Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their own that is... by cutting and welding
Old 03-06-11, 11:09 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joe diego
Is this true? If so Im going to purchase one. I thought I read somewhere even the NA MK3 short shifter wouldn't work.
Yeah, i've heard the R154 short shifter will work on a older SC W58 as well but i honestly cannot confirm that, I know a friend of mine used a short shifter from a NA MK3 on his 92 5 speed sc300..

I had a TRD MK4 quick shift kit on my 95 SC300

Originally Posted by Cleet
Anybody on here making their short throw shifters?
Yeah a buddy of mine that welds just did one for my MK3 Supra..

lol look how tall the factory shifter is in this car, it's nuts..

cut off about 5 inches, and now it looks normal at least. welded it grinded it down and sanded it..

Old 03-06-11, 11:11 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4thHorsemn
Lol, I learned the hard way that you can't remove the shifter on a 95+ w58....... What were they thinking? I can't even change the damn bushings!!!
What do you mean you can't remove it? I changed the shifter on my 95.. you have to crawl underneath the car to remove a bolt or a pin (can't remember it's been awhile) you can't remove it without doing that though.

on the pre 95 SC's you can remove the shifter from just the top like on my supra.
Old 03-07-11, 09:28 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Anybody on here making their short throw shifters?
I would like to know this as well. How hard would it be? Just cut and weld right? It may cause vibration though.
Old 03-07-11, 10:03 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joe diego
I would like to know this as well. How hard would it be? Just cut and weld right? It may cause vibration though.
Mine is just cut and welded on the Supra, some people are not fans of it, but short shifters for the car are fairly pricey and i just couldn't deal with the stock height, i don't race my car or anything.

as far as vibration goes, you will probably get that with any short shifter, I had that expensive TRD short shifter on my SC and it vibrated so bad i thought bout going back to stock, i eventually got ghetto and wrapped the shifter in dynamat and it helped alot
Old 03-07-11, 07:18 PM
Cleet
Rookie

I'm cutting some out of the top of mine and adding it to the bottom to make my own. Can't see spending so much $ when you can make the same damn thing as they're selling. Running a weighted **** that should help with any extra vibration.
Old 03-10-11, 05:59 PM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

I finally found a shifter that fits my 93' SC 5spd tranny! Thanks everyone for all this important information and advise! Now my project should be on the road in no time
Old 03-10-11, 08:04 PM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

I'm cutting some out of the top of mine and adding it to the bottom to make my own. Can't see spending so much $ when you can make the same damn thing as they're selling. Running a weighted **** that should help with any extra vibration.
just to clarify, an actual short shifter shortens the throws between shifts, not necessarily the height of the shifter. It all depends where it pivots, and i think that they just move where it pivots.
http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

GO MATH AND READING! booyah.

Last edited by LeeSC300; 03-10-11 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I ACCIDENTALLY A WORD.
Old 03-11-11, 01:08 AM
Allaretake
Driver

Short shifter stubs are lame. Keep the stock stuff.
Old 03-11-11, 04:59 AM
Cleet
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeeSC300
just to clarify, an actual short shifter shortens the throws between shifts, not necessarily the height of the shifter. It all depends where it pivots, and i think that they just move where it pivots.
http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

GO MATH AND READING! booyah.
Maybe you should try that math and reading thing again... I said take from the top (above the pivot) and add to the bottom (below the pivot... changes the pivot. Look at a short throw shifter and its the same thing. Awww not so smart now are ya? Booyah lol. Try working on cars and actually making **** instead of looking at what you can buy and what others feed you and get back to me.
Old 03-11-11, 06:39 AM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

Maybe you should try that math and reading thing again... I said take from the top (above the pivot) and add to the bottom (below the pivot... changes the pivot. Look at a short throw shifter and its the same thing. Awww not so smart now are ya? Booyah lol. Try working on cars and actually making **** instead of looking at what you can buy and what others feed you and get back to me.
Touche! But no need to be hostile. I lose humbly, and didn't read enough.

The last part was mainly sarcasm. If you want to take the discussion further, just pm me i dont want to pollute this thread.
Old 03-11-11, 07:21 AM
Cleet
Rookie

Sorry on the hostility lol. I do know what I'm talking about here though.

Just to let others know you can make the same shifter that people are spending hundreds on for just a few cuts and a few welds.

The stick right above and right below the pivot is the same diameter. Cut out a section from the top, make a cut in the bottom, weld the piece you cut out of the top into the bottom and weld the top back together and viola short throw shifter.

Look at your shifter and look an a picture of an aftermarket shifter and you'll see that's all it is. Ours are just simple metal sticks, no base or anything like on a vette or f-body etc.