SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got my headlights restored without plastic polish!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 05:57 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my headlights restored without plastic polish!

I don't have pics at the moment but they look like new and he didn't use any polish.
What I'm wondering about is the clear liquid he was carrying in a water bottle, he poured it all over the headlights and took off all the yellow haze which I thought had polished a month ago, it didn't damage my paint and you could actually see the yellow stuff coming out of them.
After he cleaned them up with that liquid and sanded them with fine sand paper I was like damn they look worst than they were before, I couldn't even see the projector through, but they he applied some coats of acrylic laquer and damn they look like new now.
Has anybody used this method or know what he poured on the headlights that cleaned them up that good and didn't damage my paint?
Old 04-23-11, 06:01 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not the right way to do it as you should never apply any type of clear coat.

The right way would be to wet sand and buff and it will turn out like new and stay that way for a while.
Old 04-23-11, 06:19 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah mine were yellow and now look new. I wet sanded them at 1000 grit and then polished with a 3M buffing pad using Fenesit as the polish. They will look new.
Old 04-23-11, 06:28 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Isn't the clear coat supposed to protect them from the sun, why is it a no no?
Old 04-23-11, 06:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have also wondered the same thing about the clear coating. I have always used the wet sanding techique and it looks great for quite some time.
Old 04-23-11, 06:39 PM
MSBlade
Rookie

I know of at least one company. Ever-wear makes kit for head lights.
"Ever-Wear Headlight Restoration Kit Restores the appearance and performance of discolored cloudy headlights. Make headlights shine like new. Don't spend hundreds of dollars replacing your headlights. Most of today's vehicles no longer use glass headlights, they are made of plastic material with a thin protective laminate film over the lens. With time, the sun's UV rays and contaminates such as acid rain, salt and road debris degrade and discolor this coating. Halogen headlights operate at very high temperatures, contributing to laminate oxidation. Oxidation and deterioration results in a cloudy film that can diminish headlight candle power and light output, significantly reducing visibility and nightime safety. The Headlight Restoration Kit provides the preferred cost-effective alternative to replacement featuring polymer laminate coating replacement. Ever-Wear's unique process removes the oxidized film, polishes the lens and applies a protective UV-resistant coating. The restored headlight is clear and performs like new, superior to wax or silicone coatings in both appearance and performance. Easy to apply with instructions included and features: Oxidized laminate removal-improves appearance, night vision and safety Three step wet sanding- completely removes OE laminate coatings, smooths the lens surface Lens cleaner/wipe- prepares the lens surface for coating Liquid polymer application- provides UV protection, fills minor imperfections and hardens to form a crystal clear laminate layer equal to OE "

This puts new "clear coat" on the headlights. I am sure there are others out there too
Old 04-23-11, 06:48 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not get a proper bond to the headlight as clear coat is meant to bond with base coat so it's only a matter of time before a small rock chip will compromise the bond and it will start peeling and flaking when we were taught about clear coat in collision repar technology class in college this subject came up a lot so the instructor took a yellow headlight from a junk car and wet sanded and polished it to the point that it could pass as new again.
Old 04-23-11, 07:43 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Dude wet sand polish here are a few pics works fine not a big deal don't freaking nuke this.
this is after the first light took maybe 3 mins

both on the one side done 5 mins later

and on
Old 04-23-11, 07:49 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Nice toys! Those rims look hella good on that sc

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
Dude wet sand polish here are a few pics works fine not a big deal don't freaking nuke this.
this is after the first light took maybe 3 mins

both on the one side done 5 mins later

and on
Old 04-23-11, 07:51 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Thank you not to jack the thread.
Old 04-23-11, 07:52 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My lights were painted at the dealership as a "restoration" a year or so before I bought it and they are peeling already and look really bad.
Old 04-23-11, 10:33 PM
iwannadie
Driver

I don't see the big deal here, plastic polish or wet sand, it's the same thing removing a thin layer of material. The junk they put on first was just to clean any road grim off I'm sure.
Old 04-24-11, 06:18 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

I know it's simple just like in my pics easy took 10 minuts.
Old 04-24-11, 06:36 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a UV protectant spray that goes on like paint but its not a paint, are you sure they didnt use that? I plan on ordering some, I have the companys name on my desk at work, they had a booth at SEMA.
Old 04-24-11, 07:13 AM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
There is a UV protectant spray that goes on like paint but its not a paint, are you sure they didnt use that? I plan on ordering some, I have the companys name on my desk at work, they had a booth at SEMA.
The higher end headlight restore kits come with the UV protectant coating. If you don't get a good coating to protect from UV you will be back in the same boat again sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Just got my headlights restored without plastic polish!