SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

An idea for all the New batch of SC people... Mods please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 07:37 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the active members are usually too nice to the noobs and the noobs get too butt hurt when someone tells them that goes against what they've been getting told by mommy.

a suggestion could be a small questions thread like what they have over on zilvia's chat section. with the subtitle of "hey noob, come check this out before you hit 'new thread.'"
Old 05-11-11, 07:37 PM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus95
It is a good idea but that also can make it harder on people like me. I've been here for a while and still have less than 100 posts. The comment about the high schooler part is a little offensive. I myself am still in high school and not all of us make a ton of stupid threads and do untasteful mods. I guess i'm not like some of them, I don't have the money to mod my sc400 the way I would want to so I'm just leaving it stock until that time comes.
Regardless,if you have 50 posts or not we are not talking about people like you. If you don't make pointless and stupid posts u shouldn't be defending yourself you are not guilty lol.
Old 05-11-11, 07:39 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

as one of the "new" people. How about a suggestion.
Make a thread - of FAQ's
alphabetically list commonly searched for items/questions etc.
then under each 'heading' have a few links of what can be considered the best threads where the answer or topic has been covered before.

Ill gladly admit, i know what a search button is for, and after using it a few times if i would feel lazy to read through 50 different threads (because you are right, there are too many) but many dont have the actual answer(s) or pertain to my situation exactly where i would feel stupid bringing up a 6 year old thread to ask a question of which im sure someone here can answer immediately.

Now that doesnt fix the threads about the AMG soarer, or the SC500
but my .02 is if you want to complain great go for it but why not contribute to a solution at the same time?
Old 05-11-11, 07:40 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

I agree with the op completely. Is it me or are most of these dumb threads started by guys with SC400s? They're gonna give the rest of us 1uz guys a bad rep! Just kidding...
Old 05-11-11, 07:43 PM
InhumaneSC
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
So, as all of you have seen in the past few days/weeks there has been a Huge overflow of "new" sc owners coming to clublexus.

I dont know about you guys but I am finding myself logging on less and less frequently because of all the garbage threads that are being posted by people with 50 post's or less. Some of my favorites that have already been posted and are now turning into a broken record...

I agree that something needs to be done about this, however the only bad thing i see in this idea is a bunch of thread jacking as noobs post on other peoples threads to try to get their questions asked more quickly. I dont think there is a way to prevent people from being to lazy to search...maybe an auto search before thread post feature? haha jk Also do you have a picture of the car you posted from the side? Looks great.
Old 05-11-11, 07:45 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
coming from the new guy perspective i can say a few things about this. number 1 jumping through hoops drives people away. if you just want a bunch of lurkers and no new active members then by all means make a 100 post rule. 50 is not so bad though. it does not matter what a forum is about there are always going to be dumb questions and people that hate the dumb questions. i for one started creeping around here when i got the sc and didnt say much just kinda used what threads i needed. now i am getting more into my car and made my first question post recently. granted it was a newb question but the response i got was surprisingly friendly and helpful. so far everyone has been kind here and i think stepping outside the door to let someone in is one of the oldest nicest gestures anyone can give. i have laughed at my share of dumb posts as well. but not to say that those dumb questions are ruining this forum. if the title looks dumb you can skip over it. i have so many hobbies and for every hobby there is a forum full of old guys and new guys and there is always newbs posting dumb questions and old guys who either bash them or help them. whats wrong with helping the less informed members? i guess my point is dont turn into grumpy old men just cuz the kids are walking on your grass. build them a path and they shall follow it.

Surprisingly insightful.

just to be clear tho, Im not saying create a huge hoop to jump threw, they can post, and contribute. people with under 50 post's just wouldn't be able to CREATE a NEW thread.

Now this may not be a fix to the problem as a whole but i think it would be a start, Maybe even 30 post's whatever the number is irellevent. what we need is something in place to help counter this issue. only 3 viable ways would be...
1. a Post system such as i have suggested
2. Get WAAAY more mod's, or at least "Sub" mods to help clean up post's, threads, and sections
3. last one is iffy, a Rep system. some times it works, but most of the time just leads to Elitism
Old 05-11-11, 07:56 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

how about submitting new threads to a mod for approval for people under 50 posts with a possible 72 hour wait for approval? that would deter the dumb questions and make people think before submitting. more work for the mods i know. but at least it does not exclude newbs from posting. or at least an faq for newbs as suggested above. most good forums have an faq and its the first thing you see upon joining.
Old 05-11-11, 07:57 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Guys, I know this might sound odd, but would anyone be interested in starting an AIM chat room so we could talk there?

Grant, get online!
lol I would love to have a bromance session but im out for the night, i have to be at work at 5am tomorrow

Keep this thread going, I want to see some mods post in here with some answers or something

Keep it on topic, and no personal attacks, I DONT want this locked. this is an issue that so far most of you feel the same way as I do. lets keep it civilized and collected so it will get noticed
Old 05-11-11, 08:00 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a good night JDMuscle. enjoy your shift tomorrow.

@ ArodDaLob I think we have good enough coverage on the some basic stuff. I do agree with someone else said an in-depth search tutorial would be great!
Old 05-11-11, 08:06 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

I disagree, it's a forum! Forums are for people with something in common to come together, share stories, ask and answer questions. Having 1200 posts of "hey, looks cool" or "thread subscribed" doesn't mean give someone more of a right to start new threads. Search features usually yield crappy results. I don't care if that question was answered 2 years ago. I want an answer to MY question! Times change and so do answers, so as you so called veterans go to say "use the search" think to see if you can answer that persons question instead
Old 05-11-11, 08:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Guys a few simple comments and requests.

1) Please stop commenting in every 'newb' member thread "Oh man, another <150 post wonder creating a repost". You're bumping threads, drawing more and more attention to the problem and when 10 people do it its 100x worse. Knock it off and you'll help EVERYONE out.

2) IT IS A FACT OF FORUM LIFE that reposts happen and some new members don't search. THAT WILL NEVER EVER NEVER CHANGE no matter how much you complain or respond to their threads to tell them to 'use search'. CL has been around for 10+ years and if you think you've seen a lot of it, think about the true OGs here on CL who created those original threads 10 years ago and are still active.

Take it from someone who has watched it a long time... it comes and goes in waves. Recognize that you're at a high point right now.

3) Most of those OGs I respect either move on from the repost threads without bumping them or (better yet) help the new members better understand what they could do better either by answering their question with suggestions or teach them to search and give them some good links. Those that regularly help other members out like that are the folks we try to tap to be moderators.

We are in the middle of a moderator nomination cycle right now. We are definitely way down on active SC forum moderators and I've been trying to spend more time here over the last few days. Won't be too long before we've got some help with the problem threads, but nothing should stop you guys from pitching in too. This is YOUR community, act like it. Help the new guys feel welcome and get acclimated instead of taking joy in shanking them.

4) OP: this thread is a REPOST x 10 I'm not going to repeat everything I said in those older threads so I'll link you to a good one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sit...xperience.html

We've got a lot of good stuff upcoming for CL in the very near future with a graphic refresh, updated front page, better linkages to social media, etc. The new crop of moderator additions will hopefully help get things better organized as we continue to grow. After that stuff gets done I'll see if we can't do some sort of better required reading for 'how to search' at signup and I plan to get the new moderators involved in some standardization of FAQs, DIYs etc. for each model forum.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-11-11 at 08:39 PM.