SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Found some free hp in my 97sc400 (but my thread was closed for immature name calling)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 06:23 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet hot air intake
Old 05-05-11, 10:38 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup hot air but your intake manifold is hotter than the air it is sucking in so what is your point?

Bottom line is that it picked up a few hp whether or not people like it is not why it was done.
Old 05-05-11, 12:18 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about doing this a while back, might as well do it, good job.
Old 05-05-11, 12:24 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Yup hot air but your intake manifold is hotter than the air it is sucking in so what is your point?

Bottom line is that it picked up a few hp whether or not people like it is not why it was done.
Just because the intake manifold is hot doesn't mean it is going to heat up the air passing through it to match the manifold temperature.

I also disagree with your bottom line, there is no proof of any HP gained. I've never understood how people could throw a random number like 5 HP gained out there. How would you describe coming to that specific number of 5 HP or is it entirely pulled from thin air?

Bottom line, you are trying to out think the lexus engineers by removing what is to you a random piece of plastic that you think lexus put there to remove 5 HP for no reason.
Old 05-05-11, 01:29 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wanna pay for my dyno so you can have your proof?
I said about 5 give or take which is just a guess but a well educated one.
And yes just because the intake manifold is hot DOES mean that it will heat the air up maybe not as hot as the manifold it self but to that of the "hot" ambient temps
Lexus engineers designed the car around smooth and quiet not max hp and smooth and quiet has a trade off which is hp.

I would be more than happy to dyno this on your nickel since you are trying to bash and disprove it and I will even do the base run with a stock air tube and air box but seriously why over analyze something so simple and then hate on the results?

Seriously wtf man?
Old 05-05-11, 01:41 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Wanna pay for my dyno so you can have your proof?
I said about 5 give or take which is just a guess but a well educated one.
And yes just because the intake manifold is hot DOES mean that it will heat the air up maybe not as hot as the manifold it self but to that of the "hot" ambient temps
Lexus engineers designed the car around smooth and quiet not max hp and smooth and quiet has a trade off which is hp.

I would be more than happy to dyno this on your nickel since you are trying to bash and disprove it and I will even do the base run with a stock air tube and air box but seriously why over analyze something so simple and then hate on the results?

Seriously wtf man?
First, you post on a public forum and don't expect people to disagree with you?

Second, I am not making any claims like you are so why would I pay to back up a claim made by you?

I can only assume you posted because you want to show off that you gained HP and show others how to do the same. That to me makes no sense without any validation. It sucks you don't want to dyno and prove things but that's on you for not backing up what you claim with proof.
Old 05-05-11, 01:41 PM
redhot91gt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought those boxes were mufflers for quieting the intake noise? And you said it made it quieter?
Old 05-05-11, 02:05 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iwannadie
First, you post on a public forum and don't expect people to disagree with you?

Second, I am not making any claims like you are so why would I pay to back up a claim made by you?

I can only assume you posted because you want to show off that you gained HP and show others how to do the same. That to me makes no sense without any validation. It sucks you don't want to dyno and prove things but that's on you for not backing up what you claim with proof.
I don't need proof, You do because you are the one making a bickering contest out of this very very minor deal.

The sc400 is a sluggish turd at best and any little thing that can help with response or hp is good to me but you nerds get on here and try to argue about hot air intakes blah blah blah...

I will gladly dyno the car but not on my dime because I really don't care and how do I not wan't to dyno? I said I would but you pay for it since you are so worried about knocking down what I did here.

Get a life and stop trying to discredit people who are trying to help the community.

Get your post count up by trolling another thread, Seriously.

Last edited by xspsi6; 05-05-11 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 02:12 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redhot91gt
I thought those boxes were mufflers for quieting the intake noise? And you said it made it quieter?
Yes it got a little more quiet and a bit less throaty but it pulls a little harder so in the end it was worth it however I have not tried this with a stock air box so I can't tell you anything about how it would work in that case.
Old 05-05-11, 02:18 PM
iwannadie
Driver

I don't need proof, You do because you are the one making a bickering contest out of this very very minor deal.

The sc400 is a sluggish turd at best and any little thing that can help with response or hp is good to me but you nerds get on here and try to argue about hot air intakes blah blah blah...

I will gladly dyno the car but not on my dime because I really don't care and how do I not wan't to dyno? I said I would but you pay for it since you are so worried about knocking down what I did here.

Get a life and stop trying to discredit people who are trying to help the community.

Get your post count up by trolling another thread, Seriously.
So, your helping the community by making some claims with no proof? So, if I started a thread stating that a certain brand of oil gained me 5 HP and offered no proof that would also be helpful? You just seem upset everyone isn't praising you or something, I'm not sure what you expected other than people voicing opinions.

I also like how one minute you call it a muffler and imply lexus put it there to make it quiet, then you say by removing it the car actually got more quiet.

Of course it also comes down to personal attacks in the end when you can't argue your point like a civil person.
Old 05-05-11, 02:29 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wow you are a total jerk! Have you ever been laid? Are you in high school still?

Yes it got quieter with the open element air filter on which is still a good bit louder than the stock air box so it is most likely a muffler of some sort to help quiet down the sound.

So there is no holes in my story here buddy because it's honest and you are destroying this thread by being an *** hat over some free hp however little it may be.

Get a life dude and try to make your slow car faster by learning from those around you who have been there and done that or are you one of those dope hellaflush flat brim hat wearing punks?
Old 05-05-11, 02:54 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Wow you are a total jerk! Have you ever been laid? Are you in high school still?

Yes it got quieter with the open element air filter on which is still a good bit louder than the stock air box so it is most likely a muffler of some sort to help quiet down the sound.

So there is no holes in my story here buddy because it's honest and you are destroying this thread by being an *** hat over some free hp however little it may be.

Get a life dude and try to make your slow car faster by learning from those around you who have been there and done that or are you one of those dope hellaflush flat brim hat wearing punks?
Yup, show people how intelligent and helpful to the community you are by resorting to personal attacks again. Sorry, I don't believe some random claim of "free HP" with no proof to back it up.

I would say the first and biggest hole in your story is you don't even know what the part you removed is. I guess I should be learning from someone who just cut something out of his car and is still guessing as to what it actually was. If you had posted with a reasonable theory as to what it was you removed and what was happening because of its absence then maybe it would be believable. Instead you are referring to it as, "likely a muffler of some sort" which doesn't sound very technical to me.

Hopefully people will think twice before cutting their intakes to match yours based on your display of knowledge and proof of "free HP".
Old 05-05-11, 03:28 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I don't care what the part is called all I know is what it did which is cause a disruption in air flow and cause a loss in velocity which was the whole point of this thread .

How do you look to the community by coming on this thread and cluttering it up with bs because you feel that you are more intelligent than the rest of us?

You are a newb yet with a low post count so your credibility is also low so if YOU have solid proof that what I did was detrimental to the performance then bring it otherwise it is just a bunch of crap spewing from behind your keyboard and bleeding on to this forum and cluttering up a thread that could be helpful to those looking for some better response and hp from their v-8.

Do you have something personal to prove here? I am sorry that your life is so bankrupt that you have to come on here and attack and attempt to tear down something that you have never tried 1st hand.

For those of you that read this thread and can read past the haters bs feel free to try this and report back because I have no regrets at all as it really helped the car seem less sluggish however it came with a trade off I suppose which was it is louder than the stock air box but quieter than the open element filter with the "muffler" in the intake tube and I would not try this on a 92-95 as I have no exp with that type of air flow meter and how it will behave.

It's your turn hater....

Last edited by xspsi6; 05-05-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 04:00 PM
iwannadie
Driver

I don't care what the part is called all I know is what it did which is cause a disruption in air flow and cause a loss in velocity which was the whole point of this thread .

How do you look to the community by coming on this thread and cluttering it up with bs because you feel that you are more intelligent than the rest of us?

You are a newb yet with a low post count so your credibility is also low so if YOU have solid proof that what I did was detrimental to the performance then bring it otherwise it is just a bunch of crap spewing from behind your keyboard and bleeding on to this forum and cluttering up a thread that could be helpful to those looking for some better response and hp from their v-8.

Do you have something personal to prove here? I am sorry that your life is so bankrupt that you have to come on here and attack and attempt to tear down something that you have never tried 1st hand.

For those of you that read this thread and can read past the haters bs feel free to try this and report back because I have no regrets at all as it really helped the car seem less sluggish however it came with a trade off I suppose which was it is louder than the stock air box but quieter than the open element filter with the "muffler" in the intake tube and I would not try this on a 92-95 as I have no exp with that type of air flow meter and how it will behave.

It's your turn hater....
Again it's all personal with you so there's no point in trying to actually debate anything. If you took 5 minutes to google this very subject you would see on basically every type of car forum out there someone did just what you did and it is nothing new or advised. I am making no claims to superior intelligence and I am not going to make claims about things I don't understand or have proof to back up either.

Plus, I am not hating anyone. I am wondering how someone can make some claim and not back it up with any information at all, I didn't think that was such a bad thing. I guess people should just read what you say and take it as fact based on nothing?

For people wanting to read up before cutting out parts you can google easy here's 2 to get you started.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10888

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 05-05-11, 04:04 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Here's 2 wikis for reading fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_(automotive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

Quick Reply: Found some free hp in my 97sc400 (but my thread was closed for immature name calling)