SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Found some free hp in my 97sc400 (but my thread was closed for immature name calling)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 04:08 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off I did google it and I don't care really what others say since in my case it worked and if you read my first post you would see that I found the increase by accident but you were so busy trying to knock down what I did that you lost sight of the original point of this thread.

You need to know how an engine works and how airflow effects the output of the engine and the velocity loss has been fixed with this and in a n/a engine smooth velocity is everything except in your case of course.

So go back to googling ideas and I will stick to real world results while you sit behind a computer pecking away at what people do to try and help the community.

Next round.....
Old 05-05-11, 04:12 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xspsi6
First off I did google it and I don't care really what others say since in my case it worked and if you read my first post you would see that I found the increase by accident but you were so busy trying to knock down what I did that you lost sight of the original point of this thread.

You need to know how an engine works and how airflow effects the output of the engine and the velocity loss has been fixed with this and in a n/a engine smooth velocity is everything except in your case of course.

So go back to googling ideas and I will stick to real world results while you sit behind a computer pecking away at what people do to try and help the community.

Next round.....
If you took a minute to read how the Helmholtz intake chamber works, you would question removing it maybe.

Then again as Homer once said,
Originally Posted by Homer
Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
Old 05-05-11, 04:48 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iwannadie
If you took a minute to read how the Helmholtz intake chamber works, you would question removing it maybe.

Then again as Homer once said, .
The car was much more responsive with out it so once again real world results

Could you please take your trolling to another forum? This is getting old quickly.

How about a little wager?

I will dyno the car with both the stock intake box and tube and with my set up and whoever is wrong in this this thread pays the dyno bill and we will paypal a 3rd party the dyno fees up front and the winner will get their money back plus the other parties money?

Closest dyno to me is Titan motorsports in Orlando

The challange has been made now the ball is in your court...
Old 05-05-11, 05:10 PM
Wangan_sc
Rookie

Awww reminds me of when I had my 240sx, everyone fights on the forum....
Old 05-05-11, 06:06 PM
iwannadie
Driver

The car was much more responsive with out it so once again real world results

Could you please take your trolling to another forum? This is getting old quickly.

How about a little wager?

I will dyno the car with both the stock intake box and tube and with my set up and whoever is wrong in this this thread pays the dyno bill and we will paypal a 3rd party the dyno fees up front and the winner will get their money back plus the other parties money?

Closest dyno to me is Titan motorsports in Orlando

The challange has been made now the ball is in your court...
I presented fact and that's the best I can do. If you want to over look facts and go on about gambling dyno fees so be it, I guess you win in your mind. I just hope I made a case for people to read up on the subject before doing anything, at least they can make an informed decision.
Old 05-05-11, 06:20 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

"A Helmholtz resonator includes a chamber at least partially defining a cavity. The chamber has a neck which defines a passage that is in fluid communication with the cavity. The chamber and the neck produce a passive response to a sound wave produced by the internal combustion engine. The sound wave negatively effects engine performance. An active resonator is disposed within the chamber. The active resonator produces a forced response for supplementing the passive response and increasing the band width of the noise attenuating pressure wave. The Helmholtz resonator is in fluid communication with a portion of an air induction system that defines a passageway that carries the sound wave. A driver is connected to the active resonator, which is preferably a loud speaker, to drive the loud speaker and produce the forced response. The driver preferably utilizes a signal source, such as an engine speed signal, to synchronize the forced response with the engine speed. A phase compensator synchronizes the forced response with the sound wave, and an amplifier amplifies the signal to drive the loud speaker. "

It's an acoustic resonator meant to surpress noise at the expense of hp which is what I said in the very beginning so once again the bottom line is it gained hp at wot and I am willing to bet on it infact I am 100% sure of it which is why we should do the dyno to either prove or disprove what I am saying because 1 of us is wrong.
Old 05-05-11, 06:33 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Read this,

Modern intake manifolds usually employ runners, individual tubes extending to each intake port on the cylinder head which emanate from a central volume or "plenum" beneath the carburetor. The purpose of the runner is to take advantage of the Helmholtz resonance property of air. Air flows at considerable speed through the open valve. When the valve closes, the air that has not yet entered the valve still has a lot of momentum and compresses against the valve, creating a pocket of high pressure. This high-pressure air begins to equalize with lower-pressure air in the manifold. Due to the air's inertia, the equalization will tend to oscillate: At first the air in the runner will be at a lower pressure than the manifold. The air in the manifold then tries to equalize back into the runner, and the oscillation repeats. This process occurs at the speed of sound, and in most manifold travels up and down the runner many times before the valve opens again.
The smaller the cross-sectional area of the runner, the higher the pressure changes on resonance for a given airflow. This aspect of Helmholz resonance reproduces one result of the Venturi effect. When the piston accelerates downwards, the pressure at the output of the intake runner is reduced. This low pressure pulse runs to the input end, where it is converted into an over-pressure pulse. This pulse travels back through the runner and rams air through the valve. The valve then closes.
To harness the full power of the Helmholtz resonance effect, the opening of the intake valve must be timed correctly, otherwise the pulse could have a negative effect. This poses a very difficult problem for engines, since valve timing is dynamic and based on engine speed, whereas the pulse timing is static and dependent on the length of the intake runner and the speed of sound. The traditional solution has been to tune the length of the intake runner for a specific engine speed where maximum performance is desired. However, modern technology has given rise to a number of solutions involving electronically-controlled valve timing (for example Valvetronic), and dynamic intake geometry (see below).
As a result of "resonance tuning", some naturally-aspirated intake systems operate at a volumetric efficiency above 100%: the air pressure in the combustion chamber before the compression stroke is greater than the atmospheric pressure. In combination with this intake manifold design feature, the exhaust manifold design, as well as the exhaust valve opening time can be so calibrated as to achieve greater evacuation of the cylinder. The exhaust manifolds achieve a vacuum in the cylinder just before the piston reaches top dead center.[citation needed] The opening inlet valve can then—at typical compression ratios—fill 10% of the cylinder before beginning downward travel.[citation needed] Instead of achieving higher pressure in the cylinder, the inlet valve can stay open after the piston reaches bottom dead center while the air still flows in.[citation needed][vague]
In some engines the intake runners are straight for minimal resistance. In most engines, however, the runners have curves...and some very convoluted to achieve desired runner length. These turns allow for a more compact manifold, with denser packaging of the whole engine, as a result. Also, these "snaked" runners are needed for some variable length/ split runner designs, and allow the size of the plenum to be reduced. In an engine with at least six cylinders the averaged intake flow is nearly constant and the plenum volume can be smaller. To avoid standing waves within the plenum it is made as compact as possible. The intake runners each use a smaller part of the plenum surface than the inlet, which supplies air to the plenum, for aerodynamic reasons. Each runner is placed to have nearly the same distance to the main inlet. Runners, whose cylinders fire close after each other, are not placed as neighbors.
"180 degree intake manifolds"....Originally designed for carbureted V8 engines, the two plane, split plenum intake manifold separates the intake pulses which the manifold experiences by 180 degrees in the firing order. This minimizes interference of one cylinder's pressure waves with those of another. Such manifolds may be designed for either two or four barrel carburetors.
"Heat Riser"....now obsolete, earlier manifolds ...with 'wet runners' for carbureted engines...used exhaust gas diversion through the intake manifold to provide vaporizing heat. The amount of exhaust gas flow diversion was controlled by a heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold, and employed a bi-metallic spring which changed tension according to the heat in the manifold. Today's fuel injected engines do not require such devices.
Old 05-05-11, 06:38 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Also, if you re-read what you quoted...

"A Helmholtz resonator includes a chamber at least partially defining a cavity. The chamber has a neck which defines a passage that is in fluid communication with the cavity. The chamber and the neck produce a passive response to a sound wave produced by the internal combustion engine. The sound wave negatively effects engine performance. An active resonator is disposed within the chamber.
The chamber produces a passive response to a sound wave produced by the engine, notice it says the sound wave has negative effect on the engine. The chamber is countering the negative effect that the engine produces.
Old 05-05-11, 06:47 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yes at partial throttle which could translate to a very very slight power loss at that given rpm/load column however at wot it poses a restriction and overall wot power is effected and last time I knew wot is all that matters and this whole thread had to do with wot performance and nothing to do with part throttle performance.
Old 05-05-11, 06:51 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Yes at partial throttle which could translate to a very very slight power loss at that given rpm/load column however at wot it poses a restriction and overall wot power is effected and last time I knew wot is all that matters and this whole thread had to do with wot performance and nothing to do with part throttle performance.
"A Helmholtz resonator includes a chamber at least partially defining a cavity. The chamber has a neck which defines a passage that is in fluid communication with the cavity. The chamber and the neck produce a passive response to a sound wave produced by the internal combustion engine. The sound wave negatively effects engine performance. An active resonator is disposed within the chamber."

Where does it indicate anything about partial throttle or WOT?
Old 05-05-11, 07:10 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Read more and you will see, I don't think you have a full understanding of how it works yet.
Old 05-05-11, 07:22 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Read more and you will see, I don't think you have a full understanding of how it works yet.
If I am wrong I am willing to learn, I admit I don't know everything and I enjoy learning new stuff. If you claim to know something are you going to withhold it from the community? What I highlighted above from your quote says nothing of engine speed.
Old 05-05-11, 09:55 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i would like to do this mod to my sc i could use some hp gain being that its vvti and off the line the response is not so great. So is this like the bfi?
Old 05-05-11, 10:16 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boostinsc
i would like to do this mod to my sc i could use some hp gain being that its vvti and off the line the response is not so great. So is this like the bfi?
Yea my car was a slug down low and now is so much more lively however don't expect a huge change just a little more noticeable low end pep.

My understanding is that a bfi is a modded stock airbox so this would be like a bfi++

Try to just eliminate the airbox by putting the open element filter on first and then drive it for a couple of weeks so you get used to it then remove the chamber so you can see exactly what each has done for you because if you do them all at once you won't be able to tell what each has done.

I found this by mistake but I am glad I did because it really helps this slug of a car.
Old 05-06-11, 10:49 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea my car was a slug down low and now is so much more lively however don't expect a huge change just a little more noticeable low end pep.

My understanding is that a bfi is a modded stock airbox so this would be like a bfi++

Try to just eliminate the airbox by putting the open element filter on first and then drive it for a couple of weeks so you get used to it then remove the chamber so you can see exactly what each has done for you because if you do them all at once you won't be able to tell what each has done.

I found this by mistake but I am glad I did because it really helps this slug of a car.
Frankly, I don't care how great of thing you just found out was... Grow up a little. When someone said they didn't believe you, I don't think I've seen that level of butthurt in a long time. Did you really think everyone would agree with you? If someone says "I don't buy it" move on. Calling someone out asking them if they have been laid or are still in high school? Contradictory statements at its best.

Last edited by FireCode; 05-06-11 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Found some free hp in my 97sc400 (but my thread was closed for immature name calling)