SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Noobie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 02:13 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noobie questions

Hi guys and gals. I'm about to be (hopefully) the happy owner of a Soarer 2.5TT in a few weeks. I do have a few questions to ask about the car thou...

1. Is there a speed limiter and how do i get rid of it.
2. The radio frequency in japan (didn't know the 3 letter word was banned) only goes up to 87, can i just put in a lexus one instead or should i go aftermarket?
3. I need a front bumper and would like to get aftermarket one, where can i find them, i only seem to find bomex kits. Are there any other out there?
4. Any other quirks i need to know besides driving on the other side of the car

Thx.

Jo

Last edited by Dimcorner; 09-06-02 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-06-02, 03:54 AM
eXoJZZ30
Driver School Candidate

Hi N00bie,
here you go.. cause I feel good today being friday,

1. Is there a speed limiter and how do i get rid of it.
Greddy Speed Delimiter,
Apexi AFC + Speed Delimiter addon
-------------------------
2. The radio frequency in japan (didn't know the 3 letter word was banned) only goes up to 87, can i just put in a lexus one instead or should i go aftermarket?
Replace it and get a new unit, or get a FM Expander which is a couple hundred bucks for a good one in Australia.

3. I need a front bumper and would like to get aftermarket one, where can i find them, i only seem to find bomex kits. Are there any other out there?

www.gtautosports.com
Goto the SC300 section and you'll see alot of kits there. Better off getting a copy done at a reputable moulding joint so they compliment the curves of your car, I've seen alot of clipon kits look like a cheap rice addon.

4. Any other quirks i need to know besides driving on the other side of the car

Get your bushes changed as they wear out quickly due to a suspension fault from the factory.

Remember *factory* Soarers run rich so upp the boost abit to compensate or get a Apexi FMC to lean the ratio out.
Either way you win, or if you don't want to do either then when/if you race, accelerate gently (fit the point of balance) to keep a nice even mixture up the throttle range.

Well that last suggestion works for me with minimal embarassment of smoke blowing.
(NO my turbos are not shagged)

Hope this helps. Any more questions, don't ask me my mood will change shortly. =P

Regards
Ed
Old 09-06-02, 10:35 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

FL? What part of FL. I think we should get an SC meet in florida. I see a good amount of SCs from FL on this forum. I think it would be cool to have just SCs at a meet like the UK meet has. Anyways good luck with your soarer. I'm sure you'll love it. Any soarer/sc onwer will keep thier car forever unless it gets totally but in that case they usually want another one. Once you get a taste of it you'll never go back. I promise you
Old 09-06-02, 12:49 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

I'm in Miami. I am trading in my 1993 RX7 for it so i'm hoping I don't miss the handling of the FD . I will have more reliability thou so i guess that's a BIG plus . I still need to get a front bumper for it, you have any leads besides that web site?
Old 09-06-02, 02:23 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

How did you come about getting a sorrer? Pulling up next to someone when your driving on the Rt. side of the car would be soooo sweet.
Old 09-06-02, 02:50 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dimcorner, sent ya a PM
Old 09-06-02, 05:35 PM
sc300lover
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Dimcorner
I'm in Miami. I am trading in my 1993 RX7 for it so i'm hoping I don't miss the handling of the FD . I will have more reliability thou so i guess that's a BIG plus . I still need to get a front bumper for it, you have any leads besides that web site?

Hey what is every FD owner trading in their rx7 for a sc300/sc400/soarer?

A-Spec's selling his FD after he rebuilds the motor and probably getting a sc300, I sold my FD and want to get a sc300 soon(hopefully wanting to buy a house won't keep me from it), and you're getting Soarer..

I think they're hella nice and I need more reliability too..

Damn, small world...

-Kevin

(Black99 on rx7forum.com)

Last edited by sc300lover; 09-06-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 05:43 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

The only reason for me is that it's a RHD car, i think it's going to be really fun when i pull up to people . Anyhow i needed something to drive daily cuz the FD was my only car and it's not too easy on the gas if ya know what I mean.
Old 09-06-02, 06:13 PM
sc300lover
Driver School Candidate

Ahh... I see...

Well I hope you get it and everything goes well. Remember to post pics of it when you get it by the way..
Old 09-06-02, 10:28 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Soarer Sweetness....

1. And APEXi RSM (Rev Speed Meter) will remove the speed limiter.
2. It's probably better to get an aftermarket stereo to replace the japanese one.
3. Heaps of aftermarket syles out there. Are you a "drag combat" person or a "cruisin" person.
4. Quirks...
- Most probably get an APEXi SAFC (AUS$350-400 depending where you look) to tune the car down to US petrol standards. I dont think they have 100 octane off the pump in the US yet...
- If you dash starts blinking, there's a fix for it online (dont pay someone $600 to replace a $2 part... )
- Suspension bushes are a must. You've got a GT anyway, so you got the sporty *** suspension. (suspension travel of 2-3 cm is normal for stock suspension, yes it is firm)
- Slap an exhaust, intercooler and modify your intake... and you should be happy with the power.

Toan.

Last edited by Toan Nguyen; 09-06-02 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 10:43 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Unhappy

i want a SOARER too....
Old 09-06-02, 10:45 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

My friend has a V8 one he might sell. It has the air shocks adjustable supension....

He also has 2 R32 skylines and might be getting in a Sylvia, but mostly imports front clips/engine/trannys/anything else.
Old 09-07-02, 01:41 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Dimcorner

Where in Miami? I'm up in Ft Lauderdale, out west near the Sawgrass. I'd love to see the Soarer when you get it, and make a couple runs up the street against you.

Welcome to ClubLexus!

And about a Florida meet, YES we need one. There are a lot of SC's down here, and a lot of other CL members too!

SR
Old 09-07-02, 03:01 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

Where in Miami? I'm up in Ft Lauderdale, out west near the Sawgrass. I'd love to see the Soarer when you get it, and make a couple runs up the street against you.

Welcome to ClubLexus!

And about a Florida meet, YES we need one. There are a lot of SC's down here, and a lot of other CL members too!

SR
I'd have a better chance with my FD , but it was mostly set up for road race/auto X. Similarly modded FD's like mine run almost 12 flat. I dunno what to do with the Soarer yet thou... I'm thinking of making it just a quick cruiser, maybe a nice sleeper to beat up on S4's
Old 09-08-02, 01:25 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Hay, i have another question...

I might have access to a 6sp supra tranny... does it bolt right up? also, do i have to make any changes to the interior dash in order for the stick shift to fit?

Quick Reply: Noobie questions