SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

That damn crank pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 03:29 PM
importzxtt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That damn crank pulley bolt

Hello there everyone, now i know this has been asked before but i still need some options and advice from people who have been through this. I have a 97 SC300 5spd, im trying to remove the crank pulley bolt to replace the pulley, ive tried spraying the bolt with wd-40 and pb blaster for the past 3-4 days but its obvious that doesnt work. I am doing it the correct way i have a chain wrench holding the pulley in place with a long cheater bar over it and a 22 socket on the bolt on a breaker bar with another long cheater bar over that too. My brother pulls the chain wrench from one side of the car and i pull on the breaker bar from the other side. Guys there MUST be an eaisier to do this the damn thing wont budge! I already broke a breaker bar yesterday so i warrantied it (craftsman) and now i just broke a 22 socket made of chrome vanadium and got a fat azz lump on my forehead. Ive also tried the lay the breaker bar on the ground or subframe and bump the starter.. we know that doesnt usually work for our engines when that pulley has been there since toyota put it on. Guys please help me out there must be something else i can do i dont know anyone with a powerful enough air gun and i dont want to use a torch.
Old 03-06-11, 03:34 PM
MidloSC
Driver

If there is lock tite on the threads, heat and an impact will be required.
Old 03-06-11, 03:42 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a professional mechanic and one that always likes to save time and not waste it pulling unnecessary parts off... I use a breaker bar, the frame rail and the starter. Ive done this with countless longitudinally mounted engines. i think I read in another thread someone blasting this idea... pfft.

If you want more info, ill post an more specific how to.
Old 03-06-11, 04:32 PM
importzxtt
Driver School Candidate

I think ill charge the battery and try to lay the breaker bar on the frame again. About how many times would i need to bump the starter to get that bolt loose?
Old 03-06-11, 04:39 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by importzxtt
I think ill charge the battery and try to lay the breaker bar on the frame again. About how many times would i need to bump the starter to get that bolt loose?
One time, it takes 0.2 seconds to break it loose. Very easy method.
Old 03-06-11, 04:39 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lookEVO
As a professional mechanic and one that always likes to save time and not waste it pulling unnecessary parts off... I use a breaker bar, the frame rail and the starter. Ive done this with countless longitudinally mounted engines. i think I read in another thread someone blasting this idea... pfft.

If you want more info, ill post an more specific how to.

Yes this is how I do it and it works everytime just be sure to wrap the bar in a couple of rags so you don't chip the paint if you care about that type of thing.
Old 03-06-11, 04:41 PM
Mr209sc300
Rookie

ok well if u dont mined haven't to get a new one i have something i know works first hand. i had to do the same on my 92 sc300 5speed the guy befor put lock tight and used an impact gun to put it on. i tryed a big fin impact gun didnt work tryed the starter trick didnt work tryed a braker bar and a 7 foot pole and about poled the moter out and all i did was brake the braker bar lol. i ended up buying a new bolt from the dealership for about $2 or $3 now this next part alot of ppl are skeptical about but it worked.
i used a small portable electric grinder and ground around the head of the bolt evenly. will the head of the bolt was able to slip threw the giant washer behind it this allowed alot of the pressure to be relised then i took a pare of pliers griped around it and used a small sledge hammer to tink it around this loosened it enuff to use ur hand to finish the job
Old 03-06-11, 04:46 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a sst tool that toyota uses to hold the pulley, then you must use a large pipe or breaker bar extenson. I had to use a 5ft gas pipe from home depot to slide onto my breaker bar to crack it. It is on at 250lb ft. Get the toyota sst tool to hold the crank then get a large pipe to slide onto your breaker bar, then hang on it and that should do it.

here is the tool:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...zhJIycgQe9sblB
Old 03-06-11, 05:00 PM
importzxtt
Driver School Candidate

I know of the special toyota tool to remove it but instead of that im using a chain wrench and im able to prop it against another pulley so that the crank doesnt move and then i use the breaker bar with a long pole but to be honest im scared of using this technique now because all thats happening is i end up breaking tools and hurting myself lol. The battery is charging now im going to try to use the starter trick again but this time also place a pole over the breaker bar so it wont slip out and damage anything.
Old 03-06-11, 05:12 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I know of the special toyota tool to remove it but instead of that im using a chain wrench and im able to prop it against another pulley so that the crank doesnt move and then i use the breaker bar with a long pole but to be honest im scared of using this technique now because all thats happening is i end up breaking tools and hurting myself lol. The battery is charging now im going to try to use the starter trick again but this time also place a pole over the breaker bar so it wont slip out and damage anything.

This is what worked for me when i changed the timing belt on my supra. I tried everything. I used a snapon breaker bar with a 5 ft iron poll. The problem is you will damage the other pulleys when you have stuff resting or bridged against them. Get the tool or borrow it, put it on, a breaker bar will hold it in place, then remove the hood. Put on the 5ft pipe onto the breaker bar and slide it all the way down. Get a buddy to give you a hand and hang on the pole, it will break loose. The problem most people have is not being able to hold the crank pulley steady, those strap chains work but not as well as the sst tool.
Old 03-06-11, 06:47 PM
importzxtt
Driver School Candidate

Maybe i should invest in the sst tool but i just dont see how that would work if the chain wrench is doing the same job. I just tried the starter trick again, the battery wasnt even fully charged i lay the breaker bar on the ground and put a bar over it and lay a piece of wood underneath that i bumped the starter about three times, on the third try the socket broke. Oh yea and the whole front of the car wanted to jump up lol thats some serious stuff.
Old 03-06-11, 06:58 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ya it can be a pain, spraying the bolt wont do anything because only the bolt head is exposed. If you have a decent air compressor available you should invest in a very high torque impact gun. If you dont have one maybe a friend has one you can borrow, thats what I did. If there is a lot of lok tight on it use heat as well as the impact gun. I never liked the starter method just because in my mind it puts stress on parts that operate your vehicle daily. Just my 0.2
Old 03-06-11, 07:07 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe i should invest in the sst tool but i just dont see how that would work if the chain wrench is doing the same job. I just tried the starter trick again, the battery wasnt even fully charged i lay the breaker bar on the ground and put a bar over it and lay a piece of wood underneath that i bumped the starter about three times, on the third try the socket broke. Oh yea and the whole front of the car wanted to jump up lol thats some serious stuff.
I lay the breaker bar on the frame rail under the battery. using a decent bar and a decent socket it works EVERY time for me. Ive done THOUSANDS of timing belts in this manner and never had a problem. I could never understand how everyone else does.
Old 03-06-11, 07:08 PM
importzxtt
Driver School Candidate

Yea i think the only option i have left is the compressor and impact gun. I have a friend that has one but im sure the gun isnt powerful enough and besides he lives too far away to get the car there ... maybe my buddy a few blocks away might have it if not i might just have to rent a very high torque impact gun. If im breaking sockets and breaker bars trying to get it out i dont see how my dad would be able to take it out the same way i know im doing it correctly so maybe my only option is the gun and maybe even some heat as well. I really want to do it all myself so i can learn and also show my dad im not incompetent lol.
Old 03-06-11, 09:49 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

if the starter method didnt work a high torque impact with heat will get r done, i had the same problem twice once on my dsm and on the 400, did the starter method on both cars no luck, brought out the impact and the broke lose like melting butter

Quick Reply: That damn crank pulley bolt