SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Salt Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 04:10 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt Sucks!

So today I decided to swap back to my summer wheels and tires since the weather is nice now. I had been hearing some odd sounds from the rear driver's side of my car so I figured this would be a good time to check things out. I was thinking it may be the UCL or the strut or something. Both looked fine, bushings all looked or, axle was fine. Everything that was there was fine. Then I noticed what wasn't there.

I got the car last spring and the PO said that he stored the car every winter. Lies, all lies!

Anybody got a spare subframe lying around?

And ignore the dirt. I usually keep it much cleaner. Had to make a small trip down a gravel road last night. I'm headed to the car wash shortly.
Old 03-18-11, 04:24 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about the Angelina Jolie movie LOL! But wow! Is salt really that corrosive? It's no wonder that California cars alone can command such a high premium in the used car market.
Old 03-18-11, 09:20 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hey if your going to get a whole subframe try to find an mk4 supra subframe. if you look through scotturnot's builds you can see the difference in design (it'll still bolt up) but these differences should make help the car in turns. now if you have the factory wheels or 16's then get teh non turbo version but if you have 17 or larger high disk wheels then you can get the us tt subframe with the upgraded brakes

Last edited by maynanator; 03-18-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 09:32 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

damn!!!!!!!!!!! im happy i dont see much salt in ga

as for the subframe its not something easily removed or put back either, youll need atleast an engine brace or lift to keep the engine up
Old 03-18-11, 09:55 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

What part of IA are you in? I've got a parts car here in NE that I'd sell the subframe off of for cheap. Is on a TX car with no rust whatsoever.
Old 03-18-11, 10:14 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
hey if your going to get a whole subframe try to find an mk4 supra subframe. if you look through scotturnot's builds you can see the difference in design (it'll still bolt up) but these differences should make help the car in turns.
There are no differences between SC and SUPRA subframes. There is a difference in the sway bar and parking brake cable. There is a difference between subframe years. In some year that is unknown to me Toyota revamped the subframe with addition braces.
Old 03-18-11, 10:22 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

heres scotturnot's post on the rear subframe.

Well Guys, I have been working on cleaning up the TT subframe assembly to prepare it for the install. While doing this I have been doing a side by side comparison of the TT subframe verses the Stock SC. First off I Would like to say, Those who say there is no gain in swapping the entire unit are wrong. Here are some of the differences I have noted.

Both the front and rear Lower Suspension links are are about 3" shorter
This was done for a couple reasons I suspect. Shorter links mean less flex and better control for cornering and drive trane shock from a manual tranny. They could shorten these since the Supra didnt need the extra travel due to it being lower than a stock SC I think. Stronger!
All four Body mount rubber bushing are a much stiffer Durometer along with being heavier built.
This again will serve as a much harder launch with a manual tranny. It is very clear this was intended for abuse! This is a Big Deal
Diff mounts are also stiffer rubber
Same as above
The actual subframe has subtle differences in construction.
These changes reinforce the frame for added drive Trane shock. Things like more boxed in arm mounts, More stamp reinenforcment in areas that count.
Of course don’t for get the Sway bar.
Tying the sway bar to the actual subframe instead of the body is for business type cornering.
And TT brakes to boot!

At this point I am pleased that I chose to swap the entire subframe assembly.
Old 03-18-11, 10:46 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
Both the front and rear Lower Suspension links are are about 3" shorter
This was done for a couple reasons I suspect. Shorter links mean less flex and better control for cornering and drive trane shock from a manual tranny. They could shorten these since the Supra didnt need the extra travel due to it being lower than a stock SC I think. Stronger!
All four Body mount rubber bushing are a much stiffer Durometer along with being heavier built.
This again will serve as a much harder launch with a manual tranny. It is very clear this was intended for abuse! This is a Big Deal
Diff mounts are also stiffer rubber
Same as above
The actual subframe has subtle differences in construction.
These changes reinforce the frame for added drive Trane shock. Things like more boxed in arm mounts, More stamp reinenforcment in areas that count.
Of course don’t for get the Sway bar.
Tying the sway bar to the actual subframe instead of the body is for business type cornering.
And TT brakes to boot!
RED = Opinion
BLUE = Not part of the subframe
YELLOW =As I said previous the difference in actual subframe construction is dependent on year not the chassis from which it came.
Old 03-18-11, 11:01 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

i know its not part on the subframe maybe i should rephrase what i originally said. i meant an entire dropout. in this case you do get some of those potential upgrades. hey im not trying to argue here. im just trying to help someone, not getting into a contest to see who knows more. once again i probably should of said an entire dropout. one more thing...adding in supports actually does help with strength.
Old 03-19-11, 03:12 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Originally Posted by schwarz
What part of IA are you in? I've got a parts car here in NE that I'd sell the subframe off of for cheap. Is on a TX car with no rust whatsoever.
I would be interested in the rear subframe you've got. I'm in Monticello, IA, east side of the state. Tried to PM you but couldn't, just shoot me an email with what you were thinking for a price. Thanks
triumphtr7@hotmail.com
Old 03-20-11, 09:45 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
There are no differences between SC and SUPRA subframes. There is a difference in the sway bar and parking brake cable. There is a difference between subframe years. In some year that is unknown to me Toyota revamped the subframe with addition braces.
What about a GS300 subframe? I found this ad saying they're interchangable and I happen to have one of those in storage. I'll dig it out this week and take some measurements, but was wondering if anyone knew.
Old 03-21-11, 10:14 AM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Thats bad.
Old 03-21-11, 04:19 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrBrock
What about a GS300 subframe? I found this ad saying they're interchangable and I happen to have one of those in storage. I'll dig it out this week and take some measurements, but was wondering if anyone knew.
Don't know about a GS but an SC300 will fit. The differential might be an issue with your SC4 trans but the bare subframe is the same I'm pretty sure.

And an email is forthcoming about the one I have.