SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying a 92 Soarer with 1JZGTE 66K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 10:41 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
If most Japs service their cars at dealerships and run good fuel, why are the majority of imported motorsets full of sludge and caked in oil?
from what 'ive' heard, they have to swap out the engines or sell the vehicles at such low kilometres due to emission regulations in japan being so strict, that they neglect doing regular oil changes.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 03-17-11 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 10:49 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
^^All good information from Relapser, pretty much covered it all. Considering the door panel will need replacement $1500 may be a bit much. One more thing, inquire if the 100,000km service has been done.
$1500 is a bit much for a twin turbo 1jz gte soarer with only 66 000 miles?

Am I in the twighlight zone?

What am i missing here?
Old 03-17-11, 11:00 AM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

***** - I was saying ignore you guys cos you were saying "jump in it's a bargain buy it buy it"

And I want to know the yen asking price cos Japanese trade in yen.. Not usd... If I know the yen price I can make a better guess if it's worth it or not... Please note I'm Australian so for me to work it out I'd need to convert usd to aud to yen... Too confusing!!

And reason I say it's not a steal... Is cos yeah say 1500 for car...
But then 300 for a door. More money for passenger seat belt... Plus the engine sounds like it needs work....

You'll end up spending 2grand US at least ... Why not just buy a good condition vvti?? And not have to worry about spares?
Old 03-17-11, 11:19 AM
Relapser
Pole Position

***** it's not that it's a bit much I'm just saying the car doesn't sound like it's worth owning at any price... Its better to Just spend the bit extra up front and get a vvti that will make the OP happy

Stockhatch- there are many reasons for this...
Cars get sold at about 100 thousand km in japan literally because they trust their car dealers over there. God only knows why... But yeah. Many Japanese cars have a sticker fitted inside which says "car will fall apart at 100,000km make sure you trade in"

There's soooo much pressure to turf a car at 100,000km.. Dealers will tell customers that government and yakuza will fine them for driving after 100,000km

Owners get scared and trade in the car. Dealer gets car for nothing because it's done over 100,000km.. And sells them a new car in the process... Then puts old car thru auction and sells to his mate.

Dealer makes money three ways!!! Flawless victory!

Reality is there's nothing wrong with having over 100km on clock.. After all there are members on here pushing 300,000 MILES!!!

Anyway.. Onto your engine question...
To put it bluntly.. Someones blowing smoke up your butt... Engines don't cost that much. And cars don't either... But as I said before... Soarers are a weird one... They either:
Sell for next to nothing...
Or sell for about 27 grand USD

As for engines and why are they covered in sludge... It's because the shops you have over there want to maximize profit.. Naturally they get the cheapest engines money can buy... Then sell them for as much they can... It's just business...

What matters however is where the engine comes from... For instance... You can have a vvti 1jzgte... Cool engine right???
But what car was it in... Was it from a soarer that was driven by an enthusiast who always ensured it had regular HKS oil changes and had the like takahiro ueno working on it suivax???

.... or is the vvti 1j coming from a Toyota crown station wagon that was owned by a Japanese working class salaryman who used the car to commute from tokyo hose to his building in roppongi in stop start traffic and never gave it a service... Cos didn't want to take time away from work...

I mean yeah... Sitting on the floor in the American workshop.. They are both vvti 1j... But guess which one I'd rather have!!

And obviously vvti 1j from crown, mark2, cresta, verossa, etc are always cheaper than one from say... A soarer..

Same goes for a 2jz from a supra... Versus a 2jz from an aristo...
Yeah both are 2j engines... Ones been a cherished and well looked after enthusiast car... And the other is in a businessmans sedan and is used to drive around his businessman friends
Old 03-17-11, 01:02 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I retract my previous recommendation to buy it if you can get a mint one for 2k USD. Heck, at that price, buy 3 mint ones in case one of them breaks or runs out of gas.
Old 03-17-11, 01:33 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Relapser
***** - I was saying ignore you guys cos you were saying "jump in it's a bargain buy it buy it"

And I want to know the yen asking price cos Japanese trade in yen.. Not usd... If I know the yen price I can make a better guess if it's worth it or not... Please note I'm Australian so for me to work it out I'd need to convert usd to aud to yen... Too confusing!!

And reason I say it's not a steal... Is cos yeah say 1500 for car...
But then 300 for a door. More money for passenger seat belt... Plus the engine sounds like it needs work....

You'll end up spending 2grand US at least ... Why not just buy a good condition vvti?? And not have to worry about spares?
well i dont know about japanese prices but in america a car with 66 thousand miles and a 1jz gte can easily fetch 6 grand give or take a bit depending on the condition---so yes everyone is going to say buy it because its a steal.

If your telling me that in japan you can buy a mint condition low mileage vvt for about 2 grand than that does change things------but man why r these cars so cheap to buy over there????And how much is it to ship them here???
Old 03-17-11, 01:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I would like relapser to show us a post to back up his statement of vvt soarers or any low mileage mint soarers for 2 grand.

I dont buy it-----this car for $1500 still seems like a deal to me.

People are paying more than 2 grand for the engine alone------i would like to see some proof to back these statements up.
Old 03-17-11, 02:42 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

*****, The Japanese market is very different than the US market for several reasons. Many of which Replaser mentioned. From social conditions, to market purchase decisions, to economic reasons, Japanese buying habits in both the new and used market are different than what we are used to. When you consider all factors, it simply does not make much sense to drive a Soarer today in Japan, just like driving an SC400 here isn't the most practical choice. Which brings us to the verdict of you have to like the car to still drive one today in 2011.

This brings us to the enthusiast cars, which usually have 50-90,000kms, were regularly used, are typically TT or VVT-i cars with the obligatory JDM exhaust and wheels. This is where a good deal can be found on a well-maintained car, and you might get yourself a few goodies (mods) as a bonus. 5-speed cars command a slight premium.

Next, we have the older examples (1991-1993) with higher mileage, which is anything approaching or at 100,000kms as Relapser mentioned. These are most always automatic TT's, some needing repairs and some paint, possibly with some accident history. Add to that your typical SC/Soarer interior cracks and burnt out bulbs and it brings the cost of these examples surprisingly low - the equivalent of $1500-$3000 for these cars is not uncommon.

The reason this seems so low to some on you who are comparing these prices to our market is the cost of importing. Cars have to be properly de-registered and there are export fees ans taxes. Importers of cars and motors usually have to store their container until it is full and they have a ship date arranged, thus inducing a cost passed on to the customer. Furthermore the cost of shipping over the ocean itself, along with applicable taxes on importation and you're looking at ~$2000 at least to get it over here, on the roads, and registered. Then, the importer still needs to make their margin which is usually $1000, but can be up to whatever the market here will pay.

This is why you see some Soarers going for so cheap in Japan and also why you'll see those same cars on an importer lot with an asking price of $7000.
Old 03-17-11, 02:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^yes I have seen some soarers from dealers going for higher prices like u mentioned.

Thanks for explaining that but I still find it hard to believe that they go for sooooo cheap--although im not saying anyone is wrong or lying--i just would like to see some legitimate adds or posts backing this up.

I mean even if it costs $2000.00 to ship one of these cars over you can still have enough room left to turn a profit or just have your car for a good price.

One thing i dont understand is why you think the sc400 isnt a practical choice to drive these days, im assuming the gas mileage?

Its still a great luxury car that alot of people I know would love to have.

Do you find the gas mileage on your sc to be a bit of a burden? Lately Ive felt like that but I still love the car.

thanks

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 03-17-11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 10:12 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

***** the profit margin for selling old cars like the soarer is redundant in 2011 as far as importing is concerned...
You buy the car... Add about a further 6 thousand aud on top for fees and costs involved.

in addition to this... older cars need to pas shaken (SHA-Kenn) (aka vehicle inspection) once a year or even once every six months so for a lot of "non enthusiasts" it becomes more of a pain than a pleasure to own them...

then again - an enthusiasts car is kept clean and tidy and has nothing to fear about it's inspection...

you asked me for examples - i can't really provide "examples" because it's not like i can just "go out" n take pictures of cars from an auction house or anything like that... i can post ads from dealers ALL DAY but dealers hike up the prices to make money..

closest i can offer are links from yahoo japan - their equivalent of ebay.. because that is private sales and void of auction house fees etc..

okay just having a look now hahahaha you wouldn't believe it but not ONE soarer has even ONE bid on it..

but these three links should help put thigns into perspective for you

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r75767904
^^^
111,000km.. 1991 single turbo converted 1J.. not the nicest of examples out there.. but still... this car has an asking price of about 150,000Y

now mind you.. YEAH there are tacky paint engine bits.. it's not a car i would rush out and buy.. but there are a fair few mods on it!

that car works out to be $1,905 US Dollars

then there's the OTHER end of the scale.
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k139368929
^^^

1998 series three 202 black
just over 100,000km
but this is where things get interesting.
bride comfort max driver and passenger seat
bride custom rear seats

okay. ready for more?
1.5JZ (2J supra bottom end with VVTI 1J head)

engine has been stroked to 3.1 litre.
HKS gt 3037 turbine
6 speed gearbox
front mount intercooler
550cc injectors
apexi power FC
HKS EVC 6
tomei 2 way diff

list goes on...
full vertex ridge body kit

the owner of this is asking 2.5 MILLION yen... which is $31,750 US Dollar(s)

and you watch... one day someone WILL pay that money for it..

the jap market is NOT necessarilly cheap... but it is relevant to the product..
it's not un common for a GZ10 (1984) toyota soarer to fetch about a million yen if it's in good nick..

which is about $13,000USD

i still reckon get a shakotan GX71..

like if you're IN japan... why buy a car that you would normally be abel to get in the USA?!?!

get something UNIQUE!!! something that none of your friends would EVER DREAM of!!!

what about jzs171 crown??

Last edited by Relapser; 03-17-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 11:08 AM
cards43am
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely agree with you relapser but i think in the end it comes out to be whatever jdmcelsior wants to do, like not bashing any opinions or anything but if your looking to mod the car and make it a little fun project? then maybe that 1jz with 66m is right for you! but if your looking for a nice good running already modded car, than i'd go with what relapser said. but it comes down to what your really looking for.
Old 03-18-11, 12:09 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

Excellent point! Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 03-19-11, 05:47 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

i dont think you'll be wanting to get any cars from japan really cheap. they will ever be radioactive or flood damage. same with imported engines.

just sayin. they been having some bad joojoo over there with tsunami's and quakes.
Old 03-19-11, 05:58 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomLight
i dont think you'll be wanting to get any cars from japan really cheap. they will ever be radioactive or flood damage. same with imported engines.

just sayin. they been having some bad joojoo over there with tsunami's and quakes.
Those engines will just be shipped here.
Old 03-19-11, 09:46 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Well, I retract my previous recommendation to buy it if you can get a mint one for 2k USD. Heck, at that price, buy 3 mint ones in case one of them breaks or runs out of gas.
^Hahaha, hilarious! (And kinda true...)^

But I agree with the later posts - it does sound like a decent deal, but also a headache. If quality Soarers are so cheap over there, then I would definitely hold out for a nicer one and spend another $500-1000, which you would easily have put into this car anyway, and not have to deal with all the headaches and issues.

Quick Reply: Buying a 92 Soarer with 1JZGTE 66K miles