SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help cannot figure out stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 04:12 PM
cormier88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cannot figure out stereo

OK.... so I bought a double din and I tried to install it with a METRA part # 70-8112 and my unit powers up but it isnt loud at all and the factory sub dosent work... i only get a pre amp type sound..... i cant think of anything else to do for a fix....
Old 05-04-11, 04:30 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Lose the Metra wire harness and wire it straight to the factory amp. I used that same wire harness kit and it gave me nothing but headaches. Its gonna give you lots of engine noise, no matter what you do.

I tried several ground loop isolator adapters, different grounds with the same results.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rom-raine.html
Old 05-04-11, 06:26 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

funny i came here to post up pics of how i wired my deck using the metra harness in another thread. but since your thread is new and you need help i will do it here. the metra harness is good because it allows you to not hack your factory harness. there is a solution for alternator noise. the solution requires a little extra work but worth it. as the other guy said ground loop isolators are a waste of time and money. the solution is this. (RUN NEW SPEAKER WIRE) assuming you bought a new deck with a good built in amp. if you bought an ampless deck your screwed. if you have never run new speaker wires dont be intimidated it is easy as pie. im not gonna tell you how to run speaker wires because there is hundreds of tutorials on google. i will show you how to wire your harness and hook up the factory sub amp. the factory 4 channel amp will not be used. if you have a nakamichi system it may differ from how i wired my pioneer system. there is another thread to refer to about that called raines factory sub amp hookup or something like that. this is a simple wiring job and when you are done you should have a working sub amp,power antenna and all your cabin speakers run off the new head unit's built in amp. give me a second to load up my pics.
Old 05-04-11, 06:36 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

simply put if you are too lazy to run new speaker wires then you should not be installing your deck yourself. i have been discussing this topic this week and a lot of people whined when i said run new wires. however i promise it is worth it and not as hard as people make it out to be.
Old 05-04-11, 06:39 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

we are going to eliminate the rca jacks that are on your metra harness. these are the source of the alternator noise. i tried using them as did others always the same result. running new wires to your aftermarket head unit fixes the noise.
Old 05-04-11, 06:44 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

the only wires you will use from the metra harness are the yellow=battery,the red=ignition, the black=ground,and the blue=remote/power antenna.wire them up you already know how i use butt connecters for speed and reliability. black tape the unused wires to keep em tight. and from shorting.ie the dimmer wire the rcas ect.
Old 05-04-11, 06:49 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

for wiring the amp you will need some tap splice connectors. these guys keep you from hacking the amp wires. you will also need some rca to speaker wire. available at radioshack. while your at the shack pick up your new speaker wire. i believe i used 16 awg. or 14 is good. make sure you have plenty butt connectors for wiring the speakers.
Old 05-04-11, 06:57 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

i will refer you to raines thread to know which wires to tap into for hooking up the amp. note he cut the wires. argh. this is why you bought the tap connectors. but credit is due to raine for figuring out which wires to use. however note that i did not splice any wires anywhere in my system. the anteena thing in rains thread i dont understand. because i had no problem hooking my antenna up like it is supposed to be and it works fine. goes up when the deck powers on and down when powered off. maybe you need his splice method for the nakamichi system idk but not the pioneer. just plug in your antenna to the new deck. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html
here you can see wher i wired the rca to speaker wire into the tap connectors. sorry for the black tape but i didnt want to rewrap it just for the pics.also note you will only use 1 rca plug to wire into the amp it is 1 sub after all

Last edited by bleedspeed; 05-04-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 07:01 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run your speaker wires and your RCA/Power wires apart. That gives you interference. You stereo isnt loud because you probably have the stock amp connected and i dont think you can use it with an aftermarket headunit. As previously stated, run new wire. Its an easy solution and alot cleaner too!
Old 05-04-11, 07:34 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

so now that you have power to your deck and your antenna. and have wired the audio to the amp. all you have left is to run your new speaker wires. sorry no pics for this because it was done months ago. start by pulling the door threshholds off both sides. they just pull up and off there are no screws. then remove the plastic molding in the front corners of the doors. these moldings hold the carpet in place so they have to come out and they also block access to the rubber boots that run from your doors to inside the cabin under the dash. you will run the front speakers wires along these black rubber boots into your doors and to the speakers. now i hope you got that wish i had taken pics. but i did it like this. those rubber boots probably are torn already at the doorjam side. so with your deck hooked up power it up and cut a piece of wire long enough to trace which speakers are which. strip 1 speaker wire at a time on your head units harness and trace which speaker is which until you have all the speakers mapped to there correct channel mark each speaker channel lead with some masking tape and a pen i.e. fl,fr,rl,rr. note make sure to get speaker wire that has a visible stripe. the stripe should be negative lead. so now that you know which channels to wire each speaker to start running your 4 speaker wires. start at the deck wire 1 speaker at a time. for the front speakers this is the hardest part. use your but connectors and wire the first speaker on the right side run the wire underneath the dash to the rubber boot on the side wall under your dash. now if your boot is torn you can just run the wire through the tear and along the outside of the boot then poke a hole in the boot where it meets the door run your wire through the hole you made and into the door take out the speaker and get your wire ran to the factory plug. cut the factory speaker plug with enough wire left to hook up to. use the but connectors to hook up your new speaker wire to the factory plug. now take black tape and wrap the black rubber boot so that your new wire is covered and safe. i ran the wire along the back side of the boot, you cant even tell its there. the reason i had you run the wire along the outside of the boot is because running inside the boot would require removing your doors. repeat for the driver side. the rear speakers are easy run your rear speaker leads on the passenger side under the carpet along the door jam and along the side of your rear seat. it is best to remove your rear seat to do this so you can make use of the rubber boot behind the seat back that ports into the trunk. remove the seat passenger side panels and rear dash board. at this point i hope you bought new 4'' speakers to go in your rear dash. because the factory ones are soldered and a pain to wire up. why they soldered the rears but not the fronts i will never understand. any how run your new wires through the rubber boot into your trunk and wire up the speakers. remember after you wire each speaker power up your deck and make sure you have it wired to the right channel by fading to it. you dont wanna get your channels mixed up i made that mistake and that is the only reason you got to see those pics because i had to pull my deck back out and rewire 2 channels. good luck and ask questions here if you need help with anything. i will try to snap a pic of the front speaker leads running along the rubber boot tomorrow to give you a clear image of what i did.
Old 05-04-11, 07:39 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
run your speaker wires and your RCA/Power wires apart. That gives you interference. You stereo isnt loud because you probably have the stock amp connected and i dont think you can use it with an aftermarket headunit. As previously stated, run new wire. Its an easy solution and alot cleaner too!
what he means is that power wires cannot be ran next to rca wires. the engine noise bleeds into the rcas. and this is exactly why the metra harness is a faulty design because the power wires are mounted right next to the rcas. this why using the rcas does not work and never will not even with ground loop isolators. because it is not a ground problem but a engine noise bleeding into the rcas problem. i repeat you can not use the rca leads that are on the metra harness. ah 1 more thing! the subwoofer output on your new head unit. i hope you bought a deck with a subwoofer output if not this whole tute is pointless. but i thought i would point out that the sub output is most likely way higher voltage then what was running to your factory amp from the stock head unit. this is a bonus! more power to your sub amp= louder sub. once you get done hooking this all up you will want to replace the factory sub next. for that i refer you to my thread on installing a new sub in the factory location. still in progress.heres the link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rear-deck.html

Last edited by bleedspeed; 05-04-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 07:43 PM
cormier88
Driver School Candidate

awesome guys... I will do exactly this! Thanks a ton ill post what I did in my build thread "project Knightrider"
Old 05-04-11, 08:00 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
what he means is that power wires cannot be ran next to rca wires. the engine noise bleeds into the rcas. and this is exactly why the metra harness is a faulty design because the power wires are mounted right next to the rcas. this why using the rcas does not work and never will not even with ground loop isolators. because it is not a ground problem but a engine noise bleeding into the rcas problem. i repeat you can not use the rca leads that are on the metra harness. ah 1 more thing! the subwoofer output on your new head unit. i hope you bought a deck with a subwoofer output if not this whole tute is pointless. but i thought i would point out that the sub output is most likely way higher voltage then what was running to your factory amp from the stock head unit. this is a bonus! more power to your sub amp= louder sub. once you get done hooking this all up you will want to replace the factory sub next. for that i refer you to my thread on installing a new sub in the factory location. still in progress.
lol...yuyup. i was on my phone and couldnt go into lengthy detail! Thanks!!