Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 01:51 PM
ChaosHokie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this '92 SC400?

Hey all,

looking for some advice....

My Dad is planning on selling his '92 SC400. He basically doesn't drive it anymore, and it's been pretty stagnant in his garage for the last year to year+half. Part of the reason he doesn't drive it is because something in the electrical system is draining the battery super fast (alternator maybe?). He was fairly average in routine maintenance, e.g. oil/fluid/tires/brakes.

I'm thinking about taking it off his hands, but I'm trying to decide how much work/money it will be to maintain it. At this point, my main concern is keeping it running, cleaning up some of the interior wiggly-bits. Also, I figure a tune-up is in order. If that's not too painful, I might make some minor tweaks to it.... Also, while mechanically inclined, I don't have the time to do major work on my own.

I do want this to be a daily driver (it'd replace a '06 Honda Civic).

The details:
* The car has about 65k miles on it.
* Needs new trunk springs.
* Needs new power antenna.
* Head unit tape-deck doesn't work, but CD-changer still works.
* Pretty sure it needs a new alternator/need to figure out what's causing the short in the electrical system.
* Front leather seats starting to crack
* Rear-view mirror is permanently dimmed.

Thoughts?
Old 03-28-11, 01:59 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes i would buy 65k is low and the problems are very minor, How much he asking for? Got any pics?
Old 03-28-11, 02:00 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

well since it's your dads car you'd probably know if he kept up with the maintenance aka timing belt water pump etc. if i were you before buying the car get an volt meter and go from line to line until you find a culprit. anyways with low miles like that its definetely a keeper. if its just an electrical isssue that your worried about then i would say you should buy it, plus if you can knock off a few thousand off the price...being that your buying it from family...then i would say your crazy not to buy a lexus with low mileage like that.
Old 03-28-11, 02:03 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It only has 65k miles?!?! That's really damn low for a '92. Honestly, either keep it, or take it off his hands and sell it.

Your issue is probably the alternator. You can find one for roughly $100 and install this yourself. There is a DIY video on youtube on how to remove and install a 2JZ alternator if you've never done one before.

Ok, some of your other issues are very common. I bet 70% of us don't have working trunk struts or working antennas. And who the hell needs a tape deck lol. All SC seats have shown their age from the '90s.
Old 03-28-11, 02:31 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChaosHokie
Hey all,

looking for some advice....

My Dad is planning on selling his '92 SC400. He basically doesn't drive it anymore, and it's been pretty stagnant in his garage for the last year to year+half. Part of the reason he doesn't drive it is because something in the electrical system is draining the battery super fast (alternator maybe?). He was fairly average in routine maintenance, e.g. oil/fluid/tires/brakes.

I'm thinking about taking it off his hands, but I'm trying to decide how much work/money it will be to maintain it. At this point, my main concern is keeping it running, cleaning up some of the interior wiggly-bits. Also, I figure a tune-up is in order. If that's not too painful, I might make some minor tweaks to it.... Also, while mechanically inclined, I don't have the time to do major work on my own.

I do want this to be a daily driver (it'd replace a '06 Honda Civic).

The details:
* The car has about 65k miles on it.
* Needs new trunk springs.
* Needs new power antenna.
* Head unit tape-deck doesn't work, but CD-changer still works.
* Pretty sure it needs a new alternator/need to figure out what's causing the short in the electrical system.
* Front leather seats starting to crack
* Rear-view mirror is permanently dimmed.

Thoughts?
65K..... Uhh, ya you should buy it! Condition the leather, test the alternator (don't just start throwing parts at the car hoping it will fix it) and you will have a very nice car for a long time!
Old 03-28-11, 02:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
It only has 65k miles?!?! That's really damn low for a '92. Honestly, either keep it, or take it off his hands and sell it.

Your issue is probably the alternator. You can find one for roughly $100 and install this yourself. There is a DIY video on youtube on how to remove and install a 2JZ alternator if you've never done one before.

Ok, some of your other issues are very common. I bet 70% of us don't have working trunk struts or working antennas. And who the hell needs a tape deck lol. All SC seats have shown their age from the '90s.
yes i agree with everyone----buy this car forsure.

But Tabaka he is inquiring about a sc400 with a 1uz------ai dont believe a video on how to remove/install a 2jz alternator will help much.

good luck and keep us posted
Old 03-28-11, 02:38 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was alot of discussion here about electrical drains. Mine suffers the same thing but also sits a lot so I bought a trickle charger.

When you say it quickly drains, how long is "quickly"? I dont believe its the alternator but stranger things have happened, second question is how old is the battery? How many batteries have you gone through and does it require a jump to start it every time?
Old 03-29-11, 06:19 AM
ChaosHokie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maynanator
well since it's your dads car you'd probably know if he kept up with the maintenance aka timing belt water pump etc.
So, I called him about this, and he doesn't think he's ever replaced the timing belt or water pump.

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
There was alot of discussion here about electrical drains. Mine suffers the same thing but also sits a lot so I bought a trickle charger.

When you say it quickly drains, how long is "quickly"? I dont believe its the alternator but stranger things have happened, second question is how old is the battery? How many batteries have you gone through and does it require a jump to start it every time?
Quickly: if the car sits for 5 days, battery is dead as a doorknob. At that point, a jump is needed. The battery's been replaced/checked several times in the past few years.
Old 03-29-11, 07:49 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

I'd get it. Could be a fun car to tool around town in. Check the fuses maybe one of them is going bad. Also bring the car to an autoparts store and have them test the alternator while its running on the car.
Old 03-29-11, 08:09 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yes i agree with everyone----buy this car forsure.

But Tabaka he is inquiring about a sc400 with a 1uz------ai dont believe a video on how to remove/install a 2jz alternator will help much.

good luck and keep us posted
doh, yeah I missed that one lol. Well, maybe there is a vid?
Old 03-29-11, 09:45 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Would buy it, fix it, and mod it. After the maintenance has been done of course. Would NOT pass on this!

In for the pictures
Old 03-29-11, 10:10 AM
ChaosHokie
Driver School Candidate

I don't have access to the car as we don't live in the same area. I'm going to visit in a couple of weeks, so I'll post some pics and update the thread then.

Thanks for the advice!