SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help, engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 01:12 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, engine won't start

For some stupid reason, i decided to degrease my engine by washing it. After the wash, i started the engine and everything work fine, til the next day when i start driving and feel weird stalling, there was one point the engine just shut down and i had to put it in N to start it again, and it worked. Now one night after, it doesn't start anymore. I checked and it's not battery. Can anyone please help? Is it the fuelpump ECU, the air mass sensor? Does reset the car ECU help? If so, how can i do it? I am stranded, please help....
Old 08-27-02, 02:02 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

I tried to put a jumper in the Engine Diagnostic, and the Check Engine light blink up once, pause, then blink up 5 time. That is the sequence. Does anybody know what does this code indicate?? Thanks
Old 08-27-02, 04:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on this site for my direction on how to retrieved trouble codes.

Do you know how to take the sparkplugs out of your car? Check all sparkplug for wetness. I am pretty sure you have water in all of the sparkplug boot (its the metal housing that align the plug wire to the plug) When you wash the car, water get in there and get everything wet. Nothing major, just work slowly if it your first time taking the sparkplug out
Old 08-27-02, 04:55 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Thanks VQT...I got it fixed already. Turned out it was the wires into the ignition coil didn't have a good contact. When i started the car, i notice the excessive smell of gas from the muffler, especially only one side( the other side smell normal). So, i was thinking there is gotta be one or more cylinder in there don't have detonation which kicked out the unburn fuel. That lead me to the ignition system, mainly the coil. Turned out, that was exactly what happened. One of the coil didn't work properly. Anyway....i am glad this is over, otherwise i would have it towed to the dealer or the mechanic and wasted big bucks...

P.S: I didn't really think of the water got into the system because after the wash, the engine was running fine, then the next day i took it for a long 3 hours drive and there weren't any problem......I thought with all the heat in the engine, that would help evaporate all the moisture in there....But thank you for your reply VQT...BTW...i am in PA too...Good to see someone else in here live in PA.
Old 08-27-02, 08:39 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

It happen to me when I wash mine a day after I bought the Green one last year. Car drove fine after the wash then the next day its started to act up. Eventually I check the sparkplugs, there were water inside the tube, the one that near the fire wall on both side.:eek: the engine was very dirty and I wash it with a lot of engine degreaser and water.
So watch out the next time you wash the engine, just don't spray too much water on the plastic cover that lable V8

There are a few people people here from PA.
Old 08-13-03, 11:37 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aww my car starts but it's weird..yes I did wash the engine slightly last weekend. I knew I had to cover them but I was lazy. I tried to avoid waterin' into the engine part though..

when I start the car now, it takes2-4 sec. once it starts everything is fine.
one time it didn't start but instead it made the sound like "tack tack tack tack tack tack.." (sorry I'm not good at sound effect..). but most of time it starts with 2-4 sec (and during those second, I hear slow engine sound..)

so I thought the water got in the spark plugs and just checked them. no water there. I didn't check the pass side though. ( I changed the plugs&wires last year)

battery: I got around 10.41V and once I start the engine it goes up to 14.3V.
Ignition coil: I looked at IG-9 section of vol 1, and it says Primary coil resistance shoudl be 0.40-0.50ohms but I got 0.8. is it too high?

one thing I notice while I was there is that I kinda see the little water like on the picture. if water went in from here, what can I do?
Attached Thumbnails Help, engine won't start-134_3481a.jpg  
Old 08-13-03, 11:46 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

What is that hose for anyway?
Old 08-13-03, 12:37 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Vegassc400
What is that hose for anyway?