SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 10:13 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpham86
so.. youre doing all that and putting it back together... then what? tape off and spray your dash? LOL.
yeah im afraid so this is my DD car, and i dont have any other car to drive my Supra doesnt have insurance so not taking that risk lol but i should be finsihign itup this weekend, Tuterz has done it with the dash on and he said it hasnt chiped or anything. so its worht a shot.
Old 04-28-11, 06:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

tuan looks good i hope it all holds up well

good luck

thanks for sharing
Old 04-28-11, 06:16 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
tuan looks good i hope it all holds up well

good luck

thanks for sharing
thanks *****
Old 04-28-11, 09:37 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

I tried something like this back on my first car (98 Corolla). I too wanted a black interior, but didn't want to spend the money for actual parts. I forgot the name of the paint I used (might have been SEM). Regardless, it claimed it was designed for automotive plastics. I actually only did one panel at first to test the quality. THANK GOD I did that. Needless to say, the paint flaked off like an "uh oh, I got Maaco" job. You could actually scratch the paint off with your fingernails, regardless of how many or how few coats I used. Since then, I've vowed never to repaint an interior again.

The problem with any spray paint is that its just a cover. You can put 50 coats of paint on, but it will never mimic the real thing. When automakers paint something from the factory, the paint is baked on at high temperatures. That process fuses the color permanently with the plastic, metal, leather, etc. Re-paint coats don't fuse no matter how much the spray can tells you it does. Therefore, they can, and eventually will, flake off. At $5 a can, SEM knows you're not going to sue them so they'll tell you whatever they need to sell the product.

My advise, stay as far away from spray paints as possible. They're good for household and industrial applications, not automotive applications. If you're really dead-set on changing your interior color, suck it up and fork over the $1000+ for the real deal.
Old 04-28-11, 09:16 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TuanLegend
yeah im afraid so this is my DD car, and i dont have any other car to drive my Supra doesnt have insurance so not taking that risk lol but i should be finsihign itup this weekend, Tuterz has done it with the dash on and he said it hasnt chiped or anything. so its worht a shot.
Honestly, I think its impossible for it to look "nice" without taking the entire dash out. I removed mine and it was hard getting paint to fully cover the defrost vents, even with it off. I am a perfectionist so knowing that there are cracks and edges that are still brown would drive me crazy. It wasnt that much harder to pull the dash out. IMHO If youre going to spend that much time working on something, I wouldnt half *** the biggest portion of it.

Anyways, if you have any SEM left over, ill buy them off of ya.
Old 04-29-11, 01:35 PM
BTsunami
Rookie

Great job I wish I had friends who would be willing to take this venture with me. I'm going to look into that, I saw an sc with red interior I was really interested in. Ciao
Old 04-29-11, 03:21 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
I tried something like this back on my first car (98 Corolla). I too wanted a black interior, but didn't want to spend the money for actual parts. I forgot the name of the paint I used (might have been SEM). Regardless, it claimed it was designed for automotive plastics. I actually only did one panel at first to test the quality. THANK GOD I did that. Needless to say, the paint flaked off like an "uh oh, I got Maaco" job. You could actually scratch the paint off with your fingernails, regardless of how many or how few coats I used. Since then, I've vowed never to repaint an interior again.

The problem with any spray paint is that its just a cover. You can put 50 coats of paint on, but it will never mimic the real thing. When automakers paint something from the factory, the paint is baked on at high temperatures. That process fuses the color permanently with the plastic, metal, leather, etc. Re-paint coats don't fuse no matter how much the spray can tells you it does. Therefore, they can, and eventually will, flake off. At $5 a can, SEM knows you're not going to sue them so they'll tell you whatever they need to sell the product.

My advise, stay as far away from spray paints as possible. They're good for household and industrial applications, not automotive applications. If you're really dead-set on changing your interior color, suck it up and fork over the $1000+ for the real deal.
I too have used a Krylon product for painting vinyl and it came out terrible. SEM is completely different and I have seen a SEM painted MR2 interior still look new after 2 years. Your assumptions do not match with reality.
Old 05-03-11, 09:55 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

UPDATE: Day IV on Project

well not exactly day four but you guys should know what im talking about...
i worked on the dash without removing it because i couldnt get a ride home so i have to use
my car to drive home.. but it looks legit to me.. rushing a project like this is crazy... especially when PROM is Two days away.... im rebuffing my car agian to make it 10000x shiny which has been going great... only the rear panels and the top is left to buff out...
heres some pics...

176. Just for lulz....

177. took door panel off....

178. Panel...

179. taping off the wood trim...

180. redoign the dials.

181. taped and wiating for the tint...

182. Panel almost done..

183. Steven Showing Off..

184. Upper door panel..

185. 1st Coat..

186. 2nd Coat..

187. 3rd Coat...

188. Getting the wood trim...

189. Messed up...

190. Wiping it off.... Overspray..../drips...

191. Me with the Finished Product..

192. Agian...

193. Putting it back on...

heres some pics from before...

194. Before a meet just took pics..

195. agian..

on the wood grain on the dash was a pain spraying... wiped off the drips and over spray...
more touch ups to do on the passenger side panel.... and driver side is tomorrow!........ Two Days till Prom....... Whoot...
Old 05-05-11, 11:22 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

196. My Mk4. lol

197. Woodgrain...

198. took the panel off.

199. Taped the thing.

200. The Panel

201. upper Panel

202. My Inner Black Interior...

203. 1st Coat..

204. 2nd Coat.

205. Other....

206. Upper Panel 1-2 Coat

207. Wood Grain.. Tinted

208. Wood Grain Agian

209. Woodgrain for the seat or w/e thing..

210. Door Panel.

211. RSP.

212. Finished....
Old 05-06-11, 07:27 PM
KevinE.
Driver School Candidate

Tuan how did you remove the lines from your headlight housings
Old 05-06-11, 09:51 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevinE.
Tuan how did you remove the lines from your headlight housings
i had the ebay ones and retrofitted the headlights.
Old 05-06-11, 11:28 PM
logan3xxx
Driver School Candidate

omg !! why everybody wants black interiors?? :O
Old 05-07-11, 02:12 AM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by logan3xxx
omg !! why everybody wants black interiors?? :O
looks more sporty.
Old 05-07-11, 04:07 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

eeeekkk!!! ballsy man. i dream of black in my sc. but not enough to do this. props for the effort but i think you needed more prep work to get it right. i see a lot of flaws and if i see them in the pic i know they look worse in person. the other guy that did this mentioned the crack filler for the leather. his seats do look cleaner. no offense man. it just wreaks of rice. i wont lie i did spray my seats in my first accord and rit dyed them and sprayed them and dyed them and they never came out black those were cloth though. 20 cans of sem at 10 bucks a pop if your getting that price is a cheap fix but why own a lexus if you want cheap? for my money i would buy oem black parts a piece at a time until she looked stock. again not bashing your work jmho. also why spray the vinyl trim vinyl is inexpensive and re wrapping stuff wouldn't be too much more work then this. i would re wrap every part i could and purchase black oem for the rest.
Old 05-07-11, 10:20 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

so i am working on glassing my back dash today. and it will be covered with black vinyl. i picked the vinyl at hobby lobby they stock it regularly. best part it is real cheap. 1 yard X 56" was 7 dollars. more then enough to do my rear dash board and probably my door handel's. not a bad looking vinyl either.

Quick Reply: Tan To Black Interior Spring Break Project