SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Varrstoen Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
i dont see how thats possible, if you ever seen quality of weld wheels(probably the worst) and they hold up fine in 1000+hp applications and i have hands on experience with using them on my own car with a decent amount of power
I thought Weld wheels were forged. Anyway I did find it odd when that guy posted that, didn't get any more details.
Old 03-26-11, 06:30 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant stand videos like that. the next time I drop a hydraulic weight on my wheels in an unrealistic circumstance I'll buy a "genuine" set of wheels. its like snapon when they advertise their toolboxes. they just provide useless demonstrations of **** that nobody cares about
Old 03-26-11, 06:34 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I thought Weld wheels were forged. Anyway I did find it odd when that guy posted that, didn't get any more details.
i highly doubt they will sell you a set of forged wheels for less then 100 dollars a pice..trust me they are junk and bend like crazy...but are light and cheap with many offset options and thats why alot of domestic guys use them.
Old 03-26-11, 08:13 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use Weld wheels strictly for the track and as a drag package and have no issues with them bending or any other issues.

We are using the AlumaStar 2.0 on our cars.
Old 03-26-11, 09:48 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by benxd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk

Reverse engineered wheels that are made to look like something they're not.

Hit a pothole. $50 to straighten a bend on a quality wheel vs $??? to replace a cracked knockoff.
well im not sure what to say about that ---they tested one immitation wheel against their own product---i get where your going with this but i dont think that video really proved anything.

who straightens wheels for 50 dollars? its gonna cost you mount/dismount and rebalance at least 30 on a low profile. Please dont show me some promotional video for a japan wheel company...i got a buddy that just hit a small pothole with his japan made racing heart 2 piece wheel thats bent like ***** and now hes stuck riding on stocks looking for a place to straighten his wheels. Closest place 1 hour away....hes pissed he blew his money cuz hes not rich and expected more from a set of multi thousand dollar set of wheels that act like cheap knock offs. What about the cheap sears/pep boys wheels that people drive on for years and years at a time...my wife had a set of katana racing heart knock offs for 3 years on her camry 7 years ago and they lasted 3 years and 2 sets of tires, they bend but didnt leak and clear peeled just like real expensive rims after about a year and good winter.
Its cool though, some people have experience watching youtube videos...carry on
yes that video was not done by a third party with no agenda--it was pretty obvious it was done by the wheel makers themself and of course have a pretty clear agenda.

Originally Posted by fleishelja
I cant stand videos like that. the next time I drop a hydraulic weight on my wheels in an unrealistic circumstance I'll buy a "genuine" set of wheels. its like snapon when they advertise their toolboxes. they just provide useless demonstrations of **** that nobody cares about
agreed

On another note---I bought a used set of 20 inch MSR wheels. Now i dont know where MSR fits in with the rest of the market but I assume they are not the top of the line-----please correct me if im wrong.

Anyways I hit a curb going VERY fast----so fast that it bent my knuckle on my right side completely and the right wheel was unable to turn left or right----there was severe damage to the front end from the looks of it and i assumed at the very least i would need a new front right rim.

I was very surprised when my mechanic told me it was only a new knuckle i needed.

I was even more surprised when my wheel turned out to be working fine with no bends , cracks or balancing needed.

Im very happy with the quality of my wheels---although i think they are probably heavier than some other brands. oh well
Old 03-26-11, 10:59 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SChema
We use Weld wheels strictly for the track and as a drag package and have no issues with them bending or any other issues.

We are using the AlumaStar 2.0 on our cars.
alumastars are def nicer wheels and they are more expensive then prostars is what i ran on my street/strip car with over 700rwhp through a th400 and 9", the do bend on the street pretty easily but i guess any light weight wheel would unless its forged.
Old 03-26-11, 11:09 AM
flipkc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found my next wheels...yum!
Old 03-26-11, 12:16 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Varrstoen has really come up in rep wheel production. I would have gotten their 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 if they made them back when I was in the market for wheels. Everyone that I've talked to that has 'em says that they're good for replicas.

Also there's no doubt that there's no better TE rep out there than these.
Old 03-26-11, 03:03 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like all their designs, but they really should offer more sizing options (offsets, diameter, and width). Good looking wheels, though!

Lovin' the pic of the black SC with 2.2.1's!
Old 03-26-11, 03:06 PM
Zachsta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am VERY happy with my Varrstoens. It helps alot that the owner is very cool, and they seem to put a bit more effort into their wheels, even though they are reps.
Old 03-26-11, 03:19 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ any pics zachsta?
Old 03-26-11, 03:26 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm liking these offsets a lot: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6067840-post1.html
Old 03-26-11, 03:43 PM
Zachsta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't taken any decent pictures of it static yet, I've only shot that one of it rolling, but here's a ****ty cell phone pic.

Front and rear are both 18x10.5 0 offset.
Old 03-26-11, 03:51 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who straightens wheels for 50 dollars? its gonna cost you mount/dismount and rebalance at least 30 on a low profile. Please dont show me some promotional video for a japan wheel company...i got a buddy that just hit a small pothole with his japan made racing heart 2 piece wheel thats bent like ***** and now hes stuck riding on stocks looking for a place to straighten his wheels. Closest place 1 hour away....hes pissed he blew his money cuz hes not rich and expected more from a set of multi thousand dollar set of wheels that act like cheap knock offs. What about the cheap sears/pep boys wheels that people drive on for years and years at a time...my wife had a set of katana racing heart knock offs for 3 years on her camry 7 years ago and they lasted 3 years and 2 sets of tires, they bend but didnt leak and clear peeled just like real expensive rims after about a year and good winter.
Its cool though, some people have experience watching youtube videos...carry on
there's the reason why your replica wheels lasted. your car doesn't even make any power or pull respectable g's on corners, and probably had a sidewall as tall as mt. Everest.
Old 03-26-11, 03:57 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ElitistK
there's the reason why your replica wheels lasted. your car doesn't even make any power or pull respectable g's on corners, and probably had a sidewall as tall as mt. Everest.
lol, well you def know alot about wheels. Does a GS pull respectable gs on corners? What does making power has anything to do with how wheels fail while hitting a bump or a puthole? it was 225/40/18 so the sidewall isnt huge. My buddy just got an estimate from a shop with a good rep to fix his one racing heart on his GS which is still holding air but bend in 3 places $170....yep as we took the wheels of the car today he discovered another rear wheel that has 2 bends on the inner lip....another 170.HE def wishes he didnt buy them, plus they arent even cleared so they need to be polished constantly.

Quick Reply: Varrstoen Rims