SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Power Steering Whine - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 10:33 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Power Steering Whine - What to do?

My SC400 is on its last legs. The suspension feels like crap, but I have a full set of suspension bushings from Armstrong. The engine and trans however, are seriously looking about toast. I know I need a new TPS, or I just need to fiddle with the sensor I have now and hope it makes the Check Engine light go off so I can get this thing smogged. It currently (at least last time I scanned it) has these check engine codes:

DTC:41 - something about the TPS circuit being bad
DTC:25 - mixture control continuously lean.

and finally I get this stupid whine, as of this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpoLtzZx5Q8

I'm turning the steering wheel left and right in the video to show the sound and impact on the engine you can hear.

Its seriously loud, and I can feel the car just pulling. I'm going through gas like crazy as well.

I'm very torn, because in the short time I've had this car, I've actually grown kind of fond of it. I'd love to just toss in a craigslist motor and trans from an old LS400 or SC400, but money is tight, and I need a crazy deal to be able to do the swap. Doing the swap is no problem, its just getting the parts.

Now here's the other thing that keeps coming back into my head, and it sounds like even more money but ultimately its what I'd rather do...

I have a good auto tranny and driveshaft from an SC300. So wouldn't I just need a good 2JZ-GE and ECU to be able to swap in and replace my bad SC4 engine/tranny?

I'm just hung up on this, as spending money to replace a couple parts on a 1UF with 250,000 miles seems like a dumb idea, as does replacing the seal on the tranny in hopes that it all the sudden bounces back from all the jerking and leaking its doing now.
Old 05-11-11, 10:45 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to have that whine it was extremely embarrassing when pulling up to your group of friends and all they hear is that whine.

Its your PS fluid most likely to have air in the system OR the fluid hasn't been changed. If your fluid is nice and cherry red then might be your pump?
Old 05-11-11, 10:52 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

It looks like diarrhea, lol. I looked at it yesterday, and its all brown and nasty, and its kind of shooting upwards when the cap is off. Not enough to spill out, but it looks like it wants to. Thanks!
Old 05-11-11, 10:54 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low fluid, bad pump, leaky line.

not a fun sound, there is a DIY on how to change the line and the pump isn't too hard to change either.
Old 05-11-11, 10:58 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Too much fluid is bad as well! Change it! shouldn't cost more than like 10 bucks for fluid

http://my.is/forums/f67/is300-power-...-flush-340996/
^ That will be your friend
Old 05-11-11, 11:19 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

Nice. You guys saved the day. I was checking out a bunch of options, but nothings better than a few bucks to solve this. Hopefully the TPS is just a remove, clean, and reinstall. At least it'll put me back in business
Old 05-11-11, 11:45 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnG_9-VK84s

Thats how mine sounded like, flushed the PS and its quiet now