SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Front Brakes Swapped To The Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 12:26 AM
JoshRReese
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Front Brakes Swapped To The Rear?

Im pretty sure this wont work, but I wanted to get confirmation from you guys. Id love to put fronts on back and get a bbk up front... If I can.
Old 05-13-11, 12:28 AM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

caliper wont be able to bolt up.
Old 05-13-11, 03:17 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure it can be done with some ingenuity and some brackets...but why go through all that trouble when you can get a TT calipers that are oh so better looking.
Old 05-13-11, 09:34 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't recommend this. Not only does it not bolt on but brake bias will be thrown off to the rear. Front are suppose to do most of the braking. Its more important to have a balanced system.
Old 05-13-11, 10:32 AM
JoshRReese
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
caliper wont be able to bolt up.
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I'm sure it can be done with some ingenuity and some brackets...but why go through all that trouble when you can get a TT calipers that are oh so better looking.
Because I already have the SC4 brakes and I wouldntt have to buy the TT brakes. The look is fine, but Im more after function and practicality.

Originally Posted by One HoT
I wouldn't recommend this. Not only does it not bolt on but brake bias will be thrown off to the rear. Front are suppose to do most of the braking. Its more important to have a balanced system.
You must have missed the part where I said "Id love to put fronts on back and get a bbk up front"
Old 05-13-11, 11:46 AM
markstoys
Driver School Candidate

You must have missed the part where I said "Id love to put fronts on back and get a bbk up front"

That is a lot of caliper piston area for the rear, even with a kit in front. Make sure you can get the front balanced with the rear. I don't know, but I bet it will be hard to find front calipers with enough piston area to balance it out--even if they are six or eight piston calipers (the pistons in those are very small). Piston area ratios are what keeps the brakes balanced properly.

If you are going with an adjustable aftermarket master cylinder as part of your BBK, then you could definitely do it-- but messing with brake balance can be very dangerous.

Mark
Old 05-23-11, 03:50 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by markstoys
That is a lot of caliper piston area for the rear, even with a kit in front. Make sure you can get the front balanced with the rear. I don't know, but I bet it will be hard to find front calipers with enough piston area to balance it out--even if they are six or eight piston calipers (the pistons in those are very small). Piston area ratios are what keeps the brakes balanced properly.

If you are going with an adjustable aftermarket master cylinder as part of your BBK, then you could definitely do it-- but messing with brake balance can be very dangerous.

Mark
^^ This is the truth. Even if the SC400 calipers could be made to bolt up the piston area is going to be far too much to allow the correct balance of front to rear brake bias that was engineered into your car. For dedicated racecars a brake bias control is sometimes used for this very purpose but those cars NEVER see street duty. Using such a device correctly for a custom racecar almost mandates the skill and knowledge of a braking systems engineer.

I didn't catch what car you had but if you have an SC300 you can put SC400 rear calipers on safely enough.

Otherwise as another poster mentioned you could just get a set of Supra TT rear calipers and discs and use those since they should balance well with your TT front caliper or LS400 front caliper conversion.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-23-11 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 06:06 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

regardless if you know how to weld and fab it can be done. i'd imagine that you would have to get some soft of controller to balance out things front to back. anything is possible. but these guys have been around the sc scene longer than i have so if they may be right.
Old 05-23-11, 03:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

This is a thread which concerns the subject of braking bias and stock vs TT rear brakes in that regard.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...upra-tt-2.html
Old 05-23-11, 09:58 PM
zuma1597
Driver School Candidate

Its not worth the effort. your front brakes do most of the work. unless your racing or towing. upgrading your rear doesn't get you much.