SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clear Tail Lights a success!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 02:29 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx. I luv this look. Much better than the stock. And WAY better than spending 600-1200$ + my stock lights for about the same thing.
Old 09-10-02, 12:27 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey
I hope everyone found my instructions useful i can see " jimmit" has, his lights look really good he did a good job on them, they look just as good as mine! but anyway i just wanted to answer some of your questions; 1st as long as you have red bulbs for the brake lights and either red or yellow for the turn signal its perfectly legal (well at least in california). 2nd no there not altezza's i dont like them either. 3rd they wont leak as long as u seal them up right. and if you can do it well, your car will look much better. If you have anyother questions just go to the pic galery and look for a white sc4 with these lights, thats my car and I have posted instructions on how to open, fix,and seal the lights up.
Old 09-10-02, 07:49 AM
SilverLexoNDuBzZ
Driver School Candidate

what do you set the taillight on when you put it in the oven ,on the grille or ???? do I have to cut any wires or should I screw somethin up when cuttin or its like I just take out the color inserts??
**im kind of slow slow if anyone can help by posting up a picture of instruction that would be helpful*Thanks
Old 09-10-02, 11:20 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx lexiss. You lights look amazing but I think it looks best on a white SC. It looks awesome at night on a gold one tho. Much better than having altezza's. I cant stand those anymore. As for your question silverlex I put my lights on the grill and it turned out fine maily because you dont have to keep them in the long enough to the plastic gets soft so the grill should work out fine. I use the grill on both my lights and nothing happened. Whatever happens dont cut any wires. There not need for cutting anything. After you take the lights out of the body you can see the bulbs connected to the lights. Just unplug those bulbs and thats all. You wont have to unhook any thing or cut anything. Its actually VERY simple to do this. You dont need to spend any money unless you want to use some kind of plastic polish but you dont really need to. I didnt want to break anything to get the color inserts out to I took about 30 minutes on getting the inserts out without breaking it. Once you open the lights you will be able to see that if you cut this thin gray plastic thing you can just pop the inserts right out but I decided to do it a different way so if I ever wanted or needed to put the inserts back in I could. If you wanna know how to do it that way I can post but but after seeing the lights with no inserts I dont thikn I would ever put them back in. Lexus should have made the lights like this. They're amazing. Trust me its a very simple process to do. It can be a little time consuiming but for the results its really worth it. Oh and if you get a little glue like on the lights or anywhere else dont worry. I got glue EVERYWHERE including the kitchen tiles and butter knife and everything I came in contact with. Dont worry about the glue. Even it it dries up you can get it off with no problem. Go out a get some Goo gone. Theres different kinds so make sure u get the one that gets of lables glue and crayon. Put some of that on a paper napkin and wipe the glue right off. It works wonders true me. It'll make ur lights shiny too. After I put the lights back on I put some 3M rubbing compound on it for a nice smooth feel. They turned out great thanx to lexiss. He started the whole thing. Good luck with yours. Skill level for this is like 1 1/2 on a scale of 50. Its one of the easist things I've done. Taking the tail lights out of teh car was 100 times easier than taking the headlights out. I think I need to open them. I tried to clean it with water and dishwashing liquid but it didnt work. It left fog on the inside and some water spots. I tried a hair dryer and that didnt work and then I washed them again and stuck them in teh over and they worked but left them foggy after they cooled. I'll try to figure something else out. Anyways sorry for teh long reply but good luck its real easy to do
Old 09-10-02, 12:28 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

nice

guess i couldve saved a few bucks from sending mine out to get done

Before anyone asks: the company took my lights and deposit.........havent seen the lights or talked with them for months......looks like they took my money ........for now
Old 09-10-02, 02:27 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Emerald,
Exactly how long have they had them. I am curious to know,
from what they stated, it takes about six to eigth weeks. Has it been longer than that? because I am considering doing the smoke version. Which matches nicely with the dark green
Old 09-10-02, 03:26 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Worked like a Charm for me!!

Originally posted by jimmit
Taking the tail lights out of teh car was 100 times easier than taking the headlights out. I think I need to open them. I tried to clean it with water and dishwashing liquid but it didnt work. It left fog on the inside and some water spots. I tried a hair dryer and that didnt work and then I washed them again and stuck them in teh over and they worked but left them foggy after they cooled. I'll try to figure something else out.
Jimmit
I can not understand why cleaning out your Headlights did not work like it should have for you. Using a dishwashing detergent like ‘Casade’ Gel (Not a dishwashing soap detergent) and a rinse agent like ‘Jet-Dry’ should have eliminated any water spot residue. Using a ‘Gun’ type hair drying to force the air flow into the Headlamp should allow it to dry out quickly.
You will experience the Headlamp fogging up during and after you dry it out.
This will dissipate while the temperature of the inside equalizes with the outside temperature of the Headlamp.
Old 09-10-02, 04:52 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ToeJam300: I sent off an extra set around June (mid June) .
They hadnt returned my last email or call from back in early Aug.
Since then Ive changed my mind (and the car) so I dont think they'd look good on it anymore

I gotta agree......theyre gonna look nice on your dark green car!
Old 09-10-02, 07:19 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

The fog did dry up after a while but its still not as good as the new one. The cut off line is much better and is very visible but its still a little blurred. I did notice that it is still yellow after washing it. I must have washed it like 5 or 6 times but it didnt get it as clear as the new one. I didnt expect any miricles but I thought it would be a little better than that. Maybe I did something wrong. I didnt use the jet dry thing. I dont know if that would make a difference. Would jet dry make them clear. I added some bleach in the water and dish washing soap. I didnt use detergent it was the liquid type soap. Hmm I dont know but I guess I must of done something wrong.
Old 09-11-02, 03:39 AM
SilverLexoNDuBzZ
Driver School Candidate

jimmit
Im thinking about taking the brake light bulb out so it can jus be 3 brake lights also what size bulb does the signal uses. I would like to get them in clear or silver bulbs???any suggestions also thank you for the other reply
Old 09-11-02, 01:06 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Silverlex I'm not 100% cure what you're trying to ask but if you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do then I dont know if its such a good idea. I think you're trying to keep only one brake light bulb in each tail light. There are a total of 2 tail lights. They're both next to each other in the middle section on the buttom. If you keep only on bulb in there you will get that yellow indicator on ur dash for your tail light. After a short time that bulb will burn out tho. I didnt have enough red bulbs so I had to leave on socket with no bulb and the yellow indicator was on all the time and then when I was looking at the lights with the brake lights on the bulb wasnt turning on and when I tried to see why it made a flash and burned out. So if you're trying to keep only one brake light in each housing it probably not a very good idea. Its kinda unsafe too because during the day the bulbs are not really visible. Having 2 bulbs in each housing helps it look like your brake lights are on. The CAL does light up pretty bright but that alone wont do the job. I dont know if I answered your question. If I didnt just post it again and I'll try to answer it. Oh and all the bulbs like the brake lights, turning indicator use a 1156 bulb. If you look at the lights you can see there are 2 types of sockets. the big ones and small ones. The big ones all use 1156 and the little ones just a wedge bulb.
Old 09-12-02, 03:58 AM
SilverLexoNDuBzZ
Driver School Candidate

jimmit I did it but I tell you this..I got very scared about putting my taillights in the oven...it wasnt no 1 2 3 step oh my god I had to put the taillights like 4 times at 175degrees until the last time I put them in I forgot to lower the degrees but I setted the time at 5:00minutes so I'm burning my lights at 500degrees but then it came out fine I split the lights took out the color inserts bam! I did it the next light was hard because I knew what I was doing...like you said do worry about the glue thing I had glue all over the place but not on my hands I had rubber gloves ..thanks to do-luck sc for starting this...I would like ask you do you know where they sell 1156 that are white when theyre not turned on but when theyre on its red so I can use them for my brake lights????Also do you think I can do my headlights as also its clear but it looks like I need to wipe the inside of the headlights you think I can do the same???

Last edited by SilverLexoNDuBzZ; 09-12-02 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-12-02, 04:04 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

your're welcome! i didn't do anything at all. just wanted everyone to know what everyone else was doing... and i'm sure this is a mod everyone is capable of.

not sure who sells 1156 bulbs that are white that emits red when lit. maybe LED'S???? i'm not sure. I'm looking into this now and if and when i find out anything, CL will be the first to know.

I'm sure you can do the same for your headlights. if you want it super clean... you could wet-sand it on the inside lense part only and do the same for the outside for a brilliant clear shine.
Old 09-12-02, 04:10 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question to those who have done this... do you re-seal the lights when it's cold... or when it's still warm and then stick it back in the oven to set?? this is the only part i'm confused about...

thanks!
Old 09-12-02, 04:18 AM
SilverLexoNDuBzZ
Driver School Candidate

for whoever who knows.....
my taillight thingy inside my dash is on eversince I remove and place back the taillights...How do I get rid of it?Can I reset it myself or I had to go to the dealer???

Quick Reply: Clear Tail Lights a success!!!!