SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 01:53 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
You finally broke down and bought one, huh? I ended up with a fairly high end Kenwood Double DIN, but man does the screen glare and slow boot-up drive me crazy. (I wasn't willing to take the plunge on something without a volume **** at the very least.) I knew ahead of time it was slow, with reviews saying 18 seconds is to be expected, but you don't realize just how painfully long that is until you're backed down the driveway and halfway down the street before it's powered up. Makes the backup camera sorta useless.

You're spot on with the industry needing to wake up and realize that some features can wait and others need to be instant-on. That's asking a lot, though, when the emphasis is on features and usability takes a distant back seat.
I've made my decision but I haven't picked one up just yet. I've been entirely focused on my engine swap Lately though I've noticed my original OEM head unit can take some time to turn on when the car has been sitting in cold weather overnight. I figure that's enough to convince me that it's finally time to go aftermarket.

I agree with you about the boot time of some 2-DIN head units. And I do not at all feel it is a lot to ask at all for some functions of a center display/stereo/multifunction system to be instant-on. Not when it's fairly obvious that every touchscreen design doesn't have to be a single small Intel or ARM CPU slow booting into a heavy GUI. I'm very underwhelmed when I have gone into a stereo shop to test any display head units. I'd prefer something mostly instant-on with AM/FM/Aux-In/CarPlay/Garmin Navigation and the ability to custom display sensor or gauge input layouts and... (for those to whom it might apply)... OBD2 scanning/readout functions. Oh, and the ability to custom wire in and custom map external dials or switches so that I don't have to divert my attention to the screen for 100% of the function... rather only for 70% of the function. Oh, and the graphics shouldn't look gaudy. It should be possible to have clean and simple graphics, dare I suggest in a 16-bit scheme for the sake of simplicity. The Z30 Soarer EMV displays are a good example of where to start over to even though their 8-bit graphics are probably a tad dated. Still... I love clean function over snazzy presentation.

I'm not going to hold out hope for anything like that, however

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-31-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 02:54 AM
JosephSeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone own the Kenwood DDX9703S head unit?
It's the highest rated Kenwood Double DIN on Amazon and many car audio system sites, so I'm interested if anyone owns it.
Reviews say it has an annoying pop-up when you start it, but other than that (well and the price) it seems like the best choice.
What do you guys think?
Thanks