SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

When upgrading your SC..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 06:04 AM
lex1220
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When upgrading your SC..

Last night I was talking with my car friends about modifying our cars and one of us decided to be the buzz kill and mention resale. When you guys who do it big with the SC's, do you ever think about resale? or do you just think about the fun the car has to offer. I guess what im trying to say does it ever eat at you that you will not get nearly as much as you put into the car back? I know this is the case with most cars when building them but do you feel like it's a loss in the wallet or a "damn those were good times"?
Old 03-31-11, 06:16 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

If you're concerned about resale value on the SC, then modding it not for you. Keep it stock.
Old 03-31-11, 06:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

resale , lol whats that..

once you build a sc right and start getting up into the 550 rwhp range and beyond , it becomes a keeper ..ask yourself this question , how many cars out there can be bought for 20k and deliver 600 rwhp and be a deadly hwy killer and replace a block in a weekend all for around 500 if anything happens..

these cars are keepers and the love a nicely put together sc gets is unreal.. i exp it every single day i drive it from women , teenagers older folks etc
Old 03-31-11, 06:26 AM
lex1220
Driver

OH no im keeping my SC, I was just wondering if anyone else ever feels this way? I love my car, just a matter of working out the bugs from the previous owner. I love idiots
Old 03-31-11, 06:38 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

At this point resale value isn't what it used to be, I paid $4,200 for my car and I think I can handle it if I don't see that money again. The cars I buy and modify are for my enjoyment and there is no thought about future resale since I don't plan on selling them. If resale was a primary concern I wouldn't have bought an SC in the first place, it will be a long time before the values start to increase if ever. The only SC models that still command a moderately high price are 98-00 SC 400s, and that is really only in the SC community as we known how rare those cars are.
Old 03-31-11, 06:43 AM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

I just keep dumping money into mine. I love the excitement I get when I rape other cars on the street. Matter of fact just placed an order for a GS400 diff(I killed mine). Sad thing is I just bought another 93 5spd slicktop car.
Old 03-31-11, 08:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 430 Likes on 354 Posts

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I guess if I sold my two sets of wheels, coilovers separately, and I kept my stereo system, I could still sell my car and get most of my money back. My SC is in relatively good shape and has low mileage, so I'm sure I could get at least 80% of it's original value back

Your best bet would be to never sell your SC or sell it to some rich kid that has no idea what they're really worth.
Old 03-31-11, 08:22 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

Your best bet would be to never sell your SC or sell it to some rich kid that has no idea what they're really worth.
Dont think someone rich would even look at our cars, maybe some who owned them new back in the day
Old 03-31-11, 08:33 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

had my sc for 5yrs and other than a stereo and tint I have not put any money into it, now the car is worth a third of what I paid for it but I feel like I have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I have been wrestling with the question for months on weather to mod the car the way I want or sell it cause i know I will lose any money I put into it. After much thought I decided I still love this car and it has never left me stranded so its on now! dropped it off this morn to have new exaust installed! deleting resonators,putting in x pipe and 2 magnaflows with 4" tips.
Old 03-31-11, 09:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
resale , lol whats that..
exactly!.....
Old 03-31-11, 09:44 AM
lex1220
Driver

Im just looking for everyones opinion because I remember commenting on another thread about what our next cars will be and it somewhat walks hand in hand with selling your current car depending on your situation. I love my sc, just seeing everyones take on the financial end of it all. Everyone thinks at some point "Am I spending to much?"
Old 03-31-11, 09:48 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

im like 15k in so i cant really change my mind now..
Old 03-31-11, 09:54 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

eff resale...im pretty sure everyone who bought a sc is gonna keep it because its a timeless vehicle literally. you can mod it too 500+ horsepower, drift or drag, or even leave it bone stock its aways gonna turn heads no matter what.

i will always keep my sc this is true love
Old 03-31-11, 09:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lex1220
Im just looking for everyones opinion because I remember commenting on another thread about what our next cars will be and it somewhat walks hand in hand with selling your current car depending on your situation. I love my sc, just seeing everyones take on the financial end of it all. Everyone thinks at some point "Am I spending to much?"
Do what you feel is best for you personally. Everyone's opinion will be their own which may not reflect your personal situation. In regards to spending too much for me personally if I did a lot of things right/different the first go round I would have saved some money but I'm happy with where I'm at with the car, E85 and tune and I'm in 7XX or even low 8XX hp range. I've considered selling my car or parting it out and building a NA MKIV but will see.
Old 03-31-11, 10:25 AM
lex1220
Driver

I agree about the SC being ageless. My 92 SC is far more luxurious and advanced than my 1998 Avalon XLS that I had and still offers promise of change at least from things I have observed. I would however LOVE to have that MPG of the Avalon back

Quick Reply: When upgrading your SC..