SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power steering has a "shudder", What is the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 07:41 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power steering has a "shudder", What is the cause?

I have changed the fluid 3 times and installed an inline filter however since I did all of that it has developed an intermittent "shudder" mainly when turning the wheel to the left but will also do it when turning right and only really does it when in park as it is fine while driving.

I have bled and re bled this thinking that was air but I really don't think that is the case here but I am at a bit of a loss

And before I get told to search I should state I have searched and nothing definitive as to a cause or a possible solution just people saying they have the same problem.

Open to any suggestions.
Old 05-15-11, 08:07 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean by shudder, as in the steering wheel tries to kick back in the opposite direction you are turning? Or is it moving slightly on it's own (twitching)
Old 05-15-11, 08:11 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

No more like a skip type of feel so not smooth Not sure on how to explain it really.
Old 05-15-11, 08:35 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm mine has recently developed a slight dead spot or lack of resistance/feedback when turning we might be having the same issue but are describing it differently. I have not physically been able to get under the car to see what condition the rack/bushings are in, I'm sure it's not my pump since it is relatively new and more then likely not the steering speed sensor. I wish I could help you more but I have yet to diagnose what is causing my issue.
Old 05-15-11, 08:51 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Well the dead spot seems like rack bushings as I had that problem and replaced them with aluminum bushings which helped the feedback drastically!
Old 05-15-11, 08:54 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

kind of sounds like car might be idleing a bit low and the pump is not pumping enough fluid in. that is why it only does it in park and when your driving its fine, since the rpm is higher.
Old 05-15-11, 08:55 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do me a favor to help me touble shoot here...

1: while in park, hold the throttle at around 1500-2000 RPMs and run it threw a full Lock to Lock cycle for me. do this a few times. Tell me the results

2: Trace and check all the Rubber AND hard line for any Kinks or sharp bends.

3: Let the car sit a good 2 hours or so prior to doing this, Take the power steering cap off, look at the fluid or better yet take a picture for me. Then take a nice long drive (30 min or so) try to take a curvy way, Upon returning home take power stearing cap off WHEN THE CAR IS OFF and take another picture of the fluid for me. Post both of them here
Old 05-15-11, 09:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Do me a favor to help me touble shoot here...

1: while in park, hold the throttle at around 1500-2000 RPMs and run it threw a full Lock to Lock cycle for me. do this a few times. Tell me the results

2: Trace and check all the Rubber AND hard line for any Kinks or sharp bends.

3: Let the car sit a good 2 hours or so prior to doing this, Take the power steering cap off, look at the fluid or better yet take a picture for me. Then take a nice long drive (30 min or so) try to take a curvy way, Upon returning home take power stearing cap off WHEN THE CAR IS OFF and take another picture of the fluid for me. Post both of them here
Ok I will do that, I assume you are looking for cavitation? I have also been looking for this at random times as well also I should note that it does this at idle or 4k rpm's so it seems unaffected by rpm's

The problem is seemingly random and the only pattern it seems to follow is that when it's on cold start up it seems worse.
Old 05-15-11, 09:58 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Yeah man. So its random huh?

there is nothing you can do to increase the chance of it "skipping" ?
Old 05-15-11, 10:00 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

What fluid are you using? Brand, and weight
Old 05-15-11, 10:03 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Just dex/merc and some walmart supertech brand however I am going to switch to redline ps fluid but I need to figure out this problem before I dump30.00 worth of redline in the system.

Pump runs quiet as well for what ir may be worth.
Old 05-15-11, 10:09 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Just dex/merc and some walmart supertech brand however I am going to switch to redline ps fluid but I need to figure out this problem before I dump30.00 worth of redline in the system.

Pump runs quiet as well for what ir may be worth.
No intermittent belt slippage or anything? Your Pump may just be going bad
Old 05-15-11, 10:51 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Nope no belt slipping and the belt is new as well also I should mention that when the belt was off I could turn it over pretty freely so there was no type of resistance or anything.

I am trying not to admit that the pump is going bad but I think everything is starting to point to it being tired.
Old 05-15-11, 11:01 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Nope no belt slipping and the belt is new as well also I should mention that when the belt was off I could turn it over pretty freely so there was no type of resistance or anything.

I am trying not to admit that the pump is going bad but I think everything is starting to point to it being tired.
yeah man, there should be a decent amount of resistance in the pump. like when you take your spark plugs out and manually turn over your motor.

I hate to say it man, but it sounds more and more like a pump issue. If everything else is checking out then it is most likely your pump
Old 05-15-11, 11:03 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yea I agree now I just need to find a place that sells a rebuild kit for the pump as I refuse to pay almost 300 for a reman.

Quick Reply: Power steering has a "shudder", What is the cause?