SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

aftermarket head unit w/ stock amp n sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 05:18 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question aftermarket head unit w/ stock amp n sub

Hey guys I wanna put an aftermarket head unit in my sc300, i just bought the wire harness adaptor to plug and play(with some connecting) I just need to know if I can run the factory amn and sub without having to rewire anything.. thanks guys

I HATE my 12 disc changer!
Old 05-02-11, 05:40 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same question! But I still wanna use my 12 disc changer so the one in the aftermarket hu won't get worn out, anyways I have an iPod to connect to it, just wanna use it mainly for DVD's.. Anyone?
Old 05-02-11, 06:22 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use this link to wire factory amp and sub:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rom-raine.html

As far as using your 12 disc changer, I havent heard or seen anyone using it with an aftermarket HU.
Old 05-02-11, 06:35 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

dont think its possible to use factory changer with aftermarket h.u. but i used that tutorial linked above to use my factory sub amp. i did it a bit different i think though. what i did was use tap connectors on the 2 wires that lead to the sub amp. this way i didnt cut any wires. and just ran rca to speaker wire jacks from the h.u. to the 2 amp wires as mentioned in the tutorial. also plan on running new speaker wire to your interior speakers from the the head unit. because the metra harness absolutely will introduce bad alternator whine. and fighting with ground loop isolators is not worth it. just run the new wires. and you will have no whine. also if you own an ipod what is the point of having that 50 lb dinosaur of a cd changer in your trunk? rip your cds and give them away bro your life will feel lighter. i dumped over 500 cds a couple years ago. and it felt great!
Old 05-02-11, 08:33 PM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed the link above to connect my factory sub and it works fine. The only thing I did differently from the DIY was in the second part where u have to splice the wire in the trunk, u can skip that step if u just physically disconnect the antenna. It worked for me.
Old 05-02-11, 08:45 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I had this same question also.
Old 05-02-11, 11:22 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
dont think its possible to use factory changer with aftermarket h.u. but i used that tutorial linked above to use my factory sub amp. i did it a bit different i think though. what i did was use tap connectors on the 2 wires that lead to the sub amp. this way i didnt cut any wires. and just ran rca to speaker wire jacks from the h.u. to the 2 amp wires as mentioned in the tutorial. also plan on running new speaker wire to your interior speakers from the the head unit. because the metra harness absolutely will introduce bad alternator whine. and fighting with ground loop isolators is not worth it. just run the new wires. and you will have no whine. also if you own an ipod what is the point of having that 50 lb dinosaur of a cd changer in your trunk? rip your cds and give them away bro your life will feel lighter. i dumped over 500 cds a couple years ago. and it felt great!
I know it's kinda silly that I still wanna keep the CD changer even though I have an iPod... I just wanna stack it up with my CD's so in case I forget to bring my iPod(which usually happens) I can still listen to my back up music... But seriously, I need to run new wires?? I gotta talk to this rain guy to find out anyways I know him personally(He's my wife's brother-in-law's brother) Seriously! LOL!
Old 05-03-11, 01:51 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

ok well i have not gone back and reread that tutorial. but i have to say my antenna works just like its supposed to. i did not splice any wires in the trunk and i never understood why that was instructed in rains tutorial. i have the pioneer stock system(had) and all i did to use the factory amp to run my new sub using an aftermarket head unit was to tap into the 2 wires that put audio into the amp. my antenna was plugged into the head unit. and works as it should. maybe those directions to splice a wire for the antenna were either incorrect or intended for the nakamichi system. the only thing of use in rains tutorial for me was knowing which wires fed audio into the amp. the reason i said run new speaker wires is because if you use the rca jacks that are on the wire harness you absolutely will get alternator noise and i dont mean just a little noise i mean bad it is intolerable. it is a faulty design on the harness. if you look at the harness you will see that the hot wires are too close to the rca jacks and it is my belief that this is the cause of the alternator whine. they just are not shielded enough and you get noise bleeding into the rca's if you read through raines thread you will see multiple people that encountered the alternator whine when using the metra harness including me. trust me on this you want to run new speaker wires and it is easy. if you have never ran wires before google up a tutorial but you basically just pull off the door threshhold pull back your carpet a little and run the wires to the back. for the front speakers it took a little more effort because you have to run the wires along the rubber boot in your door jam. i didnt even run the wires through the boot. the boots were torn on both sides so i just ran the wires through the tear and black taped them to the boot. you cant tell and it was way easier then trying to run them through the boot which i believe you would have to take off the doors to do that. i am actually pulling my deck out tomorrow because somehow i screwed up 2 of the channels my front left is reversed with my rear left. dumb mistake first time i ever did that and i have installed a lot of decks. but the point is i will snap a few pics to show you how i setup my harness.basically the only wires from the harness that were used were the bat+,the ignition/red one and the ground. no wires were cut in my factory harness all the speakers run off the new head unit which is a better amp then the factory 1 anyway. and my antenna works fine i have no idea why anyone ever spliced a wire or why they would disconnect it. as i said those steps must only apply to the nakamichi system. and there is positively no way to run your cd changer from any head unit other then the stock unit. think about it how would you control it? if you must have a changer you will need a new one. sorry but thems the breaks.i will post pics tomorrow so you can see what i did.

Last edited by bleedspeed; 05-03-11 at 01:58 AM.