5 Speed Vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 12:14 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DuWerke
Glad this topic came up...

And I'm already trying to put together a decent part list for building a automatic transmission to possible handle roughly around 400hp. I understand the auto tranny can handle about 350ish...but outside of a transmission cooler, what other mods can actually help extend the life and power of the transmission.

Just simply curious.

If you have an sc400 then your trans will handle 400whp stock as it is the same as a tt auto internally but if you need more and wan't to make it perform better then get an IPT valvebody and a PI stall and it should handle more than 400whp with ease and of course a good B&M cooler to keep it cool.

Doing a burnout and allowing the car to shift will kill the sprags which is the weak link but if you avoud shifting the car while it is spinning then they have been known to handle north of 700whp and run single didgets in the 1/4.

An auto is always faster than a manual and considering the crappy manual transmissions avl other than the v160 the Automagic is the best bet and those bashing the auto have most likely never been in a fast auto car.
Old 03-21-11, 12:17 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
If you have an sc400 then your trans will handle 400whp stock as it is the same as a tt auto internally but if you need more and wan't to make it perform better then get an IPT valvebody and a PI stall and it should handle more than 400whp with ease and of course a good B&M cooler to keep it cool.

Doing a burnout and allowing the car to shift will kill the sprags which is the weak link but if you avoud shifting the car while it is spinning then they have been known to handle north of 700whp and run single didgets in the 1/4.

An auto is always faster than a manual and considering the crappy manual transmissions avl other than the v160 the Automagic is the best bet and those bashing the auto have most likely never been in a fast auto car.
I got a some experience with a boosted automatic transmission with my currect car (Scion tC @ 250hp on 7psi). And the feel of never breaking boost is just a rush. Granted I'm not trying to make 1000+ on a SC300...but with a possibly goal of 375-400 on a AT is very doable methinks.
Old 03-21-11, 12:24 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yup no issues at all^^
Old 03-21-11, 03:37 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DuWerke
I got a some experience with a boosted automatic transmission with my currect car (Scion tC @ 250hp on 7psi). And the feel of never breaking boost is just a rush. Granted I'm not trying to make 1000+ on a SC300...but with a possibly goal of 375-400 on a AT is very doable methinks.
Most people bashing autos have just been watching the Fast and Furious movies too much.
Old 03-21-11, 04:07 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

5-speed for sure! I never want to touch another auto car, I don't know what to do with my left leg!

It also depends on what you do with your car, if you just want to go fast in a straight line, auto will do the job, but I love manual because you can play with your car, you can down shift, heel toe, rev match, etc.. It's fun! Nothing like driving a manual! You'll seldom see people driving automatics to a tracking event. This is the same reason why although some auto are now faster than manual cars due to new technology (I dont think sc300 auto is faster than manual) many people still prefer to drive manual, just look at BMW, Audi, etc, most of their car has manual line-up.

Last edited by ClearP; 03-21-11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 04:15 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Most likely because of the tq that the vvti makes which would make the glassmission that came in them very unreliable over the period of warranty years.
Obviously you never seen a W58 do 400hp without a problem, I'd like to see 280hp VVTI engine shatter a Lexus "glassmission".

Most people bashing autos have just been watching the Fast and Furious movies too much.
Nope they've just decided to finally learn how to drive

Last edited by ClearP; 03-21-11 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 04:42 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ClearP
Obviously you never seen a W58 do 400hp without a problem, I'd like to see 280hp VVTI engine shatter a Lexus "glassmission".

Nope they've just decided to finally learn how to drive
I shattered 2 transmissions in my 95 5 speed at the strip on a stock engine with a little spray and dr's both were in the mid 1.6 60ft so yea they are great if you don't want to go fast.

The trans has a certain burst strength rated at about 200ftlbs so yea the trans sucks however it does not mean it won't make more hp it's just a matter of how long and how much heat and tq as well.

These transmissions were never ment to handle anything more than stock hp levels they flat out suck!

If you hook good at the strip they are going to go south rather quickly and if you are not breaking them then you need to learn how to drive.

R154 will for sure handle more tq and hp but it shifts like an f350 dump truck from 1983.

V160 or 161 or auto however the v160 is a freak of nature that will handle massive amnts of tr and hp as it has the strength of a sequential dogbox in a syncro box.
Old 03-21-11, 04:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I would bet my life I could break a w58 behind a stock vvti 2j with ease.
Old 03-21-11, 04:47 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

If you have an sc400 then your trans will handle 400whp stock as it is the same as a tt auto internally but if you need more and want to make it perform better then get an IPT valvebody and a PI stall and it should handle more than 400whp with ease and of course a good B&M cooler to keep it cool.

Doing a burnout and allowing the car to shift will kill the sprags which is the weak link but if you avoid shifting the car while it is spinning then they have been known to handle north of 700whp and run single digits in the 1/4.

Nobody is bashing the auto - it can be said some people are "manual bashing", too.
*Edit: Wrote this before this the last couple of posts got posted.

Yes, car-for car, hp-for-hp, an auto is always faster, that's logic (a computer can shift faster than a human, duh). But being a tenth of a second quicker does not make it better. It's a preference. For example, I have an auto now, but really want a manual because it's simply more fun to drive. Plus, stock-for stock, the A340E (or is it A343E? Can't remember) is much "softer", less efficient; it doesn't put as much power to the ground as the W58 does, so all things being the same you'll see a difference as soon as you do a swap. If you want to make big power, either way you're going to have to build the trans. I think it comes down to preference.

700rwhp on a stock A340E/A343E? Got a link? Even if that is the case that's on the very, very edge of what that transmission can do/hold, seems like a matter of time before it breaks. If you're making that kind of power, you've spent some money, so why not just build the trans?

Are you sure about the SC400 having a different trans than the 300? I know that in the later years the 400 got a 5-speed auto, but I'm 99% sure both 4-speed autos are the same (same model #, same transmission).

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 03-21-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 04:49 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I would bet my life I could break a w58 behind a stock vvti 2j with ease.
My SECOND auto is going out, and I'm only putting out ~255hp at the crank. The W58 will hold more power, I don't know why this is being argued.
Old 03-21-11, 05:26 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest issue with transmission is age. Moderate amounts of boost will be on a fresh w58 but not so much on an aged one.
Old 03-21-11, 05:47 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
Nobody is bashing the auto - it can be said some people are "manual bashing", too.
*Edit: Wrote this before this the last couple of posts got posted.

Yes, car-for car, hp-for-hp, an auto is always faster, that's logic (a computer can shift faster than a human, duh). But being a tenth of a second quicker does not make it better. It's a preference. For example, I have an auto now, but really want a manual because it's simply more fun to drive. Plus, stock-for stock, the A340E (or is it A343E? Can't remember) is much "softer", less efficient; it doesn't put as much power to the ground as the W58 does, so all things being the same you'll see a difference as soon as you do a swap. If you want to make big power, either way you're going to have to build the trans. I think it comes down to preference.

700rwhp on a stock A340E/A343E? Got a link? Even if that is the case that's on the very, very edge of what that transmission can do/hold, seems like a matter of time before it breaks. If you're making that kind of power, you've spent some money, so why not just build the trans?

Are you sure about the SC400 having a different trans than the 300? I know that in the later years the 400 got a 5-speed auto, but I'm 99% sure both 4-speed autos are the same (same model #, same transmission).
I never said a stock a341e (sc400) would take 700 whp a slightly modded one will with a vb upgrade and a pi stall along with a good cooler would be able to go low 10s for sure as we have done this in the past with success.

If a stock auto is going bad it is most likely owner neglect such as dirty and or inproper fluid abuse etc.

I don't know about the 6cyl auto trans first hand but I was told they were not the same so I doubt you could expect 700whp with those mods listed above however I have no 1st hand exp with that trans.

Manual is funner to abuse for sure but not faster so if you are in to the fun factor then manual all the way however I myself like to go fast as I can and an semi built auto will do this.

There is a reason all new performance cars come with a paddle shift auto
Old 03-21-11, 05:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

A341e is the v-8 and tt auto and a340 is the 6cyl trans and the a650e is the 5 spd auto found in the later model cars which is seriously weak.
Old 03-21-11, 06:27 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

My friend is pushing 400hp on track for 2 years now with his W58, maybe it didnt work for you, twice, but I've seen it work fine for many other. Same can be said the same for auto, but even if the auto can handle 1000hp, I would sacrifice power for the fun of driving any day.
Old 03-21-11, 07:02 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

It can be done and has been done but is a time bomb and for the record I don't "manual bash" as I drive an evo 8 daily and just sold my supra 6spd which I regret however it gets old daily driving a stick shift as sometimes it's nice to jump in the sc400 and cruise with no worries but as stated it comes down to personal choice and when I was younger I would have tried to argue the same thing for the fun facror but I am just an old fart now

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Vs. Automatic