SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

BOTH doors on '95 SC300 won't open. Locked out, what do I do? PLESE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 08:05 PM
La Lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happen to me last year if you are going to break anything break the sunroof. The glass is allot softer then the side glass and allot easier. I brought a used sunroof glass for $100 bucks problem sovled
Old 03-24-11, 07:24 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

have a locksmith come and try to unlock it. Plus if you have ever seen inside of the SC door you would have to be a damn surgion to Snag the Rod that Controls the lock. PLUS THE MECHINISM WORKS IN A DOWNWARD MOTION SO YOU WOULD HAVE TO GRAB IT AND PUSH DOWN.
This happened to me about 2 months ago on a very cold day. i got lucky and had my son slip in through the trunk and past my Racing fuel cell. this is not an option for any Sock or slightly modded SC.
your going to have to pull the handle that works to get it opened. and your BEST option if you need to break anything should be your front windshield. its always nice to have a freash windsheild and there only 180 -240 $. Well worth it
Old 03-24-11, 09:47 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I am not advising breaking anything.......but a new SC windshield down here in Houston is $190 installed......just saying........
Old 03-24-11, 11:09 AM
Adaa60
Rookie

ryana8888 i have bad news

i know this issue, and i have bad news and good news

the bad news - you will have to break a window, seriously, there is no other way to open that door currently. i would chose the passenger side. 1 its the cheapest window to replace yourself. 2 the door is going to be jammed so getting it opened with a jimmy is impossible.

the Good news - you can fix this issue for about $13.74 at Napa, what happened is the plastic clips that hold the push bar that goes from the door mech to your outside handle has broke off. Napa sells a uinervasal kit you can buy you will need 2 of them. you want the yellow one i think. you need to open the door and remove the door panel then you may need to remove the window rail to get the handle out. mine was a ***** and i striped the bolts. if you need help with the fix let me know.

Sorry about the window
Old 03-24-11, 11:23 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, if you do have a broken clip that holds the actuator rod in place Toyota will sell you the actual correct clip (I do not think Lexus will but I may be mistaken) Regardless if you do a search on the forum someone has listed with pics the exact clip and part number needed to get it from either dealer. It's just a few bucks and each door side takes a different part number. If your smart you will buy several as backup. Approx every 100,000 miles(5 to 10 years) these parts usually bite the dust.........nothing last forever....especially plastic and rubber parts....plenty of info on the sc door actuators and clips on the forums.....the actuators intact "rod" has been known to break as well(happened to me on pass side), again a thorough search will reveal everything you need to know about SC doors/locks. All can be done via DIY but can be a PITA.
Old 03-24-11, 11:34 AM
Adaa60
Rookie

Originally Posted by meangreen1
Yep me too. Mine works every so often. I cant figure it out. All the DIY's don't apply. The little white tab is not broken. I think the proble lies in the white lock box????
is yours not opening from the outside or inside or both? the inside is age and the cable has streached, to fix this i just removed the end at the interior handle and added a nut to it to take up some slack.

im not sure about the outside part tho but if that cable is bound up or lose then the door wont open from either side
Old 05-26-12, 01:08 AM
Ramasc3
Driver School Candidate

Default Method for opening

Don't break a window, or anything else, if and when this happens to someone else who has looked online for a solution. It took me several attempts over many hours each day during a three day weekend with a bunch of different methods to figure out a solution, and since the little clip broke again, I've had to use the same technique I used before to open my door. Once you've assembled the equipment, it really shouldn't take long at all....my last try a few weeks ago took no more than 5 minutes because I had luckily not thrown away my "rod and reel". Sorry, I can't upload pictures from my IPad, so I'll try to be descriptive, and will answer any additional questions emailed to me, and email pictures if need be. I don't sign in very often, so email me at Ramasc3@yahoo.com if you think you need further assistance from me.

You'll need two wire hangers, fishing line and a metal or strong plastic rod (flashlight, tool, etc...). Unravel the hangers, then twine two ends together to make your reel. It's tough, but you'll need the length. I wrapped the edges on the hangers that I twined together with e-tape to save the paint as I jimmied it past the door jamb. At the end you will be inserting, make a hook, or better yet a loop, by bending a small portion of the metal with some pliers. I made a loop by bending around about 1-1.5" of the metal around back to itself. At the other end, make a slight bend in the metal to use as a handle and fulcrum, as a piece of bent metal this long acts like a spring and you'll need the stability. Shape the reel so that it will reach downward to the area where the door handle will be, since you will have to enter the cab from the top corner of the door.

Using fishing line or some comparably strong filament, cut off a very long piece. The line will have to be long enough to loop onto the door handle, and have a few feet still outside of the door. With it, you will make a simple loop attached to the loop on the rod, by crossing the ends of the fishing line and pulling through one end, like the first step of tying a shoe (a slip knot). Pull it through, and try to even out the ends of the line, but do not pull it completely tight. Leave about a two inch opening in the loop of the line on your reel.

Now the easy part. Pry the door from the door jamb and put in a/some shims to keep it open. Start feeding in your reel, and try and try again to get the loop of fishing line in the very thin gap at the front of the door handle. Youre trying to snag the handle with the line. Once it is, pull the reel back just slightly to make sure the line is not in position to slip back off. Make sure your door is unlocked. Now wrap the ends of the line that you left leading to the outside of the door around something strong (I used a ratchet extender), and pull. DO NOT WRAP THE LINE AROUND YOUR HANDS AND FINGERS AND PULL (yeah, something else I figured out). The loop in the line likely will not tighten completely around the door handle, but it doesn't matter. You'll notice the handle pulling out, just keep pulling, the door will pop open. Once you've it open, keep your window slightly open (not all the way down, you can damage other things if the broken piece is in the way) whenever you're parked someplace, otherwise you'll be using this method again. Here's a link to how you can fix the piece that broke so that you can open the door from the exterior as usual.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iy-w-pics.html

Last edited by Ramasc3; 03-18-13 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Adding more