SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 08:04 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Wow! I like how clean the painted parts came out...It makes me wonder why most SC owners who want a black interior just do this is a much cheaper alternative? Now I wonder, does SEM paint eventually start to peel and flake off?
tuterz said his didnt peel or flake off so this shoudlnt flake off i was driving with my driver seat and rear seats on and no problems with it so far!
Old 04-20-11, 08:07 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
The hard plastic pieces have to be stripped down with sandpaper (wet/dry) and primed then painted with flexible automotive paint.

To the OP, did you guys use an adhesion promoter before you painted those pieces, if so you shouldn't have any problems with the paint peeling. And to get deep color penetration for the carpet you have to soak it in black dye over night.
the oh **** handles i just used rubbing alcohol and sprayed it and it still looks OEM black, and we only had carpet cleaner a good brand my grampa told me.
Old 04-20-11, 08:17 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

man i really dont like to be negative so please forgive me once again.

Your seats looked to be in great condition already ---this is SEM gone way too far.

SEm is fine for changing or fixing up some pieces here and there but to do your wholwe interior ---man its just too much.

Now you have a car with a un-original color and seats that have been painted basically.

You are going to have a very tough time selling this car----

The value of it has dropped significantly in my opinion.

Im sorry but this is not how I like to see SC's treated, you have sort of butchered this car.
Old 04-20-11, 08:20 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
man i really dont like to be negative so please forgive me once again.

Your seats looked to be in great condition already ---this is SEM gone way too far.

SEm is fine for changing or fixing up some pieces here and there but to do your wholwe interior ---man its just too much.

Now you have a car with a un-original color and seats that have been painted basically.

You are going to have a very tough time selling this car----

The value of it has dropped significantly in my opinion.

Im sorry but this is not how I like to see SC's treated.
this is a project i never said anythign about selling the car, i enjoy this car alot and i dont midn teh negative feed back, thats how life is, thanks for your feed back...
Old 04-20-11, 08:22 AM
tpham86
Pole Position

you ripped all that out, but not the dash?
Old 04-20-11, 08:25 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tpham86
you ripped all that out, but not the dash?
dash is last....
Old 04-20-11, 08:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TuanLegend
this is a project i never said anythign about selling the car, i enjoy this car alot and i dont midn teh negative feed back, thats how life is, thanks for your feed back...
if your plans are to keep the car indefinitely than it doesnt really matter I guess.

Again im not ussually a negative guy or a hater in any way shape or form---but i think you have done more harm than good.

The positive is your learning alot im sure with the paint job and this.

Good luck and i hope for your sake that this SEM stuff doesnt peel or crack.

My guess is it does but i hope im wrong.
Old 04-20-11, 08:50 AM
samc
Driver School Candidate

wow major props.
Old 04-20-11, 08:53 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by samc
wow major props.
thanks for teh feedback
Old 04-20-11, 08:58 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
if your plans are to keep the car indefinitely than it doesnt really matter I guess.

Again im not ussually a negative guy or a hater in any way shape or form---but i think you have done more harm than good.

The positive is your learning alot im sure with the paint job and this.

Good luck and i hope for your sake that this SEM stuff doesnt peel or crack.

My guess is it does but i hope im wrong.
I'm kinda with you on this one. No offense OP, but seats an carpet should always either by professionally dyed / painted, or bought from a vechicle with the color of your choice. They make special prep cleaner for vinyl to be painted, and it doesn't look like you used it from some of the pics that clearly show where adhesion isn't uniform, looks kinda like larger versions of chearcoat fisheye. For future projects / reference you should go even thinner on the coats, basically, they should dust the intended surface, and never, ever, start and stop spray strokes mid-panel / seat, that's why the middle of your back seat has dark / uneven shine spots. There are tons of youtube vids on how to paint with spray-paint, use those as an fyi. Not unlike car paint, you must start the spray BEFORE the intended target, then spray at an even pace and distance through the target then deflect away from the target. Dash and trim pieces are ok to SEM mostly because they don't flex or see much contact, seats on the other hand, well, you'll see. Also, always separate trim at seams, such as the back pieces of your front seats, because the tan is showing. Again, not to offend, I've done this before and it turned out really nice, even the seats until about 2 months later, ended up buying seats that were black....Lucky it was my Mark VIII that were plentiful at Pick-N-Pull for black seats. Good luck, and be on the lookout for black seats on the classified section, and be prepared to jump on a good deal. If you wish to repair some of that Fish-eye look especially on that center console, lightly sand with some 1000 grit, then re-shoot it.
Old 04-20-11, 09:02 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes i think the SEM probably is ideal for plastic trim and console pieces but im worried the seats will start to flake and peel off shortly.

Im quite sure they will but hopefully for the op's sake i am wrong.
Old 04-20-11, 09:28 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you did alot of work brother. Can't lie when I saw the pics of the seats getting painted along with the carpet I kinda cringed but it seems to be coming out ok. Keep up the good work and post pics when you do the dash!
Old 04-20-11, 10:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

The interior is looking good so far. It looks OEM. I'd be a little worried about the seats and carpet, but they look fine. Keep us updated on how they hold up.

That's a nice Supra! Is it a TT? I saw that you had TT wheels, but a lot of NA guys have them too.
Old 04-20-11, 02:16 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
The interior is looking good so far. It looks OEM. I'd be a little worried about the seats and carpet, but they look fine. Keep us updated on how they hold up.

That's a nice Supra! Is it a TT? I saw that you had TT wheels, but a lot of NA guys have them too.
used to be NA, 1st owner swaped out and put a GTE in with a v160 T67 single
i dont drive it much no insurance on it. so it just sits there to be pretty but ill drive it soon
Old 04-20-11, 02:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to chime in.. I just redid all of my interior with SEM, for the third and final time. Not due to chipping or flaking, but finally getting all the right pieces and spraying together.
I noticed you used the vinyl, carpet, plastic paint on all of the leather pieces. Did anyone else recognize this? They do make a SEM leather paint, that flex more and gives more than the stuff you used. I am by NO means bashing you, just letting you know that there is different type of SEM products for different materials.
I also noticed you sprayed some heavy, heavy thick coats. SEM does better when there is no rain or moisture in the air, and at 70-80 degrees. Spray lighter thin coats, and see if there is any difference in the look. The fish eye means that you didnt sand enough or you left some sort of dirt, grease, grime, armor all etc on the product.
Overall very good effort. let us know how it goes.. Looking forward to more pictures, and thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project