SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aluminum steering rack bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 09:53 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Aluminum steering rack bushings

So, I got my aluminum bushings from driftmotion and as always Aaron gets everything out quickly and I had them in a few days after ordering.

Removing the old bushings took a few seconds, love my air tools. The old ones where just metal sleeves with a slight rubber coating, just totally shot. I could see the rubber grommet that goes around the rack left marks where it was sliding, and it was sliding pretty far. The rubber grommet was also in perfect shape no sign of wear or being loose. I would like to had replaced it if I could find it to buy but I feel fine re-using it in the condition it was.

As for installing the new bushings they were a bit of a pain. I did the ones on the bracket/body side first. The upper was just a pain to reach in general but I got the bushing started and they are a really really tight fit. I used a bolt and washers to press the bushing in place half at a time and it took a lot of force to edge the bushing into the rack. I used the ole air hammer to pop the lower 2 in place. I don't think I could ever get them back out undamaged if I wanted to being that they are pressed in so tight.

Once in place it took some doing to get the holes lined up with no wiggle room with the solid bushings. I also think the lip on the bushings push the rack forward and upward just a hair. Or, just with the exact tolerances and them being solid makes for a tricky alignment of the 2 holes, at least for me. I replaced all the hardware and was starring at the lower bushing bolt trying to figure out how am I supposed to get a wrench on the nut side with that lower bracket in the way and no space for a long socket. I then realized, the bracket comes off, the bolts were so covered in grim that I barely saw them ha. Bracket out of the way the bolts torqued right down, rubber grommet back in place and off for a test drive.

Just backing out of the driveway I noticed a huge difference. As mentioned the old bushings were totally gone so anything would have been an improvement. Any input to the wheel has a direct effect on the car now and it feels perfect. I feel no vibrations or anything different going over bumps. I was hitting road reflectors and any kind of crack in the road just to get a feel for things and it felt like nothing has changed. I was also twitching the wheel back and forth at high speeds to feel for a dead spot, I bet if anyone saw me they were sure that I was drunk. Everything feels great with immediate steering input and nothing negative that I could feel.

In the end, I am glad I went this route and ordered from a quality vendor and got a good price for a great product.

95 sc300
Old 05-15-11, 12:34 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, did you take any pictures? For $40 bucks i think i might do it as well
Old 05-15-11, 12:53 AM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Nice, did you take any pictures? For $40 bucks i think i might do it as well
No pictures, I was covered in grease and grim, I didn't want to touch a camera. Also the pictures would have just shown all the grease and grim ha.

The install is straight forward, 4 nuts/bolts that come off then press the 4 bushings in. Again, the hardest part was lining everything up for me and could not be a problem for others.
Old 05-15-11, 03:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I'll have to order a set next month.
Old 05-15-11, 06:14 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine a week ago and they make a huge difference!