SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC's got shafted on standard equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11 | 04:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
They gave the GS the extra ten hp out of pity, I hate gs's and still dont know what their exact purpose is---are they a luxury sedan? Cross beetween sedan and a sports car? I dont know but they look like S$#%!!! . They can have there ten extra hp im fine with my choice.
What's wrong with the GS?
Old 05-18-11 | 04:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
What's wrong with the GS?
well in terms of performance and reliability im sure nothing is wrong at all.

I just done see what category it falls in, if customers wanted a luxury sedan they had the LS.

If they wanted a more sportier car they have the sc.

The Es even had its purpose as the more affordable, but still reliable sedan that carried the Lexus badge.

I just dont know where the GS comes in to play. Im assuming its a more sporty version of the LS sedan but im not sure, does it really perfom all that much better?

The early versions of the GS were somewhat of an eyesore and although the newer ones are much better looking they still arent my cup of tea.

No offense as I can see your a GS owner, there are plenty of people out there that love the GS's, im just a bigger fan of some of lexus's other models thats all.

Thanks and no offense to your car of choice.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 05-18-11 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-18-11 | 04:43 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

well in terms of performance and reliability im sure nothing is wrong at all.

I just done see what category it falls in, if customers wanted a luxury sedan they had the LS.

The Es even had its purpose as the more affordable, but still reliable sedan that carried the Lexus badge.

I just dont know where the GS comes in to play.
Then tell me, why did BMW make a 5-series?
Old 05-18-11 | 04:50 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Then tell me, why did BMW make a 5-series?
well the 5 series bmw seems to fit in very well in beetween the smaller 3 series and the huge 7 series.

It also looks pretty good considering im not a bmw fan either.

Was the GS the in beetween model for the ES and LS?
Old 05-18-11 | 04:56 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Easy now. How about former SC owners that are now fathers, yet feel an LS-sized vehicle too big? The GS is perfect for myself, since it can lug all my family stuff around, yet still has decent dynamics with Toyota's mid 90's-early millennium reliability, besides the lack of power that my Soarers have, can still be enjoyable to drive. And yes, I still own two Soarers as well

Talking about standard equipment, if you feel the SC3/400 isn't as well equipped spare a thought for turbo Soarer owners... manually adjustable steering column, non illuminated sunvisors, manual flip rear view mirror, no memory seats nor leather seats even available. My V8 has nearly all the bells and whistles though, bar sunroof and LSD (the options I wanted the most lol).

well the 5 series bmw seems to fit in very well in beetween the smaller 3 series and the huge 7 series.

It also looks pretty good considering im not a bmw fan either.

Was the GS the in beetween model for the ES and LS?
Yes it was. The GS was designed as a direct competitor within the luxury mid-size segment so against 5-series, E-Class, A6 etc. I'm not a BMW fan either, except for the 5-series though heh

Last edited by BLK13X; 05-18-11 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-18-11 | 05:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Easy now. How about former SC owners that are now fathers, yet feel an LS-sized vehicle too big? The GS is perfect for myself, since it can lug all my family stuff around, yet still has decent dynamics with Toyota's mid 90's-early millennium reliability, besides the lack of power that my Soarers have, can still be enjoyable to drive. And yes, I still own two Soarers as well

Talking about standard equipment, if you feel the SC3/400 isn't as well equipped spare a thought for turbo Soarer owners... manually adjustable steering column, non illuminated sunvisors, manual flip rear view mirror, no memory seats nor leather seats even available. My V8 has nearly all the bells and whistles though, bar sunroof and LSD (the options I wanted the most lol).

Yes it was. The GS was designed as a direct competitor within the luxury mid-size segment so against 5-series, E-Class, A6 etc. I'm not a BMW fan either, except for the 5-series though heh
point well taken

The LS is quite a big car and i can see if someone wanted a lexus a 4-door sedan with a little more pep then the GS would be a good buy. Agreed.

Also I agree my sc400 has all the luxuries I need, power everything, leather, sunroof etc.... I dont feel its lacking at all in that department.
Old 05-18-11 | 05:15 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Yeah, the LS doesn't fit in my carspace at my apartment lol. Still love my sports cars but need to be practical at the same time.

I just wished that when Lexus wasn't available in Japan that Toyota added all the goodies to their premium cars for export (ideally speaking about Soarers). Being one of their top sports cars at the time, you would think that they would have at least fitted an LSD from the factory.
Old 05-18-11 | 05:27 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Soarers had a crap load of options....EMV, 4-wheel steering, air suspension etc.
Old 05-18-11 | 06:18 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Soarers had a crap load of options....EMV, 4-wheel steering, air suspension etc.
Dude that is only the tip of the iceberg. In jamaica where my family is from we get the cars directly from japan and you would be surprised to see all the options a simple honda accord aka (Honda Inspire) would come with or a toyota 4runner aka (Toyota Hilux Surf). You would shake your head and wonder why we dont have this kind of technology in our cars when they are brought here...
Old 05-18-11 | 06:29 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I think we should be glad that we were spared for having all those options. Otherwise, we have crazy threads and diy to fix all the options is having trouble after 10 years. Plus I seen many people abused the SC, so people would have headaches fixing it. I know it is a lexus, but sometimes simple is better.

All I want is power windows/locks, leather and heated seats in a luxury car. Everything else is optional for me. Heck, i never use my tilt steering wheel.

But I do wish that SC came out with semi-auto and push-button shifts just like the GS,
Old 05-18-11 | 06:53 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Another reason why the SC didn't receive all the goodies, is a little thing called planned obsolescence. We all know they had the technology to completely equip these cars, but they didn't so they could put it in the next generation.
Old 05-18-11 | 07:00 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Another reason why the SC didn't receive all the goodies, is a little thing called planned obsolescence. We all know they had the technology to completely equip these cars, but they didn't so they could put it in the next generation.
haha so true, hard-top convertible. Oh why they didn't put it in the 1st gen LOL. Many of us would be rocking it.
Old 05-18-11 | 07:35 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

the SC300/400 was designed as a Toyota for the Japanese Domestic Market. its a luxury sports car. not a loaded sedan. Toyota merely rebadged it as a Lexus. compared to the JDM car. our SC's were at least loaded by comparison. from what i can gather anyway. all USDM SC's had leather interior and sunroofs, the JDM ones had cloth interior. we had analogue gauges and JDM had digitial Clusters. JDM cars (like all Soarers) have had touch screen radio's with navigation, ours just had some funky Lexus premium Stereo. between the v8 and 6 cylinder models the most i can figure out was heated seats and traction control, to me which are inconsequential.

anyways back to the topic. the LS is a flagship car, the SC when it was on sale wasn't. just a sports coupe.
Old 05-18-11 | 09:03 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Exactly!

Oh and I also forgot Dual Zone Climate Control (in the LS and the GS)

For the record, I love the GS, and definitely see the purpose - its serves that purpose amazingly well as well.

Its ok, I get allot of comfort in that my car is really beautiful lol

I also understand why the SC didn't come with the LSD, its meant to be a grand tourer, even the Porsche 928 didn't come with an LSD until the later years, even then it was an option on the sportiest model.
Old 05-18-11 | 03:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
Any of you guys get a bit irked about how many options the LS/GS has over the SC. In Canada the SC was a few thousand more than the LS but wow the options list on the GS/LS was extensive!

In my year, the LS had: (off the top of my head)

- Side Airbags
- Written Out Status Display below Guages
- Electric Seatbelts
- VSC, Stability Control
- Auto Windows Down/Up from the Keyfob
- GS 10+ Hp/TQ
- HID's
- Navigation
- One Touch Windows

I understand why they did that, doesn't make sense to invest a bunch of captial into the SC which sells in such low numbers, but Gah seriously?

I do get some solice in that my car is very rare

Just a ramble
What year? Sounds like a 98...well the thing is the GS was all new, the LS got a substantial upgrade and the SC gained some but not all of it as it was on the way out compared to the other two.

Quick Reply: SC's got shafted on standard equipment