SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trans mount holy crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 04:24 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the road 8 hours a day making service calls. Normally whenever I make a certain set of rounds putt putting it I go through an average of a quarter tank of gas. The same rounds afterwards I didn't even go through an eighth and I was at wide open throttle 50% of the time lol
Old 04-16-11, 10:24 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered mine.
Old 04-16-11, 10:29 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trans mount is OK but both front mounts split into two. Car drives alot better but not as soft as before cause I went with the DM mounts.
Old 04-16-11, 10:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I just did my trans mount the other day and it made a real difference although the old one looked fine you could pry up on it and see where the rubber was torn pretty good.
Old 04-16-11, 11:28 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I guess I should change mine. My car doesn't shift that smoothly so maybe it'll help.
Old 04-16-11, 11:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yup^^ Mine made all the difference in the world in the shift quality!
Old 04-16-11, 02:15 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Well it makes sence. Most people report a new mount raising their shifter quarter of an inch or so. If your mount is worn down so much as to throw off the alignment of the entire drivetrain then a simple new mount would probably fix a lot of issues..
Old 04-16-11, 02:16 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

At how many miles did u change the transmission mount at?
Old 04-16-11, 02:23 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

My chasis was at 188k, the motor and transmission are SUPPOSEDLY at 100k (but you know how previous owners are).

Mine were sagging bad - they were completely useless.

I did change the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 today just to see if any more differences came along, but nothing (but of course, there's twice as many quarts in the TQ and hidden in the system that you can't get to with just a drain/filter/fill.
Old 04-16-11, 02:57 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
My chasis was at 188k, the motor and transmission are SUPPOSEDLY at 100k (but you know how previous owners are).

Mine were sagging bad - they were completely useless.

I did change the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 today just to see if any more differences came along, but nothing (but of course, there's twice as many quarts in the TQ and hidden in the system that you can't get to with just a drain/filter/fill.
Ugh I hope you don't drive to long on that fluid because your trans will prolly not make it many more miles. Use only oem fluid in a Toyota trans!!

I am just trying to save you from transmission troubles.
Old 04-16-11, 03:00 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

I was blaming all sorts of things on a slight vibration when I did my 5 spd swap. I took out the tranny and had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced...no change. Played with driveshaft carrier shims, no change. I even put new bearings in the tranny...no change. I finally changed the tranny mount and bingo, no vibration, transmission was now quiet(no whine). An amazing transformation. My car has only 35,000 miles but the tranny mount that came with the W58 had unknown milage.
BTW I can now take out the tranny in about an hour and a bit, from wheels on the ground to wheels on the ground.
Old 04-16-11, 03:01 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup did mine a few weeks ago.. lca bushings are next!
Old 04-16-11, 03:25 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Ugh I hope you don't drive to long on that fluid because your trans will prolly not make it many more miles. Use only oem fluid in a Toyota trans!!

I am just trying to save you from transmission troubles.
Transmission Fluid is Transmission Fluid. If they are certified to go together with our fluid type then I have no problem switching.

The only genuine fluid in my car is coolant, and even then, it's because I didn't want to risk mixing it.

Mobil 1 is in everything from the Motor to the Differential and I've had 0 problems.

I do appreciate the concern, and if for some reason my transmission mysteriously destroys it self over the next month then I'll gladly let everyone know (as I'll just take it down the road and get it rebuilt - no big deal).
Old 04-16-11, 07:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Well I hate to be the one to say this but trans fluid is not trans fluid when it comes to toyota transmissions as they have special friction modifiers in it for a very good reason.....

"The transmission uses Toyota Type T4 Fluid.
The reason the TT A340 uses TIV is because those trans' have flex lockup and "intelligence" control. The "i" means the ECM monitors input and output shaft timing to maintain constant shift speed over its life. The ECM's control calibration is matched to the TIV's fluid's friction coefficient and temperature characteristics. Any Toyota transmission with flex lockup (duty cycles linear solenoid at low speed and load) uses that fluid. Otherwise dexron III is used. The clutches and seals are the same. Using dexron in a TIV trans could cause shift flare, shock or lockup shudder. The Toyota stuff is very high quality (mineral based) and really not that inexpensive. There really isn't a "universal fluid". Using that train of that would be like saying all spark plugs are the same. "

They are talking about a tt trans but the same applies to your transmission as they are very close to the same transmission.
Old 04-16-11, 07:30 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Xspsi after rebuilding MANY transmissions personally and with my step fathers shop I can promise you that the multi-qualified/certified fluid on the shelf that is aimed towards our certifications will work just fine.

Do you honestly think TOYOTA makes their own in house fluid specially made for an electronic controlled transmission? The last car I had was a FWD new galant with 50k miles on it with a self-learning intelligent transmission and I used mobil 1 in it. The guy I sold it to is at 143k with no issues what so ever and I hot lapped the hell out of the car.

Not trying to start a pissing match just don't want to see people waste money on generic Toyota fluid as the service manager him self said

Quick Reply: Trans mount holy crap