SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

just a preview alot of work still left.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 03:11 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a preview alot of work still left.....

well im back on my weekend adventures with the sc, last week i spent time getting the gixxer back on the road...

now im knocking out this interior i was a little unsure about dyeing the interior but it came out pretty good only did one door panel alot more to go,

im thinking about doing the woodgrain in a titanium finish to give the blk some accents,
Attached Thumbnails just a preview alot of work still left.....-imag0207.jpg   just a preview alot of work still left.....-imag0213.jpg  
Old 03-19-11, 03:14 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looks pretty good so far, what did you do to the wood trim. was is a flat black paint or is there a gloss to it?
Old 03-19-11, 03:24 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

are you using SEM? it looks good from the pic but how is it up close? Would a random person notice that you dyed it? Im kinda hesitant attempt cause im scared it'll look cheap.
Old 03-19-11, 05:58 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

trust me in person you wouldnt even be able to tell its dyed and its nice and smooth to the touch and im actually using dupli-color product....

as long as you prep the leather good it will come out better than you think and i actually hung the pieces from my garage door and took mt time sprayed them good....

the wood grain is actually wrap with gloss vinyl, but i am thinking about changing it just a text run for now,
Attached Thumbnails just a preview alot of work still left.....-imag0209.jpg  
Old 03-19-11, 06:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome keep us updated and take more pics when finished looks great from that pic!
Old 03-19-11, 07:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Duplicolor the first time, trying to find some SEM paint local, and I wished I would have waited until I did. The duplicolor didnt hold up very well at all. Thats my opinion and my experience. Looks good so far. Good luck with the rest of the build.

More pictures!
Old 03-19-11, 07:45 PM
Johnnilam
Driver School Candidate

look really good, is there a guide on how this is done thanks
Old 03-20-11, 11:37 AM
hovsc400
Pole Position

no guide that i am aware of but i know there was a bunch of guys who did it, the key is taking your time and prepping the dye wont hold up if you dont prep your parts right
Old 03-20-11, 12:27 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the exact product you are using and where to purchase for those interested?
Old 03-20-11, 04:25 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

i used dupil-color vinyl and cloth dye, you can use it on any part of your interior, or you can buy sem products or at a local store in your area, alot of guys on here vouch for sem, but i have had good experience with that dupil-color its held up in the past very well for me again key is your prep, if you dont prep right even sem will not hold up, im not doing my seats im gonna find or actually put blk leather on the seats, ive done car reconditioning for 9 yrs and there is not a dye product that can stand up to the abuse a car seat takes no matter how good you dye it the color will come off...

anyway here is a revised wood trim piece gimme your thoughts, im pretty sure im gonna go wit the silver versus the vinyl blk silver gives a niece accent to the blk panel,
Attached Thumbnails just a preview alot of work still left.....-imag0217.jpg   just a preview alot of work still left.....-imag0218.jpg  
Old 03-20-11, 06:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats really nice bro, what are your prep steps?
Old 03-20-11, 07:05 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only advice I have is to use the matte black duplicolor. The highgloss black leaves a really blinding gloss shine. Some people might like it, but I found the matte black looks much better. Either way, you did an excellent job sir. I also hang my parts from the garage door ha.
Old 03-20-11, 07:24 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Thats really nice bro, what are your prep steps?

for the leather i used some all purpose cleaner wit a nylon net sponge and scrub it good to get all the grime out let it dry then gave it a light rub wit brake cleaner to dry the leather out good (dont scrub wit brake cleaner will melt your leather brake cleaner is strong) then hung it up and began to spray jus doing that one door panel used almost 2 cans....and be sure to seperate all the pieces of the door panel done cheat and try to spray as one piece....

for the woodgrain pretty simple sand, prime, sand, prime, and paint, theres a thread on painting the woodgrain.....
Old 03-20-11, 07:27 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Only advice I have is to use the matte black duplicolor. The highgloss black leaves a really blinding gloss shine. Some people might like it, but I found the matte black looks much better. Either way, you did an excellent job sir. I also hang my parts from the garage door ha.

yea i know wht you mean, but i like the gloss look, and yes hanging parts from the garage is the way to go..
Old 03-20-11, 07:50 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Did you paint your carpet piece as well? It's looking like I'm not going to be able to reuse my black door panel, so I'm wondering if I want to try transferring the black carpet to the soon-to-be-black panel, or just paint the existing grey carpet.

Quick Reply: just a preview alot of work still left.....