SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NGK Coppers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 05:24 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NGK Coppers

Yes, I did search the web. Yes I did search CL and other Supra forums. However, I can't find my specific answer.

I'm going to change my plugs, however, I've always ran copper plugs in all my other cars, including my rb25.

However, not sure if 2j's like coppers. I've always dealt with Nissan. Stock plugs are the laser platinum with a 5 for a heat range BKR5EP11. I'm thinking of getting NGK BCPR5ES-11. It's the same heat range, same gap, just haven't seen anyone run these. Reason I'm asking is because, are people not running this plug for a reason? Or do people just like to spend 60 bucks for spark plugs.

I have always ran copper. Everyone I've seen in the Nissan community swears by coppers, but when I get in the Toyota scene, coppers aren't even talked about.

I don't like iridiums and I've never used laser platinums, and I don't want to.

Normally I wouldn't ask and just do it and see what happens, but seeing that the intake design is retarded, I was hoping I can save myself about an hour and a couple of bucks by asking. Thanks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Joel
Old 03-14-11, 06:14 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use copper in my 1.5. But I use platinum on all of my Nissans except the S series.
Old 03-14-11, 06:32 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw0209

... but seeing that the intake design is retarded, I was hoping I can save myself about an hour and a couple of bucks ...
Well Joel, I think you just nailed it. That alone is reason enough to want to go with a longer life plug. I don't know what you have against Platinum or Iridium, but either of those types can be had for way under $60, and they will certainly last longer than your coppers. If you're dead set on it, there is no reason you can't run copper plugs though.
Old 03-14-11, 06:48 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Well Joel, I think you just nailed it. That alone is reason enough to want to go with a longer life plug. I don't know what you have against Platinum or Iridium, but either of those types can be had for way under $60, and they will certainly last longer than your coppers. If you're dead set on it, there is no reason you can't run copper plugs though.
Here's the deal. With my past experiences, (rb25), that damn engine was so tempermental if you didn't get what it liked. Iridiums would create all kinds of boost issues, WOT, sputtering, blah blah blah. As soon as I ran copper it ran like a dream.

I don't mind at all changing the plugs. What I do mind is wasting my time. Let's say the 2j didn't like coppers. Well I just wasted a good 45 min to take them back out and replace them with something else.

Yes coppers don't last "long" compared to others. But then again, they do last a while. I don't mind changing them one bit. It's all about time.

I'm just going to go ahead and make a trip down to checkers and pick them up.

Thanks, you guys for the response!
Old 03-14-11, 09:38 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You searched? Really? What did you type? Bacause I got
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...periences.html
This thread. Its pretty good. Did you look in the performance section? Because that where all the spark plug info is.
Old 03-14-11, 10:09 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lfrers
You searched? Really? What did you type? Bacause I got
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...periences.html
This thread. Its pretty good. Did you look in the performance section? Because that where all the spark plug info is.
Yup. I ran across that thread. It's helpful to say the least, however, I still asked because no one was running the specific plug I wanted to use. So I thought I would ask just to see if anyone was running it.

Currently in the middle of changing the plugs. I decided while I was at it to compression test my car, see if my rings are ok. The tester I was using broke, so now I'm contemplating whether I should wait until tomorrow, or go 30 minutes from where I live to borrow my friends tester.

Once the test is done, the new plugs will go back in, new pcv valve will go in, and everything will be put back.
Old 03-14-11, 10:20 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you boosted? Diffrent plug gap & all that if you are.
Old 03-14-11, 10:31 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lfrers
Are you boosted? Diffrent plug gap & all that if you are.
Nope. Just stock 2j na. According to the fsm, plug gap should be 1.1 and heat range should be 5. I got NGK BCPR5ES-11. That plug meets the requirements, besides that it's not a Laser platinum, just a copper.
Old 03-15-11, 12:02 AM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Just finished up the new plugs. I love them, as usual from my past experience. Top end is WAY more responsive. God only knows how long those iridium plugs have been in there.

Also realized how many hoses I want to change. 15+ year hoses crack very easy. Going to order a driftmotion power steering hose right now as well.
Old 03-15-11, 02:18 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Get oem ones. DENSO platinum or Iridium. gonna cost you like 48$$$
Old 03-15-11, 05:39 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run coppers with no issues at all and will continue to do so as I refuse to pay that much for a set of plugs but then again I do all my own wrenching

Driftmotion power steering hose? Which hose does this replace?
Old 03-15-11, 07:32 AM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
Get oem ones. DENSO platinum or Iridium. gonna cost you like 48$$$
Sorry but I personally think paying that much for plugs is retarded. Even if coppers don't last that long, STILL at the second replacement, they will be cheaper than buying iridiums.

I spend 14 bucks on the copper plugs

Driftmotion power steering hose? Which hose does this replace?
It's the high pressured power steering hose. Since I drift and my steering takes a lot of abuse, my hose started to leak due to too much pressure. The driftmotion one is this one

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...k3mk4sc300.php
Old 03-15-11, 08:38 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool thanks for the link, I will be ordering that hose as mine is starting to leak