SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Calling all White Diamond colored SC's

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 05:32 PM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all White Diamond colored SC's

I recently had a guy run into my back bumper. His insurance covered the damage only the body shop can't seem to match the color. Now I have a bumper that look too too white compared to the rest of the car. What experiences have you guys had with your color on the SC and body shops?
Old 03-07-11, 05:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White is always a diffcult colour to match, especially on an aged metal body when comparing it to a freshly painted plastic bumper. A good shop will be able to match it within 90%, but thats a GOOD shop which is usually more expensive.
Its even more difficult since pearl white is a 3 stage paint instead of the usual 2. That also drives the cost up and makes matching difficult.

Im in the EXACT same situation as you are right now, someone bumped me at a red light and insurance is paying to have my rear bumper repainted. I finally settled on a shop today after 2 weeks of looking for one that would be able to match it the best. A lot of other shops didnt even want to touch it cuz they werent comfortable in their abilities to match it.
I'm gonna use this to my advantage though, and have the front bumper and side-skirts repainted at the same time for an extra bit outta my pocket.
Old 03-07-11, 06:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

+1 on the color match difficulty.. i upgraded front bumpers and if you look at it carefully, the color is not 100% identical
Old 03-07-11, 06:25 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I recently had my front bumper painted and the painter is very picky. He painted it 3 times and couldnt get it to match he then had his paint rep come by and they have a little camera/machine that you put on the paint and it reads it. It then tells them exactly what to match. My passenger side fender had been previously painted and the drivers side had not. So they had to blend side to side not front to rear. It can be done!
Old 03-07-11, 06:30 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

Old 03-07-11, 06:52 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My paint doesnt match either, the white yellows a bit with age and it is hard to blend with fresh DWP. I kinda just ignore the difference and figure Ill respray the whole car down the road when I change out the kit.
Old 03-07-11, 11:16 PM
Gimpster
Driver

First thing to do is rotary polish the original paint, and go from there. Assuming the base coat is right, how the mid and clear coat are applied can have a LOT to do with match. IE: the distance in which you spray.
Old 03-08-11, 05:47 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

My paint does not match either, only thing u can really do to make it all look the same is paint the whole car all over again, or like skits and have that one part painted multiple times
Old 03-08-11, 07:37 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

They did sand all the way down to the bumper and start completely over before it finally matched.
Old 03-08-11, 07:42 AM
sc4fanatic
Driver School Candidate

Default Will never truely match....

The trick is to find an expert blinder who has the eye when to cutoff and mask...GL I ended up doing a complete repaint.
Old 03-08-11, 08:18 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried a match couldn't stand that it didn't match, so did a respray and this is the outcome:

It's not spot on but it works for me. What do you think?
Old 03-08-11, 08:22 AM
MrSatoV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skirts
I recently had my front bumper painted and the painter is very picky. He painted it 3 times and couldnt get it to match he then had his paint rep come by and they have a little camera/machine that you put on the paint and it reads it. It then tells them exactly what to match. My passenger side fender had been previously painted and the drivers side had not. So they had to blend side to side not front to rear. It can be done!
That's what the dealer did for mine before I bought it. You HAVE to go to a shop that has the paint digitizer/scanner. You can't just look up the paint code and expect it to match. You can't tell my front bumper was painted until you look really closely - and then you'll only see where they didn't sand out some small scratches before painting (which is sad).
Old 03-08-11, 08:22 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

This is the best my painter could do with my front bumper

Old 03-08-11, 08:23 AM
MrSatoV
Driver School Candidate

Very nice socal72! I really need to replace my stock chrome wheels too!
Old 03-08-11, 08:30 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSatoV
Very nice socal72! I really need to replace my stock chrome wheels too!
Thanks man appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Calling all White Diamond colored SC's