SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Headlights wont turn on, and its almost night time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 07:54 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights wont turn on, and its almost night time!

Ok here is the deal. Neither one of my headlights work. My turn signals, and all lights on the tails work. I can hear the light switch on but nothing happens. I checked the power at both bulbs and its there. The car has 97+ fogs wired into the driver headlight (came that way). I cant just pop out the bulbs and check for new ones since i am running d2s bulbs in my audi tt retrofit.

I searched with no luck. I checked fuses in the main box and kick panel to no avail. Help me out fellas

...oh high beams work so i can drive home like that, but i need this resolved asap!
Old 04-28-11, 07:55 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the headlight relay in the relay box in the engine bay.
Old 04-28-11, 09:04 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Ok here is the deal. Neither one of my headlights work. My turn signals, and all lights on the tails work. I can hear the light switch on but nothing happens. I checked the power at both bulbs and its there. The car has 97+ fogs wired into the driver headlight (came that way). I cant just pop out the bulbs and check for new ones since i am running d2s bulbs in my audi tt retrofit.

I searched with no luck. I checked fuses in the main box and kick panel to no avail. Help me out fellas

...oh high beams work so i can drive home like that, but i need this resolved asap!
Are your ballasts pulling power from the stock wiring or are you using a harness direct wired to the battery?
Old 04-28-11, 02:05 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was searching for answers while texting Mark we have come to the conclusion that it's the relay or an issue with the factory harness and voltage drop issue since he's running both hid fogs and headlights off the factory relay and wiring. Leaning towards relay since he said the car was running like ish and I found a post saying that all the relays are on the same ground circut and if one goes it can cause drivability issues.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3278862-post5.html link to info about divability issues anyone else able to confirm this? I'm not knowlegeable about electrical problems
Old 04-28-11, 04:54 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klaus
Are your ballasts pulling power from the stock wiring or are you using a harness direct wired to the battery?
from stock wiring, it worked fine thus far (thats how i bought it, i just swapped out the stock lights for my audi tt retro's). I think im going to make a harness to draw power from the battery with a relay and use the oem wiring to switch the ballast to ignite. hopefully that works. I felt like a punk driving home last night with my hi's on...
Old 04-28-11, 07:42 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does all the other lights work? Try taking off battery and putting it back on.
Old 04-28-11, 10:09 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
does all the other lights work? Try taking off battery and putting it back on.
everything else works...weird huh. Im thinking the voltage drop. Gonna buy new ballasts and oem phillips bulbs, make the harness and see if that works.
Old 04-29-11, 09:25 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to make a harness:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

I'm willing to bet that your ballasts are probably fine, but just underdriven right now. Get that harness in, and you should be fine!
Old 04-29-11, 10:54 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Ill order that right now. Thanks
Old 05-07-11, 05:42 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klaus
No need to make a harness:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

I'm willing to bet that your ballasts are probably fine, but just underdriven right now. Get that harness in, and you should be fine!
So i bought the harness, installed it and gues what! NOTHING. I checked power and i have power everywhere except going to the ballast. I wish I had a stock bulb to test it. Then it would be a relay!

Anyway i used a test light and i get power to the bulb plug. I dont get power out of any of the 4 hid ballasts. Even after the DDM tunning harness install. If the relay was bad would i not get power to the bulb plug? Oh i should note that one side of the bulb plug when switched on is bright (with test light), the other side is faint (low voltage is my guess).

Can anyone chime in here?
Old 05-08-11, 07:59 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

So me and cameron (sw2uz) did some trouble shooting today. It seems like my headlight ground isnt there. I am getting a tad over 12v from both terminals when grounded to chassis. So I am going to run new wire from the fusebox to the headlight plug, insulate them a little better. Im also going to run the fogs off the sidemarkers with a relay and use a 3500k bulb to get the yellow fog look.

After that time to re wire the cluster to fit the 98sc400 cluster i got on the cheap!