SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZ-GE VVT-i Throttle Body/Cable problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 06:32 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2JZ-GE VVT-i Throttle Body/Cable problems HELP

Alright, well i just got done changing the spark plugs, and by doing so, i had removed the throttle body and throttle cable off the throttle body. Well, all those little springs and what not confused the crap out of me, and when it came time to putting it back together, i kinda sorta put it on.

The spring became really tight, the throttle action was hard to turn and at times, would not go back. This proved to be scary as crap when i decided to take it on a test drive before giving it a full look over. The throttle cable got stuck at WOT. Luckily i got the car stopped...

But, enough of that, down to finding a solution. Yeah, how do i put the cable and stuff back on?

Here's the picture of the spring mechanism that the cable is attached to:

Now here's the springs that got me really confused and i'm sure i messed up. Yeah, there's two springs, and it's confusing me.....blah. This is the part that returns the throttle back to normal:

Uhm, the part that the cable's attached to:

Here's the push thingy.....that pushes the thing that the cable is attached to.

And the throttle body, the side that connects to that thing that the cable is attached to. The parts circled are where i'm assuming one of the springs go....

HELP.

Carlo

Last edited by pieisgude; 03-11-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 06:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

all i can say is good luck lol

that is exactly why i try not to take anything apart-------i can rarely get things to go back the samw way lol
Old 03-11-11, 07:05 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, anyone with a 2jz-ge vvt-i, can you please take a picture of your spring setup thingy....? And now i'm having idling problems. I'm idling at 2k RPM....ugh. But then it bounces down eventually. I'm still tinkering with the springs, but i still can't seem to get the right combo with the big outer, and small inner spring.
Old 03-11-11, 08:33 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm . .. Are these different than the non VVTi throttle cable connections? Was it even necessary to take that spring mechanism apart

I always thought you just removed the cable by disconnecting it's little tab on the end from the pulley.

Also, in your first pic, it looks like your cable harness isn't even seated in the correct position.
Old 03-11-11, 08:42 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Nevermind, after numerous attempts, i got it back.
I actually think i put it on there on a way where it's stronger. Because the throttle response feels tighter, and more linear. Also, i'm guessing i accidentally hit my TPS sensor, but since my shifts are now firmer and quicker, i don't mind.

Yeah, i'm dumb, and didn't think through it, and read the DIY wrong. So for rememberance sake, DO NOT TAKE OFF THE SPRING MECHANISM.

And for all of those who just bought an SC, check your spark plugs, or at least replace them. Mine had two different kinds.....

All in all, a good way to spend 6 hours.
Old 03-12-11, 10:10 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Nevermind, after numerous attempts, i got it back.
I actually think i put it on there on a way where it's stronger. Because the throttle response feels tighter, and more linear. Also, i'm guessing i accidentally hit my TPS sensor, but since my shifts are now firmer and quicker, i don't mind.

Yeah, i'm dumb, and didn't think through it, and read the DIY wrong. So for rememberance sake, DO NOT TAKE OFF THE SPRING MECHANISM.

And for all of those who just bought an SC, check your spark plugs, or at least replace them. Mine had two different kinds.....

All in all, a good way to spend 6 hours.
There are adjustment nuts on the cable harness (where it mounts in the saddle bracket) that will give or take up the slack in the cable. There is a procedure for this, you don't want zero slack(tension) in the cable at rest.