Advice for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 04:02 PM
DjRadical3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a newbie.

Whats up guys.

New to the forums, and new to Lexus! Just bought my own 99 sc300. So of course I have some questions. I have been doing much reading and studying up on this. And yes! have used the search lol

So basically my main goal is to know my engine in and out and be able to learn to do things myself along with my pops. Im fairly savy with being able to take things apart, and put them back together the right way and learn what everything is an how it works. Google and searches are my very best friends.

So what im getting at here is as far as modifications go to the engine..what direction should I go for around $2000-$300. Gonna say my target is around 400 to 500 horsepower.

So any tips or suggestions would be awesome, or just anything you may think I should be familiar with as I am completely noob to this lol

Thanks guys
Old 05-09-11, 05:22 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to clublexus. SC300 is a great platform and there are many options to be had to reach your goal. However, considering your budget, you will have to compromise a little. There are NA-T kits (bolt-on turbo kit to your stock engine)that are affordable as well as 1JZ engine swaps but whichever direction you take will end up costing you more than $2000.

Look in to performance/maintenance section as well as club NA-T forum for FI informations.

But really, spend that money on maintenance prior to doing any mods.
Old 05-09-11, 05:27 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Driftmotion.com sells NA-T turbo kits for about $1500. Good luck with your car!
Old 05-09-11, 05:56 PM
DjRadical3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uras300
Welcome to clublexus. SC300 is a great platform and there are many options to be had to reach your goal. However, considering your budget, you will have to compromise a little. There are NA-T kits (bolt-on turbo kit to your stock engine)that are affordable as well as 1JZ engine swaps but whichever direction you take will end up costing you more than $2000.

Look in to performance/maintenance section as well as club NA-T forum for FI informations.

But really, spend that money on maintenance prior to doing any mods.
What I really meant was to start off I wanna spend about 2 to 3 grand. I have 6 grand left after buying the car and doing maintenance. But I still need rims and tires, possibly a lip kit or body kit, exhaust system and thats about it I guess.

Do the NA-t kits require me to change the head or anything else or no just throw the kit on there and im done?

And also what kind of exhaust should I get thats not too expensive? I want something medium toned to deep, not no lawn mower rice burner.
Old 05-09-11, 06:14 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the exhaust question, its pretty rare to find a 2JZ motor produce a lawnmower rice burner sound. So basically with any exhaust set up you choose, you will be very happy.
Old 05-09-11, 06:19 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DjRadical3
What I really meant was to start off I wanna spend about 2 to 3 grand. I have 6 grand left after buying the car and doing maintenance. But I still need rims and tires, possibly a lip kit or body kit, exhaust system and thats about it I guess.

Do the NA-t kits require me to change the head or anything else or no just throw the kit on there and im done?

And also what kind of exhaust should I get thats not too expensive? I want something medium toned to deep, not no lawn mower rice burner.
The NA-T kits will require you to change some internal parts since your 1999 sc300 has a ge vvti if your goal is around 500.
Old 05-09-11, 06:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mak89
The NA-T kits will require you to change some internal parts since your 1999 sc300 has a ge vvti if your goal is around 500.
If you have to change the internals that takes all the fun out of it.

I always thought the point of na-t was having a stock engine with an added turbo? Anyways im a v8 guy so i have alot to learn on this as well.

If you have to pay someone to take youre engine apart and basically rebuild it---seems to me like an engine swap would be the best choice.

I know forsure there are people who have just bolted on their turbo kits but I dont know if tgheyre making that sort of hp your looking for.

Good luck
Old 05-09-11, 06:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Allaretake
Driftmotion.com sells NA-T turbo kits for about $1500. Good luck with your car!
um..... yeah.

I would not advise that route to anyone. Do it once. Do it right. Don't cheap out. If you can't afford it now. Save up and buy the good ****. You will not be happy with a $1500 Turbo kit if you've ever been or driven a properly boosted SC.
Old 05-09-11, 07:32 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus, 3 grand?

Drop in a 2jzgte swap.

BPU the twins, and beat the shyte out of it all day, every day.

You will love life at the 400-430hp it will put out for sure.

If you sell the stock GE and get some more change to blow, a medium single will go from loving life to begging for it!
Old 05-09-11, 07:52 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On the motors in the sc300 the best bang for your horsepower buck in to turbo the car. If I where you and was sitting on 6 grand to play with I would spend whats necessary to get good parts for the engine build. If you plan on a swap to a manual transmission now would be the time. There will always be time for wheels and body stuff, I'd rather go like stink in a stock bodied sc than have every body part out there and be slow.

The only internal part you might need to change is the headgasket. If you want to run big boost you need to swap in a thicker gasket to lower the static compression ratio into more turbo friendly territory. With good parts and a good tune you can into 400hp territory before the higher compression of the ge motor starts to hold you back.

Check out some of the build threads here and see what combinations others are looking at and then decide where you want to go.
Old 05-09-11, 09:13 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
um..... yeah.

I would not advise that route to anyone. Do it once. Do it right. Don't cheap out. If you can't afford it now. Save up and buy the good ****. You will not be happy with a $1500 Turbo kit if you've ever been or driven a properly boosted SC.
Those are crappy? I know that website was recommended to me by someone else here who I thought was pretty knowledgeable. If you're only gunning for like 8-10PSI or like 100-150hp aren't they alright? Or do they just fall apart like ebay kits?
Old 05-09-11, 11:09 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

for your exhaust question... i would say your best bet is a custom set up. you can get the 5zigen's or blitz setups that look HELLA clean for like $800 bucks... but they're just axel backs. buy yourself a couple magnaflow mufflers... 14829's fit perfect, and i believe 14851's are the same measurements but louder tone. my mufflers with custom piping from the cats back ran me about $400.
Old 09-19-11, 12:23 PM
BradHoff
Driver

question...i bought my magnaflow 14829s to the shop today and after putting my 95 sc400 on the lift they said the dimensions weren't right and the mufflers would be too close to the rear tire and it wouldnt fit in the heat shield housing... i dont know if i bought the wrong type but they said they needed to be offset and not the "straight through" type of muffler, are they giving me bs or did i buy the "wrong ones".

P.S. i dont got any crazy wheel offsets and the mufflers say their universal
Old 09-19-11, 04:21 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

iv'e seen a lot of the supra guys and sc300 guys as well use the xs power kit for $1750 on clubna-t and this is the kit i am also going to use in the future. I believe its a great kit for anyone who has a goal of 300-400 rwhp on a budget.
Old 09-19-11, 04:57 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Dude you got six stacks....sell the 2jz-ge motor/trans/ecu and get the 2jz-gte with the 6speed box behind it...that would deplete but save up for the other things....and everything will be butter...IMO thats what I would do...but the other routes are good too....GL with ur build thou

Quick Reply: Advice for a newbie.