SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Installed ls400 bbk and now has a low speed noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 08:19 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed ls400 bbk and now has a low speed noise?

New rotors and pads along with stainless brake lines etc now I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out this noise which you can sort of feel it in the pedal at speeds lower than about 10mph.

I put new shims in as well so everything was done properly and the worse part is I do this for a living and this needless to say has me stumped

Here is a description of the noise...
At speeds below 10 mph right as the car is coming to a complete stop it has a vibration sort of which could almost be called a grind but I have had the wheels off 4 times trying to get exactly what was going on and everything is looking as it should.
Stopping power is as it should be so decrease in performance, I would almost describe it as if the rotors had oil on them which btw I used brake cleaner to get the shipping oil off so imagine a slight skipping vibration and low low speeds kind of like when you are in traffic that is almost at a dead stand still and you are just letting a little pressure off the brakes and it makes a noise at all 4 corners as the car creeps forward.

Any input is welcome

Thanks
Old 04-20-11, 09:09 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Have you properly seated or broken in the brakes?
First, 60 - 5, three to four times.
Then, 35 - 5, five to seven times.
Once you've completed the cycles, drive around to let the brakes cool off. Try not to come to a complete stop while going through the cycles. Complete stops may imprint friction material from the pad to the rotor.

Sounds like you've done everything properly so can't I pin-point the exact problem. I'm thinking the brakes just haven't quite seated properly yet; since you've replaced all four corners, the sound and vibration is multiplied as the pad and rotor forming the contact pattern.
Old 04-20-11, 09:13 PM
Gimpster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your caliper bolt to rotor clearance. When I did my LS400 BBK one bolt was just baaaaaaarely wiping the rotor. I spaced them all off with a 3mm-ish washer and all is well.
Old 04-20-11, 09:19 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bracket bolts never touched... but my rotors are hot spotted in a few spots and make a similar noise. are the rotors new or were they used?
Old 04-20-11, 09:27 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SChema
Have you properly seated or broken in the brakes?
First, 60 - 5, three to four times.
Then, 35 - 5, five to seven times.
Once you've completed the cycles, drive around to let the brakes cool off. Try not to come to a complete stop while going through the cycles. Complete stops may imprint friction material from the pad to the rotor.

Sounds like you've done everything properly so can't I pin-point the exact problem. I'm thinking the brakes just haven't quite seated properly yet; since you've replaced all four corners, the sound and vibration is multiplied as the pad and rotor forming the contact pattern.
Yes I did that although I forgot to mention it in the above post.
I think you may be on to something but I have installed hundreds of brake changes and never once had this issue.

I will just get some miles on them to bed in some more as it sounds like we are thinking along the same lines here.

Gimpster- I used the ls400 bolts which were a bit shorter but I did double check that to make sure there was no contact etc.
Old 04-20-11, 09:29 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lookEVO
My bracket bolts never touched... but my rotors are hot spotted in a few spots and make a similar noise. are the rotors new or were they used?
Everything was new other than the calipers which I cleaned and inspected them and all checked out good.
Old 04-20-11, 09:33 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drive them, but dont do any crazy heat cycles IMO. that can cause warpage.
Old 04-20-11, 10:30 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm , sounds strange. Ive changed my brakes recently so dont know what it cud be
Old 04-21-11, 04:01 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

could be the dust guard touching the back of the rotor, ive had a little peice of metal sticking from a set of brake pads do that
Old 04-21-11, 05:58 AM
sclean
BANNED SCAMMER BEWARE

my boyfirend use the LS bolts on his sc and we had a problem they were too long we switch to sc bolts and they were just fine
Old 04-21-11, 09:12 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chnk
could be the dust guard touching the back of the rotor, ive had a little peice of metal sticking from a set of brake pads do that
I removed the dust shields when I did the conversion.
Old 04-21-11, 09:13 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sclean
my boyfirend use the LS bolts on his sc and we had a problem they were too long we switch to sc bolts and they were just fine
Hmm... Well in this case the sc bolts were to long and the ls bolts were just right.
Old 04-21-11, 03:58 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

You need to put a few washers on the SC bolts or else they will hit the rotor. Or use the LS bolts and they will be fine!!
Old 04-21-11, 04:30 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

I would say give it a few more days of driving to see if the noise goes away. The brakes may need to seat or "break in".
Old 04-21-11, 04:35 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VanillaSC
I would say give it a few more days of driving to see if the noise goes away. The brakes may need to seat or "break in".
This is what I am trying to convince my self will happen Lets hope so but I have used this brand of pads on my supra and evo and never had these problems which is why I am worried a little.

Quick Reply: Installed ls400 bbk and now has a low speed noise?