Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 10:42 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
22540/18,235/40/18,245/40/18 is generally what normally fits on an 8.5

a 215/35/18 or 205(if they make these)

why would you stretch an 8.5 inch? 8.5 inches arent wide already you downsizing the grip to like 6 or 7 inches(honda level lol)
Cause he wants to look super JDM VIP Tokyo-Drift Tyte Yo! And have an even more terrible ride \ less rim protection from potholes than just low pro's alone.
Old 05-04-11, 10:46 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^and less modifying of the fenders to make the wheels fit

edit: rim protection is for pink tacos
Old 05-04-11, 01:05 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 240benzo
X2, driver mod should be the only protection you need.
Old 05-04-11, 01:47 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by g-magoo
X2, driver mod should be the only protection you need.
You're doing 75, car on either side of you and behind, pothole comes up..do you:

A) Brake hard and maybe cause a pile-up
B) Swerve to either side taking out a family and youself
C) Eat it and bend the rim / pop your tire

If you chose A or B, you are exactly what causes insurance rates to be so high, and undue fatalities on the road....and you're a d-bag. If you chose C and replace rims all the time then you either have more money than brains, live with your parents or in an apartment, are up to your eyes in debt, or will never retire. Spending $4-6 hundred everytime you pop a tire and bend a rim on a car that's worth $4-$6K because you stretch them unnecessarily doesn't make you a baller, it makes you an idiot.

At least that's how it goes when you live in Northern CA and have to drive 580 from time to time.
Old 05-04-11, 01:53 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottys209
You're doing 75, car on either side of you and behind, pothole comes up..do you:

A) Brake hard and maybe cause a pile-up
B) Swerve to either side taking out a family and youself
C) Eat it and bend the rim / pop your tire

If you chose A or B, you are exactly what causes insurance rates to be so high, and undue fatalities on the road....and you're a d-bag. If you chose C and replace rims all the time then you either have more money than brains, live with your parents or in an apartment, are up to your eyes in debt, or will never retire. Spending $4-6 hundred everytime you pop a tire and bend a rim on a car that's worth $4-$6K because you stretch them unnecessarily doesn't make you a baller, it makes you an idiot.

At least that's how it goes when you live in Northern CA and have to drive 580 from time to time.
Its a size of a pothole that matters, i hit potholes all the time without a problem and i dont blow out my tires. I think you have
a. no idea about stretched tires and just talking out of your ***
b.dont like that style
c.calling all the people that have vip cars like stance nation, fatlace, etc idiots and d-bags.

I'm 30, married and run my own buisness....i'm sorry if i dont fall in your category of an idiot.
Old 05-04-11, 02:02 PM
8600RPM
Rookie

Unless this pothole was the size of a small town, I'm unsure how swerving to the left or right would cause you to take out a family.
Old 05-04-11, 02:15 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

^HA i love you guys <3 (no homo?)

if the pothole is that big a tire wont save you much from wheel damage
Old 05-04-11, 02:41 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

MDSC, I think you are trying to defend a style that I wasn't attacking directly, but distance from tire to lip changes when you stretch, and, while you may "hit potholes all the time" they are obviously aren't the same as the ones here, people bend stock rim's on 45 series tires here because the potholes are so bad.
8600, how wide are the lanes in FL? If it is a 6" pothole, and a car is next to you, swerving 6 inches may cause contact, or the other driver to react and lose control.
240, It's hard to judge the depth and jaggedness of a pothole at 75, it may be wider than it is deep. I know you guys are trying to defend the fact that you spend a ton of money to get that style and look, but honesly the stretch does take away from the wheel protection, it doesn't take an engineer to figure that out, less distance, mass, and resistance between object A and B increase the chance for collision between A and B when force is applied from both sides towards eachother. Thus my prior post about the other things that can come from that.
Old 05-04-11, 02:44 PM
8600RPM
Rookie

They range from 12' to 11' wide in Florida, like many other states.

Swerving 6" to miss a pothole in a Kenworth might be a problem, anything Lexus makes? Not a problem.
Old 05-04-11, 03:03 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scottys209
I know you guys are trying to defend the fact that you spend a ton of money to get that style and look, but honesly the stretch does take away from the wheel protection, it doesn't take an engineer to figure that out, less distance, mass, and resistance between object A and B increase the chance for collision between A and B when force is applied from both sides towards eachother. Thus my prior post about the other things that can come from that.
IM CHEAP! i spent $500 on my wheels, $100 on all four tires, 550 on my coils--
only spent 1000 on my 240 and 700 on my sc...my point being..im not rich!
but sometimes things unforeseen happen and theres not alot you can do to sway what fate swings at you--also the fact that rubber wont protect your wheels from a crazy pothole

i drove like this daily with ZERO issues-i have more of a stretch now and still none

but thanks for making this thread into...whatever it is now

Last edited by OKSTANCE; 05-04-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 03:08 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MDSC
... I think you have no idea about stretched tires and just talking out of your ***.
Most accurate statement on this page.

Had this set-up for 3 years, never once had 1 issue. Also put 20K on the car each year...

Old 05-04-11, 03:47 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stretching tires smaller than the already undersized stock (225) tires on this car seems counterproductive in the "upgrade" scheme but good luck.
Old 05-04-11, 06:03 PM
BTsunami
Rookie

Originally Posted by 240benzo
^^^and less modifying of the fenders to make the wheels fit

yeah for pink tacos ^^^ lol
Old 05-04-11, 06:03 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Call any tire manufacture and ask them about stretching, the saftey concerns and dangers associated with doing it... Wonder why most shops don't do it? Because you're distributing weight and force incorrectly, in a way that the tire wasn't designed to do, and they are liable for incorrect tire fittment when something goes wrong and causes an accident. There are hundreds of explanations available online, directly from tire manufactures, and tire shops explaining why. So no, I'm not talking out of my ***, it's fact. Saying "I run this setup and it's been fine" is like saying "I've been smoking for 5 years and I'm fine".... maybe, but you will see effects of it eventually.
Old 05-04-11, 06:05 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Stretching tires smaller than the already undersized stock (225) tires on this car seems counterproductive in the "upgrade" scheme but good luck.
where are you getting 225 tires stock? mine were 215, wide tires dont make the car handle or get traction suspension does. It has been proven by 10.5 pro outlaw drag racing class that you can make a car with 2000+ hp hook on a 10.5 wide tire, while in the old days people with that much hp had to tub the cars out and run 14" wide tires. My car handles just fine, as a matter of fact it handles better with my current tire set up then with my old supra tt wheel set up 235 up front and 275 in the rear. After all my car is not a race car, it handles good, and its slow the least i can do it make it look good while i'm at it.

Quick Reply: Tire Stretching!