SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mods hurt the computer??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-02, 01:57 AM
maajr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mods hurt the computer??

A service guy at my dealership saw my conical air filter and said he has seen problems in the past, especially when there's an air filter and exhaust combo.
He says that the computer can't keep up with the changes. He compared it to sticking your head out the car window when your going 60 mph.

Do you guys agree? What changes have you made, if any? What can you do to the ECU other than a chip upgrade?

Thanks,
Marty, Chicago
Old 09-04-02, 02:36 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an intake and exhaust and no problems with either of them yet (knock knock!).
Old 09-04-02, 10:41 AM
krypto
Driver

Me too....both mods no problems. I know alot about chips and I can say that you are not hurting the computer itself. That isn't possible. Although it could be possible that the comp can't compensate for that much air flow, thus hurting other parts. But that seems EXTREMELY unlilkely....It's not that much more air...

seems like a stupid mechanic comment to me
Old 09-04-02, 12:07 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never-Ever take your car back to this mechanic. He is a complete and utter idiot.
Old 09-04-02, 12:42 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Hurt, NO! Confuse, Yes.

If the computer uses a lookup table as many do, the various parameters and settings may not compute (be in the table) if too many parameters are outside what was expected at the time the programming was done.

You may not notice that the engine is running extremely lean at one particular RPM range and load factor until you discover a hole burned in a piston or two at 70k(??) or more.
Old 09-04-02, 08:16 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Given the number of air-pod's and big bore exhaust systems fitted just by this forum, I think by now we would have heard if this was going to cause any real problems
Old 09-04-02, 09:02 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

hey clint let me know when your ready for a near stock sc400 so we can trade. heh
Old 09-04-02, 10:58 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Clint....Im sure you have been asked this 500 times...
what size and maker are the wheels on your SC? Is your car lowered in that pic (your sign.)?
Old 09-05-02, 01:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sc300tt
Never-Ever take your car back to this mechanic. He is a complete and utter idiot.
I second this whole-heartedly
Old 09-05-02, 01:53 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I couldnt wait for Clint to answer...I looked in archives (shoulda done that before)....and they seem to be 19X9 inch Moda R6's...which unfortunately from what I also gathered are not made anymore.
Old 09-05-02, 02:07 AM
maajr
Driver School Candidate

Cool Thanks

Thanks for all your opinions.

I'm having my sway bar links changed Oct. 1. That's the only thing I 'need' to do. I'm getting my first real estate check this month which will be pretty big. I should be frugile, but I'm toying with some ideas.

What would you guys do to a SC300 with 169,650 miles?

There's a Greddy MX exhaust for sale at some site. From 1050 to 800ish. This is something I don't really need, but would be nice.

I got Tokico shocks and an air filter this year and replaced my timing belt 2 years ago.

Thanks again
Old 09-05-02, 07:48 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

False:

moda r6's are still made, i just bought some a few months ago. This lil place called tire rack . c o m. they don't allow you to order the 19's for the lex sc so you got to order them for another lexus. i got 18x8's and 18x9's because there are a good number of potholes out here when you get on the country roads.
Old 09-06-02, 11:55 AM
Lvangundy

This isn't the first time I've heard this..

I think what is more correct to say is that older cars which don't have a 'learning computer' can't adjust to compensate for changes made to the exhaust and intake. This may be different for the intake becuase the MAF (mass airflow sensor) can make some (not sure what) adjustments. The exhaust could be different becuase there are no sensors besides the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system.

I think newer cars have the ability to adjust timing and air fuel mixtures based on what the computer senses. I'm not saying that NO performance gains can be made by changing the exhaust and intakes (just look at some dyno's) but I think the gain could be greater with a 'smart' computer.

I'm almost positive the first gen LS's do not have a learning computer like the newer model Lexus's do.
Old 09-06-02, 01:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 95 SC does have a learning computer I can vouch for that my car picked up a crazy amount of power over the span of 2 weeks once i got the ECU to quit wigging out and having to reset it from a wiring issue
Old 09-09-02, 12:30 AM
maajr
Driver School Candidate

Cool What about 92's?

Bean's vouching for his 95...Can anyone vouch for the 92?

Quick Reply: Mods hurt the computer??