SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

neutral safety switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 04:00 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral safety switch issue

I recently had the conversion on my sc400 completed, adding a 5spd w58 tranny to the 1uz v8 motor. A few weeks later after checking the engine bay & wires I notice I'm missing the neutral safety switch connector. Instead there are only two wires inserted there. So I assume this was part of the conversion process & didnt think much of it until one day those wires fell out of place & the car would not start. So after putting them back in place I decided I needed to buy a connector of some sort or the actual neutral safety switch connector in order to prevent this from happening again when im on the road. So I contacted the Lexus dealer to order this part since my local auto parts store did not carry them. Whats strange is the dealer is telling me they require a serial# in order for them to place the order. They say this serial# should be on the actual connector itself & is a 5 digit number. And I can use a serial# from any SC400. I would look in junkyards but finding SC's in yards here is like one in a million . So if anyone has a serial# for the neutral safety switch connector or have any other suggestion on this let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Mr1uz; 04-07-11 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 11:25 AM
Whoareu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you just cut the clip off and solder the wires together
Old 04-06-11, 05:02 PM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Whoareu
why dont you just cut the clip off and solder the wires together
That is a very good suggestion! But I wish I had the tools necessary & craftsmanship to do that. I will keep that in mind and see if I can find someone who maybe able to do that. Thanks
Old 04-06-11, 07:54 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr1uz
That is a very good suggestion! But I wish I had the tools necessary & craftsmanship to do that. I will keep that in mind and see if I can find someone who maybe able to do that. Thanks
you just did a 5 speed swap, soldering will be cake to you, just youtube it a solder gun and solder and heatshrink will cost like $10 and 10 minutes to do
Old 04-07-11, 12:07 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more importantly! how do you like the 5 speed toyota v8? since other w58 sc400 never comment on how it drives maybe you will?

ive always wanted to know what gears it chirps or does it spin tires? i know 200 horses isnt a lot but i have no idea how it'd feel in our boats with a 5 speed. as ive only been in my auto 400
Old 04-07-11, 12:18 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Uhm, thread jack much?

Anyways, please do the write up on the switch! I'll be attempting this in coupla weeks
Old 04-07-11, 02:08 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chnk
you just did a 5 speed swap, soldering will be cake to you, just youtube it a solder gun and solder and heatshrink will cost like $10 and 10 minutes to do
I actually took it to a performance shop to have the 5speed swap done. But I will check youtube for instructions on this
Old 04-07-11, 02:22 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
more importantly! how do you like the 5 speed toyota v8? since other w58 sc400 never comment on how it drives maybe you will?

ive always wanted to know what gears it chirps or does it spin tires? i know 200 horses isnt a lot but i have no idea how it'd feel in our boats with a 5 speed. as ive only been in my auto 400
The car drives lovely! No doubt! It has alot of torque and very decent power! The first gen motors actually come with 250 HP. I actually have to do other work to the car because the previous owner had it in such bad shape. So I havent really pushed it yet. Once I upgrade my suspension, tires, change my spark plug wires, & possibly change some sensors, it will be Perfect!

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Uhm, thread jack much?
Anyways, please do the write up on the switch! I'll be attempting this in coupla weeks
You plan to do a 5speed swap as well??

Last edited by Mr1uz; 04-07-11 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 07:31 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cut the wires out of the clip and either buy a $10 soldering iron and solder/heat-shrink the wires or use some crimp connectors if you must. I also placed a toggle switch inline on one of the wires so that I could switch the NSS bridge off while cruising and use cruise control still (run the wiring to the switch inside of the cabin through the existing transmission tunnel hole where the automatic shifter used to protrude). Don't buy that connector because it's useless. It's for the automatic transmission. If anything you should buy connector that goes to the vehicle that your W58 came out of for the reverse signal so that you can cut the reverse signal wires out of that same connector you currently have the NSS wires going to, wire them into the new connector and then plug that into your W58's reverse signal connector. Then you will also have reverse lights and the little reverse light in your dash will light up.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 04-07-11 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 07:01 PM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Just cut the wires out of the clip and either buy a $10 soldering iron and solder/heat-shrink the wires or use some crimp connectors if you must. I also placed a toggle switch inline on one of the wires so that I could switch the NSS bridge off while cruising and use cruise control still (run the wiring to the switch inside of the cabin through the existing transmission tunnel hole where the automatic shifter used to protrude). Don't buy that connector because it's useless. It's for the automatic transmission. If anything you should buy connector that goes to the vehicle that your W58 came out of for the reverse signal so that you can cut the reverse signal wires out of that same connector you currently have the NSS wires going to, wire them into the new connector and then plug that into your W58's reverse signal connector. Then you will also have reverse lights and the little reverse light in your dash will light up.

Thanks alot for this valuable information! I really appreciate it. You save me money on having to buy that connector. This means alot man! I will definitely give the soldering iron a try after watching some quick tutorials on it since it will be my first time attempting this . And oh yeah the mechanics got the reverse light working like a charming and did some rewiring to make it possible. Thanks for the info on that as well
Old 04-07-11, 08:05 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Yeah i will hopefully be doing the 5spd swap during spring break. Also depending on my schedule.

Not sure if 3 days is enough time to work it out. Then again i have never done it before.
Old 04-08-11, 03:20 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Yeah i will hopefully be doing the 5spd swap during spring break. Also depending on my schedule.

Not sure if 3 days is enough time to work it out. Then again i have never done it before.

I believe 3 days should definitely be more than enough time especially if you have someone helping you out. My mechanic had this done in like two days. Only thing that delayed the process was waiting on parts. You doing a 5spd swap on a 2jz motor ??