SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Your Modifications and Satisifaction Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 02:13 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your Modifications and Satisifaction Level

Hey guys, we need a post for the SC much like they have for the GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=52182

I would really like to hear some feedbacks on your modifications as I'm about to go down the road myself and would like to get much feedback. Hopefully this thread will really help!

I'll start with practically nothing:

TINT - 20% all around. Lifetime guarenteed. a definite 5. It'll pay for itself on gas you saved on AC alone. It's not only much cooler inside, it blocks out the hot summer sun and helps your interior from aging too fast and from UV rays of the sun. Finally, it looks much cooler and give u more privacy on the road.

TRD shift ****- not very good. a Rating of 1
The **** part is too small and showed alot of the stick that wasn't covered. i quickly went back to the stock shifter.

Passport 8500 - 4.5/5 Radar detector is a MUST have. If it even save you just once, it'd have paid for itself. The advantage over V1 is that it's programmable (get rid of X for example), looks better (sleeker) and cheaper. But it's not a 5 because V1 has directional arrows.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 08-27-02 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 02:44 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

good idea...how come nobody is posting?

Apexi Power Intake - Had to get an adapter custom fabricated. I don't have a heat shield, and I honestly can't notice much of a difference. There isn't a big sound difference either. 3/5

18x8 and 18x9 wheels - I like 4/5

Pioneer 10" free air sub and Pioneer 150W amp - I should have left the sub in stock form. The difference wasn't worth the effort. Maybe a box would be better, but our trunks are so damn small! 1/5

K2 6000k HID's - Improved lighting, but too purple for my taste. I didn't think they were really worth it, so I sold them. I think getting BMW/Audi/etc. HID projectors retrofitted would be the best option...like some of our members have done 2/5

Tint - I wouldn't go without it 5/5

I forgot about these...

Drilled/slotted rotors - More for looks, I think. Looks cool, but a bigger brake system would be much nicer 3/5

Soarer emblem and griffin - Requires shaving the front emblem. I paid too much too...should have bought from ACleanSC4! 3/5

Oh, we're adding a scoring system? Ok, I went back and scored them based on how much I liked the mod and price...

new since the last post:
Espelir Springs - about a 1.5" drop. I think the drop looks great. Ride is noticably stiffer. 4/5

Last edited by howiedoit; 10-04-03 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 09:35 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Might as well add my 2 cents worth... UPDATED!

93 Soarer 2.5GT

- R-Spec turbo timer. Definitely a time saver for my car, it suits the style of the car (not overdone) and has a silver casing with EL blue display... but now doesn't work so I have to fit a relay so it will work with my alarm. Rating: -3/5

- Lexus badging. Hey, I got them for free ... How do you rate emblerms?! Rating: 3/5

- Custom exhaust. 3" piping from cat. back, hi-flow cat, twin resonators and twin mufflers with 4" tips. Looks great, and not too noisy, pants-off-the-seats feel is much better than stock, but I still have to get my front pipe and twin dump pipe made up for the 1JZ, only downside there's no brand name but it's just as good. Rating: 4/5

- Bigger wheels. My third set of rims lol ADR Sterlings for now, 18x8.5", they look nice I'm not too fussy on wheels (unless someone wants to give me $4000 to spend on rims). Rating: 4/5

- A'PEXi EL mechanical boost meter. Awesome looking meter, looks nice in blue and mounted on the glass so no drilling holes into the A-pillar. I just wish It was electronic (or a Defi!). Rating: 4/5

- Pioneer Sounds. DEH-P9350 CD tuner - It's pretty nice, I like it a lot, all it needs is MP3 capability and that's all, Speakers - Have no problems with them, Amp - Got no problems, TS-W25F 10" sub - It's blown... Rating: 4/5 except for sub (2/5)

Last edited by BLK13X; 04-14-04 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 10:17 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Supra wheels were a huge improvement over my stock wheels. Totally changed the look of the car from "kid driving mother's car to the get groceries" to "this ride is mine biatch! that's right...mine!". Plus I got a good deal so I'm 100% satisfied.

Dayton Daytona ZR tires came with the wheels, but I think they are too loud when I brake to a stop. The tires are softer and absorb impact much better than the stock Potenzas, and the traction and grip are awesome. The one peeve is that they are a little bit louder. I'll give them a 3 out of 5 just because they are a marked improvement.

HID retrofit was a huge improvement in night time driving. The entire road is lit up, evenly bright, and much wider than stock. Love the color transition on warm up/ignition, love the color flicker and love watching the colors flicker in the reflection of store windows and other people's cars . Makes my car feel as new as a 2002 BMW and I often ridicule other brand-new Bimmers I see on the road without HIDs. The chrome trim underneath the lens does create a halo of light distortion very high up, but that is unavoidable unless you want to paint the inside of the headlight black. I give it a 95%.

2000-model tail lights are superb! They totally refresh the look of the car from aged, to contemporary. Changes the entire look of the rear end and the reverse lamps are a lot brighter. 100%.

K&N + MAF + heat shield + ram air duct. Do not notice a difference in power, makes the engine growl a bit louder, and looks cool under the hood, but also introduces all kinds of dirt, dust, and filth into my engine bay. Makes me have to wipe down the engine bay more frequently, but I guess it does help airflow at high speeds. Satisfaction considering the time and money I spent 60%.

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Couldn't really feel any major performance gain, but looks so much better than the stock exhaust. I especially dig the way the fat pipes hang down and the tight fit of the muffler tips. I feel the exhaust isn't loud enough still, but after sitting in my friends' loud *** cars, I know that the droning sound will get very annoying after a while, especially after long road trips, so I don't mind as much. I want to replace the cat next so stay tuned. Satisfaction is 80%.

Sound system, I'm happy with except for two minor things: Stock free-air sub has poor power handling. I'm probably going to throw my dual JL 12s back in because I can't stand listening to trance with the bass bottoming out. I'm looking at larger, better free-air solutions as a permanent fix. My Kenwood Z828 deck is wretched. The MP3s load soooo slooowly... FILE CHECK!! FILE CHECK!! FILE CHECK!! Ughh. The deck itself pops out of the console about a half an inch so my console cupholder has to be manually pinched in and shut. That's a PITA since everyone that sits in my car has to pull the cup holder out. The JL amps 300/4 and 500/1 are superb. The Boston ProSeries speakers are excellent.

Llumar Metallic Tint. 5% in the rear, 50% in the front. 5% is perfect, 50% is not dark enough. Still feel the sun on me, people can see in easily, and 50% blends badly with 5%. I'm going to have the front windows redone in 30% and a 70% on the front windshield. That combo IMO is perfect. Manaray has a similar combo on his GS430 and it is straight baller. Tint will be 100% satisfied as soon as I get it redone right.

DIY clear corners. 60% satisfied because I didn't have a dremel gun to scrape off the residual glue and orange chunks from the stock side markers. Looks a little messy up close.

See Lexus Lobby for my thoughts on the Valentine 1 radar/lidar detector. 80% satisfied because price is a little steep.
Old 08-26-02, 10:19 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

down

Last edited by JohnnySC; 08-26-02 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 10:26 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

17 inch GS Wheels.....love em, especially how they retain the Lexus emblems

HID Kit....like Howie said....too purple. I have since swapped mine out and currently running the Sylvania Cool Blues.

Mesh Grille. Kinda of a different mod for the SC and I am pretty sure I am the only guy to have one.

Tint. Limo tint on all windows plus the windshield. I love it, the second best mod I have done (aside from the wheels). Keeps the interior much cooler and looks cool too!

Clublexus Sticker. Invaluable....add atleast 10 hp to the car

Regardless of everything, I love my car, but I am thinking about selling it (very serious). My caliper froze up tonight and I am F$%kING pissed. That kind of stuff should not happen to a 98 SC with low miles(50,375). Anyways, taking her to the dealer tomorrow and if she costs more than $350 to fix, she is going to get sold in favor of a LS400/LX470 or a Range Rover 4.6HSE.

Last edited by JohnnySC; 08-26-02 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-27-02, 12:28 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

92 Pearl White SC400

00 Sideskirts - 5/5

96 taillights - 4/5, i'm starting to like the 00 taillights

5300K HIDs - 5/5, like Lex400sc, I love how it flickers and lights up the whole road...nice bluish tint!

18x8 wheels all around - every SC NEEDS RIMS!! 3/5 - looking for new rims

Drilled/Slotted rotors - 5/5 looks CRAZY behind the rims

Soarer Emblems - 5/5 headturner at every pedestrian crossin' the road

Coming soon - Supra TT springs/shocks...5/5, I finally get dropped!

Maybe some TT brakes if I have extra $$
Old 08-27-02, 12:47 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

95 SC300

19in Chrome Lowenhart BSD 19x8 (235/35/19) front 19x9 rear (265/30/19) makes the car look alot better, kinda bumpy on rough roads though.

Eibach springs and Tokico shocks. Feel more of the road but handles well.

Audio and Visual.
Alpine IVA-800
Alpine DVA
2 5.6 Mobile TVs in the headrest.
MB Quart componets in the front 6.5
MB Quart coaxial in the rear 6.5
2 12in JL Audio w3s in the trunk
PPI PC650 pushing everything.
I think it was a waste of money to put all this stuff in since to dont ever really watch anything and have anyone else in the car, but I guess it justs looks good.

Also have Nicchrome tint dont know what percent it is but it looks good not to dark and not to light

Alarm with remote start. When I start it up and there are people around you should see the look on their faces.

Last edited by Din; 08-27-02 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-27-02, 01:19 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

92 SC300

18" Yokohama Advan VS-5 Chrome Rims w/ Yokohama AVS DB tires.
I really like the look, but the chrome is a pain to care for sometimes. The tires are super quiet and ride great but I am waiting for two new fronts to correct my steering. 8/10

New speakers and Amps
JL Audio XR-525Csi Separates + 12" JLAudio W3-v2 woofer. Running off 400+ watts of Rockford Fosgate amps. Mounted the sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure . Audiophile was the goal and it sounds excellent. Crossover added control of tones. Using the stock headunit was a plus for security and ease of use. 9/10

New Leather Interior.
www.leatherseats.com did a great job of customizing a set of covers for my seats. They came out excellent and fit better than stock. I love the result and for the $700 price tag it is the BEST mod I can think of. 10/10

Suspension
Eibach SC300 Springs and NEW OEM Struts. Lowered an inch and still has a great ride. Handles better and cruises smooth. 8/10

Tint
I had factory/dealer tint on that was a amber brown. I had to have that removed before starting the new tint. Rear three windows 10%, Sides 50%, Front Windshield 70%. I choose to do the whole car because of the amount of sun that the front windshield lets in. 9/10

Wood Dash Kit
www.veneerz.com did a great job matching this to the factory wood. However, the cut out for the factory stereo left alot to be desired. I never mounted the stereo and a/c pieces because of how much it covered. 5/10

Alarm
Viper 550 with autostart. Great fun, starting the lexus from the remote is blast. Only problem was that the tilt steering does not automatically return to position when the car started via remote. Easy fix is to his the program button. 8/10

more to come.

MW
Old 08-27-02, 04:16 PM
SCV8
Instructor

BFI intake,4/5
Weapon ecu,4/5
Supra tt suspension,5/5
17X8,17X9.5 Borbet type T's for $850w/new tires,5/5
Old 08-27-02, 05:35 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

pcmw, funny you mention that problem about the tilt column and the remote start, always bothered me even though you just have to hit that memory button......
Old 08-27-02, 06:53 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lex,

Yeah....the price we pay for luxury I guess?

MW
Old 08-27-02, 08:12 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I like my modifications just fine.
Old 08-27-02, 08:28 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by awj
I like my modifications just fine.
Ditto
Old 08-27-02, 08:50 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

2jzgte single turbo conv 6speed with 6speed rear end 20/10
tt brakes all around 10/10
bilstein japanese trd set 10/10
phenix 3" exhaust 8/10
soarer emblems and griffen with electric folding mirrors 9/10
eneki v1 18x8.0 front and 18x9.5 rear 9/10 have on tt wheels now
leather covers from pcmw 10/10 GREAT
alpine 1005 with dvd and changer 9/10
body kit when it goes on 20/10

can't think of any thing else

Last edited by Dew23; 08-27-02 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Your Modifications and Satisifaction Level