SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

OK, lets ALL brainstorm and fix these damn gauge needles....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 12:20 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, lets ALL brainstorm and fix these damn gauge needles....

I see theres been a decent amount in the archives on suggestions....we need to fix these speedometer needles. It CANT be that hard.....can it? To fix them someway?
My Bimmer had orange dash lights and the needle was simply painted white and it was fine at night....so how hard can this be?
Old 08-29-02, 03:41 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I don't think you can fix the. I think there are 7 tiny bulbs on the big needle which lights up at night, lucky for me mine are still fine except one little bulb has a loose connection and sometimes works sometimes doesn't. The only way to fix them I think is to drop a lot of $$$ and buy a bunch of junk you don't need that comes w/ the big needles, I think you can buy the little needles seperate. If you are desperate look for a salvage SC and take the needles from there, if they work... maybe you can pick it up for cheap.
Old 08-29-02, 05:48 AM
ThE sQuArE
Driver School Candidate

Default INAPPROPRIATE WORDS ARE UNECCEPTABLE

Originally posted by mjr24
OK, lets ALL brainstorm and fix these damn gauge needles....
I think you shouldnt be so colorful with your words!

Instead of "damn" you could of said "darn" or "dang"!

Im offended!

Your not only on this site with people your age or with your background!

Be respectful.

Old 08-29-02, 09:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Default Re: INAPPROPRIATE WORDS ARE UNECCEPTABLE

Originally posted by ThE sQuArE

Im offended!

Be respectful.

Just to remind other Clublexus members of a cool feature (I don't often use this option), at the top of CL, select User CP

In the little white boxes there are several menu items - the sixth one over is 'Edit Ignore List'. This basically keeps you from having to waste your valuable time reading posts from people you don't want to or other CL members that have an ongoing agenda you don't agree with.

"You are the weakest shape, good-bye."
Old 08-29-02, 11:02 AM
eric150db
Driver School Candidate

If you go to http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/ they have a walk-through on how to do it. You need to take the whole board out and replace a transistor and a couple capacitors, thats it!
Old 08-29-02, 11:17 AM
IVIark
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: INAPPROPRIATE WORDS ARE UNECCEPTABLE

Originally posted by ThE sQuArE

Im offended!

Be respectful.

Were you joking or being serious? I am still new to the board but if people get THAT offended off of words like that, man I got to be careful. Sure we might have a few youngsters amoung the board, but if they have access to this board they also have access to the internet. If they have access to the internet they are going to see a lot more then the word "damn".

Mark
Old 08-29-02, 11:20 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn down the illumination as low as possible while they still work, and it is fine. You get used to it after about 30 minutes.
Old 08-29-02, 12:01 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

I remember a while back, someone here put white reflective tape over the needles and used small blue led's thus creating a "blue needle effect." I thought it looked real cool, I searched for that thread a while so I could post his pic, but I couldn't find it And there's nothing wrong w/ saying damn. This is what it says in the Forum Rules:

Profanity
Any profanity that cannot readily be heard on prime time network television will not be tolerated anywhere on the ClubLexus site.

There is no disrespect intended when using this word, & most people hear it all the time. So what's the big deal?!
Old 08-29-02, 01:02 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think anyone on who has (10) whole post on this site should be saying anything to anybody on this site about the word "damn". Get a life.
Old 08-29-02, 01:36 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Dang! There sure are a heck of a lot of friggin touchy people out there! Sheesh! Darn crazy mother truckers.
Old 08-29-02, 02:35 PM
hwallen172
Driver

I haven't disassembled a gauge assembly personally so if someone could verify my assumptions, that would help a lot. I assume the needles will pull off from the gauges and that there are two contacts in the base of the needles that supply them with standard DC power. If that's the case, I may be able to help with the illumination part.

Here's what I'm thinking: take a busted needle and use a Dremel to route out the illuminated part. Find the electrical connections and solder in a small LED, probably a surface mount device. Naturally, you'll need a step down resistor. Point the LED down the routed out portion of the needle from the base, and epoxy in either a translucent piece of plastic or a clear piece of plastic that you've made notches in. Personally, I'm going to experiment with the notches.

Anyway, I don't have a Dremel so if anyone wants to hold up the mechanical end of this project, I'll do the wiring.

As an afterthought, if the plastic strip in the needle will come out in one piece, don't route it, and you may be able to use the plastic strip.
Old 08-29-02, 04:13 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I gotta Dremel...

...but I'm all the way in LA. Maybe someone more local will step up. If not, and you don't mind mailing the needle out here, I'll be glad to route it out for you.

My needles are fine (knock on wood), or I'd offer to try it out on my own set.

Dremels are kinda pricey, but the clones aren't- this is the one I got on eBay for $20:
Attached Thumbnails OK, lets ALL brainstorm and fix these damn gauge needles....-dremel.jpg  
Old 08-29-02, 06:36 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I pulled my gauge cluster about 3 months ago. It's pretty easy. The Lexus dealer here told me they can get me the Gas and Temp gauges for around $100 a piece. They're just attached with clips. Sadly, if your speedo or tach are out, you gotta buy the whole cluster. about $575.
Old 08-29-02, 10:07 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I was treated to a light show on my dash tonight. Apparently the RPM and MPH needles...parts of them keep flickering...and sometimes even a whole section will light up! I guess I COULD pray and hope maybe its just a bad connection....but thats wishful thinking.
Old 08-29-02, 10:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Ah, but it IS a bad connection....!

I mean, if it lights up intermittently, what else could it be?

It can't be burnt out, or it would never light up or flicker in the first place. So it's a bad connection, hopefully on the "2 contacts" area hwallen172 refers to, or more likely (and more unsalvagable) in the actual red area.

Like I said, my gauge needles work fine, so I don't know how they look when burnt out, but I'm suprised that just painting that red area with very reflective white paint is not a satisfying fix, like on your BMW.

By the way, I recall a post (too lazy to search for it now) where it was mentioned that the small gauge needles will fit in the socket for the large ones. Not the best "fix", but certainly one of the more affordable.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 08-30-02 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: OK, lets ALL brainstorm and fix these damn gauge needles....