SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Engine just "dies" out of nowhere, but able to crank right back up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:00 AM
baodalazi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine just "dies" out of nowhere, but able to crank right back up?

my car recently started to die while i drive suddenly with no given symptoms beforehand. just basically driving on i-10 and engine just dies out on me. i take it out of gear let it coast and turn ignition all the way off then crank it right back up.

Anybody else ever had this problem before? what could be wrong with the car to have this happen?

any help or response would be appreciated
Old 03-28-11, 10:32 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I had this happen and after weeks of MADDENING diagnostics, found out it was a bad coil pack. I recommend picking up a set of coil packs from a local yard, putting them in, and seeing if this happens again. I got 2 of them for $60. My old ones were some piece of **** "made in china" coil packs and the used ones have been running strong now for 10k miles.
Old 03-28-11, 04:26 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baodalazi
my car recently started to die while i drive suddenly with no given symptoms beforehand. just basically driving on i-10 and engine just dies out on me. i take it out of gear let it coast and turn ignition all the way off then crank it right back up.

Anybody else ever had this problem before? what could be wrong with the car to have this happen?

any help or response would be appreciated
Yes, with other cars, MAF.... But also could be could be Cam Position Sensor... Or Coil packs as someone else said. It's one of those hard things to diagnose.
Old 03-28-11, 04:46 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

[
yes man i had this exact same problem ----and just like klaus said ---after WEEKS of hellish diagnostics--------it tured out to be a loose plug on my cam position sensor.

first of all are u throwing any engine codes?

anyways get the car to a mechanic and have them check the cam and crank sensors along with coil packs.

Hopefully beetween those 3 you will find your issue.

good luck
Old 03-28-11, 06:10 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure your igniter is properly grounded. If it doesn't have a ground then your car wont start, and if your car is running and the igniter looses it's ground, the car will shut off. I'm not talking about a wired ground from the harness, but rather the ground where the igniter bolts on to the chassis.

I had this happen about a week ago. Took forever to figure out what the hell was going on.
Old 03-28-11, 07:25 PM
baodalazi
Rookie

Default reponses

what are coil packs? are they located inside the distributor? the car cranks right back up though whenever it turns off
Old 03-28-11, 07:35 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Yes my car would crank right back up. Each one connects to a respective distributor. Also you should pull your codes. Your CEL might not be on, but that doesn't mean that your ECU doesn't have error codes stored. Do that first before you pull anything.
Old 03-28-11, 07:36 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? If you have a distributor ignition system you will not have any coil packs. Newer vehicles are equipped with the coilpacks, I beleive on the SCs the (98+)VVTi models have them
Old 03-28-11, 07:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yes my car also did not have a cel on but had codes stored in it, not sure why it is like that but it is.

If you dont know how to check your codes please ask and we can help---it is extremely easy.
Old 03-28-11, 07:45 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
What year is your car? If you have a distributor ignition system you will not have any coil packs. Newer vehicles are equipped with the coilpacks, I beleive on the SCs the (98+)VVTi models have them
Sorry man, but that's bad info. The 1uz uses a coil before each the distributor. You are thinking of coil on plug. I'm pretty I know that I replaced coils on my 94 sc400...
Old 03-28-11, 10:08 PM
baodalazi
Rookie

i have a 92 sc300 5speed so there are two distributors? or am i confused? is there a writeup on how to change these out? also any websites or stores where i can purchase these for a decent price?
Old 03-28-11, 10:08 PM
baodalazi
Rookie

o yeah and how do you check the codes? is there a writeup for it?
Old 03-28-11, 10:53 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

o yeah and how do you check the codes? is there a writeup for it?
In the engine bay there is a diagnostics plug along the intake manifold. Open it and jump pins e1 and t1 (may not be exact wording but you'll know when you look). By doing this, when you turn your key to the "on" position, your check engine light will blink.

Somewhere there is a guide on how many blinks mean what. If you're light blinks non stop at the same pace then you aren't throwing any codes.
Old 03-29-11, 02:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 429 Likes on 353 Posts

It's most likely the fuel pump ECU going out. I had the same issue when I first got my SC300.

Here's a link to fix it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html.
Old 03-29-11, 08:48 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Klaus
Sorry man, but that's bad info. The 1uz uses a coil before each the distributor. You are thinking of coil on plug. I'm pretty I know that I replaced coils on my 94 sc400...
I was assuming he had a SC300

i have a 92 sc300 5speed so there are two distributors? or am i confused? is there a writeup on how to change these out? also any websites or stores where i can purchase these for a decent price?
The SC300 only has one distributor. Looking down at your engine bay to your left on top of the exhaust manifold theres a round shaped part with the sparkplug wire coming out into the head-valve over. Thats your distributor.

As for parts I look on Ebay first then call your local autoparts store to compare prices.

Quick Reply: Engine just "dies" out of nowhere, but able to crank right back up?