SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 03:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

the only way to justify this sort of thing is if the leather was in very poor shape and you dont have the money or desire to get new interior.

To do it just to change the color should not be encouraged.
Old 04-20-11, 03:21 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
the only way to justify this sort of thing is if the leather was in very poor shape and you dont have the money or desire to get new interior.

To do it just to change the color should not be encouraged.

I have to disagree with you on this one. NO offense! I have been completely satisfied with mine. The hardest part was finding the normal cracked or worn pieces that are NOT that way. Like the console, center vent, armrest, doors broken by speakers, tabs, upper trim cracked, etc. I am totally satisfied with mine. I would recommend doing this for a normal change or if your parts are worn. It doesnt matter. It will NOT come off onto your clothing if you do your seats. The most important part is prep...PERIOD.. The SEM paint will do the rest if applied and prepped correctly.

I guess I am going to have to photoshoot my interior tomorrow, just to prove it! Since I havent posted it since it has completed.

Look for it tomorrow if the weather here is nice!
Old 04-20-11, 05:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I have to disagree with you on this one. NO offense! I have been completely satisfied with mine. The hardest part was finding the normal cracked or worn pieces that are NOT that way. Like the console, center vent, armrest, doors broken by speakers, tabs, upper trim cracked, etc. I am totally satisfied with mine. I would recommend doing this for a normal change or if your parts are worn. It doesnt matter. It will NOT come off onto your clothing if you do your seats. The most important part is prep...PERIOD.. The SEM paint will do the rest if applied and prepped correctly.

I guess I am going to have to photoshoot my interior tomorrow, just to prove it! Since I havent posted it since it has completed.

Look for it tomorrow if the weather here is nice!
I really dont have an agenda here so if you are saying this stuff can hold up to the test of time than i will retract my previous opinion.

But until I see it for myself or hear from some more people that have done it I still think this stuff will eventually(few months possibly weeks) of normal use and wear and tear start to show signs of deterioration.

i find it hard to believe this product is that good-----if i am wrong i stand corrected but i will need to talk to some others who have done this as well.

Thanks and i wish him and you the best with your color changes. Hopefull you guys can post some pics in a few months and give us an honest evaluation of the product.
Old 04-20-11, 06:30 PM
Blurr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks good. SEM is pretty tough. Just like mine except for the carpet. On mine, I did a combo of Ritz and SEM. For the headliner, SEM all the way.
Old 04-20-11, 07:14 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Holy Moly

10char
Old 04-20-11, 07:37 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

about to post pictures up... the auto part store ran out of SEM paint... till wednesday then im repainting the door panels and dash.
Old 04-20-11, 08:35 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

A couple things you lose when doing a total interior dye (really just paint) is durability, OEM differeneces in finish on different pieces, the feel isn't quite as soft / smooth, and that wonderful Lexus Smell. I am not bashing here at all, so please don't take un-due offense anyone, those are just things for people who saw this thread and think it's the weekend project for them to think about before shaking that can and giving the interior a squirt. When done correctly (prep and technique is EVERYTHING) it can look very good, and stand up pretty decently. Just know, there are always drawbacks, and you can't go back once you start.
Old 04-20-11, 09:16 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

big props to you for your effort on this project some of us may not agree with your methods but your effort must be acknowledge other than that kudos and wht ever you do keep up on your seats with leather conditioner to keep that paint soft if you have no plans of ever doing true blk leather seats....because i have never seen any dye that will hold up on seats and ive seen all of them and you gotta remember the leather itself doesnt even hold up to the test of time....other than that get those pics up of the finish product
Old 04-20-11, 09:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

What kind of spray did you guys use?

I remember I once had an interior repair guy "dye" some parts on my mom's older car... mainly the steering wheel and shifter that was notorious to peeling on the older 2000+ Toyota Avalons. Well, the guy did a great job, and it looked brand new, but the spray he used ended up being sticky and didn't hold up to use AT ALL. A simple interior wipe down took most of it off and the remaining dye looked like crap so I just wiped everything off.

Is this better paint? Where can you buy it?

Also, did you fellas deep clean (or use a hot water extractor) on the carpeting before dying? If you have ever cleaned interiors, you would be stunned how much dirt you could pull off from even the cleanest interiors. Just a thought.
Old 04-20-11, 09:35 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Damn man looking good for as short a period of time you have been working on it. I need to redo some of my interior to freshen up the black interior I have. Looks good though.
Old 04-20-11, 11:27 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

well for the looks of it i might look for new carpet interior MAYBE depends, and seats, im lookign for some MK4 supra seats. but these seats will do it looks great.

Last edited by TuanLegend; 04-20-11 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-21-11, 02:18 PM
chashiubow
Pole Position

Nice turn out.
Old 04-21-11, 02:23 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Dude when that car gets hot that paint will be all over your skin and clothes. I have seen so many people try this and I have myself. Looks good but you should get dye for that. Atleast for the seats and stuff the backseat and stuff in the rear is whatever.
Old 04-21-11, 07:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
Dude when that car gets hot that paint will be all over your skin and clothes. I have seen so many people try this and I have myself. Looks good but you should get dye for that. Atleast for the seats and stuff the backseat and stuff in the rear is whatever.
I hope for his sake your wrong.

but something tells me your probably right.
Old 04-21-11, 08:53 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

actually i used this on my car.. its been there for almost 2 years.. and hasnt came off.. a few people on here can vouch for me.. they have seen it.. looks great and still no peeling.. and never onces got on my clothes even in 110 degree weather.. looks very good tuan!

Quick Reply: Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project