SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

did my ECU fry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 10:28 PM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did my ECU fry?

A buddy of mine was helping me install a new deck into a 92 sc300. Everything was going good, straightforward no complications Deck is wired and we powered it up to check the connections everything is clean this is probably our 1500th deck install but a first on this car. We are getting ready to wrap it up so im watching him put the center console cover piece back on and his hand slips, and then something shorts out and the dome light flickers.

...wtf...

i go and try to start the car, no start. All interior lights are super dim, headlights do not work, taillights do not work. Hazards only blink on one side of the car passenger side. I check all the fuses in the driver side kick panel and engine bay, all of them are ok.

Diagnosis, in some cases bad/old/damaged batteries tend to loose its charge quickly after a small short, iv seen this happen many times before. I am not entirely sure if this is the case. I am thinking of jumping the car to see if inadequate power is causing systems to be funky.
-or-
the short could have backfed into a major chipset or ECU and fried its components if this is the case does anyone know which one would be affected first?

Right now im going to see if i can jump the car while you guys keep this thread alive. If you have experienced this, please help.
Old 04-02-11, 11:00 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you disconnect the negative battery cable before you installed the deck?
Old 04-02-11, 11:45 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prolly a dead battery whats the voltage on it and first things first eliminate that by charging up the battery so it has enough juice to be sure it would start up
Old 04-03-11, 09:05 AM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Did you disconnect the negative battery cable before you installed the deck?
yes i did

Originally Posted by cbrasian
prolly a dead battery whats the voltage on it and first things first eliminate that by charging up the battery so it has enough juice to be sure it would start up
I did a slow deep cycle charge overnight on the battery. Grabbed the multi-meter and saw the batter is only putting out 8.4v. I'm 95% sure thats the culprit now. I was just worried that i had fried some electronics based on the way they were behaving. If not in any case i need to replace the battery still.
Old 04-03-11, 11:01 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the SC has a feature that when things are removed it cuts all power to the car so you cant steal it. this could be the problem

you have to reset it some how, its some weird combo with locking it, unlocking it with the remote or key, then like starting it 3 times or something

Look in your owneres manual
Old 04-03-11, 11:03 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ALso, it could have melted wires together, Check your harness for spliced wires.

Had this same kind of thing happen once, the truck would pop when i turn on my dome light, My windsheild wipers would come on when i opened the door, My nozzles would spray when i poped my gas door open. all kinds of weird things