SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power steering has a "shudder", What is the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 10:43 AM
VanillaSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same but it didn't start until after my control arms and tie rod ends were installed. I had the pump replaced with a reman a few months ago. I'm not too worried about it, my priority is getting this front end aligned properly first. I'm subscribed to see if there is a solution tho...

Last edited by VanillaSC; 05-16-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 11:26 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you put in a reman and it still does this?
Old 05-16-11, 04:56 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had new pressure lines, reman pump, and daizen rack bushings installed a few months ago but it did not start "shuddering" until a few weeks ago after I had UCAs, LCAs, and tie rod ends installed. It only seems to happen when I'm parking and turning the wheel to the left. The shop that put the control arms and tie rods ends did an alignment, but did a terrible job so I brought the car back to them the next day showed them the "shudder" and a clunking sound that did not exist until they had worked on it. They said the clunking was my sway bar end links. So they "aligned" it again and when I got the car back there was no change. I'm never going back to that shop and in a few weeks I plan to try another local shop that specializes in aligning lowered cars and lifted trucks, I should have taken it to them in the first place. Hopefully with new swaybar end links and yet another alignment there will be some improvement. Sorry for being long winded...
Old 05-16-11, 05:14 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Mine does the same, it's very random though. What's Interesting though is mine has done this with two different ps pumps (the original and the one on my 1j) keep us updated if you happen to find the root cause
Old 05-16-11, 05:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

You guys make me think the rack could be to blame...
Old 05-16-11, 06:45 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the same problem, I could never figure out what causes this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ped-video.html
Old 05-16-11, 07:22 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

That is exactly what mine is doing and now this is getting interesting since it appears more people have the same exact problem, I wonder if it could be fluid related?
What fluid did you use^^
Old 05-16-11, 08:54 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am going through the same thing and made a post about it in the suspension forums and posted a video. I rebuilt my PS pump (for $15 from rockauto) this weekend and flushed it 3 times and bled the air out-issue istill there. I replaced the rack bushings, no change.

It only makes sense it's the rack as there's nothing else left to try, but I decided to call into a national AM radio car talk show and described the problem. The piston inside the rack is worn out and the fluid just gets pushed around and leaks through (no external leaks) and doesn't produce enough pressure,so the wheel and steering vibrate when turning left. I asked the host about rebuilding the rack with a kit for about $30 and he said it's just too much hassle and a rebuilt kit will have everything "new".

A rebuilt rack can be had for around $200, just search around.

-Luxor I know you had the rack replaced and you still had the issue but it's possible it could be the control valve on the rack. I don't know if a rebuilt kit comes with that.

-Xpsi - hold off on the fluid for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEkLUPAolc

Last edited by ISFFUN; 05-16-11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 09:36 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Hmm I will get the rebuild kit from rock auto then just to have that clear in my mind and I have inspected the rack even with the boots off and no leakage or any sort of blow by.

I had some of the other techs here at work look at it and they were also at a bit of a loss and the only thing we could agree on is that the fluid may be to blame.
Old 05-16-11, 09:38 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine used to do this. I replaced the pump and it did it one more time and then I convinced myself that it only happened when turning the wheel quickly while the car was stationary (or near so). I've only turned it while rolling since then and I haven't had it happen ever again, but I did try to evoke the symptom today by turning the wheel aggressively with the car stationary but it wouldn't happen. Maybe it decided to fix itself?
Old 05-16-11, 09:58 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Mine used to do this. I replaced the pump and it did it one more time and then I convinced myself that it only happened when turning the wheel quickly while the car was stationary (or near so). I've only turned it while rolling since then and I haven't had it happen ever again, but I did try to evoke the symptom today by turning the wheel aggressively with the car stationary but it wouldn't happen. Maybe it decided to fix itself?
Yea it only seems to happen when turning the wheel quickly and does not do it all of the time even
Old 05-17-11, 08:57 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Yea it only seems to happen when turning the wheel quickly and does not do it all of the time even
To me it felt like something elastic was loading and unloading rapidly causing the skipping/shuddering.
Old 05-17-11, 09:49 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
I am going through the same thing and made a post about it in the suspension forums and posted a video. I rebuilt my PS pump (for $15 from rockauto) this weekend and flushed it 3 times and bled the air out-issue istill there. I replaced the rack bushings, no change.

It only makes sense it's the rack as there's nothing else left to try, but I decided to call into a national AM radio car talk show and described the problem. The piston inside the rack is worn out and the fluid just gets pushed around and leaks through (no external leaks) and doesn't produce enough pressure,so the wheel and steering vibrate when turning left. I asked the host about rebuilding the rack with a kit for about $30 and he said it's just too much hassle and a rebuilt kit will have everything "new".

A rebuilt rack can be had for around $200, just search around.

-Luxor I know you had the rack replaced and you still had the issue but it's possible it could be the control valve on the rack. I don't know if a rebuilt kit comes with that.

-Xpsi - hold off on the fluid for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEkLUPAolc
This is very good information, it does actually make sense because even with my new rack, I can't turn my wheel quickly as I could with my old rack. Maybe the piston in the rack was not part of the rebuild and the pressure is bleeding through causing the shudder.
Old 05-17-11, 10:14 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Control arms seem to be a common theme with this-please do not take this suggestion as an end all point the fingers at the control arms, I'm just speculating. I'll know for sure when I get my rack replaced.

Is there anyone on a STOCK suspension (no poly bushings) that has this problem? That may rule out a bunch of things.

BTW - just to point out that if you rebuild your PS pump make sure to clean the reservoir out really well. There was a lot of buildup like carbonized (?) stuff and little rock pieces or something in there. I had to use an air hose and some paint thinner (rinsed well) to get stuff to come out of the filter grate at the bottom of the reservoir.

Last edited by ISFFUN; 05-17-11 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 11:18 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am on stock suspension 100%.

Quick Reply: Power steering has a "shudder", What is the cause?