seller in nor cal? (not those on ebay I guess?) How much would it cost usually including labor?
I'm indeed quite touched by everyone's quick replies... thanks guys.
Old 03-02-11, 12:37 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sell your current motor to quickGS300, it's exactly what he wants

But it is up to you, the seller, to look at the vehicle first before buying. I understand that you are young, and this is a lesson you will learn over time. But if you are going to make a purchase of thousands of dollars, get it inspected first. You can also rebuild that engine for a lot cheaper than $4k if you get a friend or two and do the work yourself. Not to mention you will appreciate the hard work you've done yourself. Remember, it's a machine that's built with bolts, washers, and nuts. Since the motor is already crap, you can probably learn a lot in the process after fixing it. Best of luck my friend. I'm not sure what part of California you're from, but there are tons of SC owners on the West Coast that can probably help you out.
Old 03-02-11, 12:47 PM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Ok to be all honest, sounds like you bought a used car...regardless if the seller was completely honest or not, a used car is going to have some issues, and from what your describing, is NOT $4k to repair. Yes small claims court is an option, but you need to be-able to prove that you were told the engine was rebuilt, and if you were given a bill of sale that states "sold as is", your up a creek.

You can find a decent mileage 2JZ-GE for about $500, spend another $150 for a hoist, swap it yourself. Or at worst, a 1JZ swap is always an option and is still less than $4k with having the JDM turbo's rebuilt or replaced.

Bottom line is dont get discouraged, and dont listen and hang on every word your "mechanic" says, cause frankly he will say anything to make a buck. You have several options at this point, and I can think of 5 that would cost 1/2 of what you were quoted.

Do some research, buy some tools and get your hands dirty.
From his text message...?
After this bad experience I'm not gonna trust my mechanic that easily too. I guess I'll drive it back and let's see..
So swapping sounds much cheaper?
Old 03-02-11, 12:50 PM
coolewong
Driver

And the other problem is that... with its current status, I don't think my car can pass the smog check... hence I can't change it to my name:<
Old 03-02-11, 12:59 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buyer beware.. always have a car checked out by a mechanic before you buy. always better to waste $100-150 than to be stuck with a much larger bill later on.

personally, i think youre SOL on getting any money out of the seller.
Old 03-02-11, 01:03 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time, get it checked out before you buy.

A compression test would have shown you it's not a new engine or it had not been competently rebuilt.

Instead of 4K for a rebuild, you should look at a 1JZ swap: Cheaper and Faster than rebuilding a 2JZ-GE
Old 03-02-11, 01:10 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I really don't think the 1jz swap will be cheaper than the 2jzge , don't forget he has to deal CA smog.

Quick Reply: Just got a sc300 last week.... and now I regret